By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

The better system is...

Nintendo 64 606 48.71%

Playstation 1 638 51.29%

Total:1,244

Too close for me to call. Even though the PS1 had the way, way, way, hilariously better overall library, I like them both about equally. The best N64 games were arguably better than the best PS1 games, but the PS1 had so many more, and really, you could easily flip that and say the best PS1 games were arguably better than the best N64 ISS 64 and it's sequels were the best football ( soccer ) games of their time, and are often forgotten in the pantheon of the best N64 titles. Yeah, they were sports games, but they kicked ass. So many other variables:

- Loading times
- Audio quality
- Cinematics/Cutscene quality
- Controller preference
- Software costs

Yeah, both were very nice.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

I bought a PS1 about a year after the N64 came out, which I got near launch.

Despíte the fact the PS1 had a bunch of high profile games, I have to be honest I had much more fun with the N64.

So it's N64 for me.

FarleyMcFirefly said:
Snesboy said:

Star Wars Rogue Squadron

Star Wars Shadows of the Empire

Jet Force Gemini

Conker's Bad Fur Day

I forgot about Shadows of the Empire. Great game. I never got around to Conker's Bad Fur Day. Does it play like the other Rare games on 64?

FarleyMcFirefly said:

Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask

Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 1-3
Paper Mario
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf

Smash Bros.

Kirby 64

Star Fox 64

Bomberman 64

GoldenEye

Perfect Dark

DK 64
Diddy Kong Racing

Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie

Flying Dragon

F-Zero X

Yoshi's Story

64 by miles. May not have as many games, but has some of the best games ever, and THE best game ever (OOT)

But look at the PS1 list though:

Abe's Exodus
Alundra I & II
Arc the lad I, II, II
Beyond the beyond (fantastic game)
Breath of Fire III, IV
Broken Sword I & II
Bugs Bunny - Lost in time
Bugs Bunney & taz - Time busters
Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross
Crash Bandicoot 1,2,3
Digimon World I,II,III
Discworld 1 & 2
Dino Crisis 1 & 2
Dragon Quest VIII
Eternal eyes (t-rpg)
Fear Effect 2
Final Fantasy IV,V,VI,VII,VIII,IX
Final Fantasy tactics
Front Mission 3
Grandia I
Guardians Crusada
Hoshigami - running blue earth
Jade Cocoon - legend of Tamamayu
Kartia the word of fate
Koudelka
Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Mana
Looney Tunes - Sheep Raider
Lunar I & II
Mega Man X3,X4,X5,X6
Metal gear solid
Metal Slug & X
Micro Machines V3
MDK
Persona 1 - Revelations
Persona 2 - Eternal Punishment
Railroad tycoon
Rayman 1,2
Resident Evil 1 & 2 & 3
Roll Away/Kula World
Saga Frontier I & II
Saiyuki - Journey West
StarOcean - the 2nd story
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Suikoden I & II
Thousand Arms
Tomb Raider 1,2,3,4,5
Valkyrie Profile
Vandal Hearts I & II
Wildarms I & II
Worms Armageddon
Xenogears

and so many more.

PS1 easily had tons more great games than the N64.

While playing on PS1 I never bothered with needing N64.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Games - N64
Visuals - N64
4 Player games - N64
Innovations - N64

Heck if it wasnt for the N64 the Dual Shock and Analog Sticks would have never existed.
PS1s very own 1st party games werent even in the same league as Nintendo and Segas.
N64 the best of what consoles can do.

It even put PCs to shame in the graphic department. Something consoles never did before and will never do again.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

Games - N64
Visuals - N64
4 Player games - N64
Innovations - N64

Heck if it wasnt for the N64 the Dual Shock and Analog Sticks would have never existed.
PS1s very own 1st party games werent even in the same league as Nintendo and Segas.
N64 the best of what consoles can do.

It even put PCs to shame in the graphic department. Something consoles never did before and will never do again.

Umm, the 3rd gen had consoles with very smooth horizozntal scrolling, which computers had a lot of trouble doing.

Azzanation said:

Games - N64 PS1
Visuals - N64  basically a tie.
4 Player games - N64  meh (again how often do you enjoy playing 4 players at once?)
Innovations - N64   (analog sticks wins this one)

Its all opinions mind you, but I dont agree with what you wrote.

I had a N64 too, and Mario64 was probably my favorite game that gen, however the volume of great games on the playstation puts it above the N64.

N64 had a handfull of great games (a few 10 out of 10's), but PS4 had 100's of games in the 8-9 range.

By quanty PS1 wins by miles and miles.

TheBlackNaruto said:
globalisateur said:

I agree for the bolded, but after Street Figher 2 on SNES I wasn't that much into fighting games. I tried a Tekken game on PS1 once, didn't like it. 

I find most PS1 RPGs I have seen rather ugly and awful to play. Like I can't stand FF7, FF8 types games. I don't like cinematics games and I find the gameplay (and graphics) of those 2D RPG quite average (and / or bad).

Well I can understand that seeing as you are not a real big fighting game fan or RPG fan for real. But they had other really good games as well Parasite Eve, MGS, the Resident Evil games, Castlevania SOTN, The Crash and Spyro games, Dino Crisis, Tony Hawk, Parappa the Rapper, Legacy of Kain, Silent Hill, Megaman X4, Ridge Racer, Twisted metal, Gran turismo etc.....heck and that is off the top of my head and I left out all the great RPG games they had.

A agree for the bolded (and I cited those game in my first post) and I should have cited Legacy of Kain which I also liked. But I find the gameplay / controls of most of the others game lacking.  Resident evil and Silent hill games on PS1 ? awful controls (even if I liked the atmosphere of Silent Hill but couldn't play the game because of the controls and gameplay. Crash and Spyro games ? Subpar games compared to Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie or B. Tooie.

Also I forgot Mario Kart 64 on N64. So much good memories with friends.

JRPGfan said:
Azzanation said:

Games - N64 PS1
Visuals - N64  basically a tie.
4 Player games - N64  meh (again how often do you enjoy playing 4 players at once?)
Innovations - N64   (analog sticks wins this one)

I had a N64 too, and Mario64 was probably my favorite game that gen, however the volume of great games on the playstation puts it above the N64.

N64 had a handfull of great games (a few 10 out of 10's), but PS4 had 100's of games in the 8-9 range.

Come on, I'm a PS1 guy myself, but why is it so hard for many others to admit that the N64 was more powerful and had better graphics?

VGPolyglot said:
JRPGfan said:

Come on, I'm a PS1 guy myself, but why is it so hard for many others to admit that the N64 was more powerful and had better graphics?

Was more powerfull yes.... but PS1 had some games that where really well optimised, or ended up looking better than you'd think the PS1 could do.

Theres enough games that look so good, it makes you question which system had the better looking games.

Legend of Mana:

megaman legends 2:

Metal gear solid:

Vagrant Story:

Breath of fire IV:

Final Fantasy IX: