By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokémon Direct 06/06 7am PT/10 ET

potato_hamster said:
Miyamotoo said:
Now only lefts to see if will be Switch exclusive or it will be cross release with 3DS.

This... now this is just precious.

Still convinced the Swtich is a 3DS successor?

Don't party just yet.

Quick reminder: It's the third Switch's month available in the market, there's plenty room for a new Pokemon announcement. Try to not shit on your pants when you will be proven wrong.

We reap what we sow

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Tell me about time where you didn't used excuses every 2 posts.

Hey man, I'm not the one claiming that the Switch is a 3DS successor. You are.

The fact that they announced yet another home console port for the Switch and announced another mainline portable handheld series game for the 3DS is further evidence that your claim is incorrect.

I don't need the excuses here, I have evidence. You're the one trying to come up with excuses as to why Nintendo keeps contradicting obvious moves if your theory is still correct.

Weren't you adament like a year ago that a Nintendo system with multiple performance modes was never, ever going to happen because programmers would not be able to optimize their games (ditto for a PS4 Pro and Scorpio)?

potato_hamster said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Tell me about time where you didn't used excuses every 2 posts.

The fact that they announced yet another home console port for the Switch and announced another mainline portable handheld series game for the 3DS is further evidence that your claim is incorrect.

I don't need the excuses here, I have evidence. You're the one trying to come up with excuses as to why Nintendo keeps contradicting obvious moves if your theory is still correct.

This is just hilarious, despite the fact that gamefreak does this every gen your level of reasoning is so blinded by the need to see what you want to see that you can't even see things as they are. Can't wait to see what kind of excuses you make in the future when someone remembers you this post.

irstupid said:
Nuvendil said:

I said it all the way back when this Stars for Switch rumor started late last year that those expecting a mainline Switch Pokemon this year were out of their minds. Sun and Moon JUST came out, an HD Pokemon will require a crap ton of resources to do right. It wasn't going to happen over night.

So from the perspective of someone grounded in reality, this was fine. A new Pokken release with all the arcade dlc plus new fighters and content on the Switch makes perfect sense for this year and I will be picking it up. As for Ultra Sun and Moon, not sure if I'll grab one of those, need to see a lot more.

Oh and to those saying this proves the Switch isn't replacing the 3DS, 5 words: black 2 and white 2.

We were not expecting a ton of resources. We were expecting a Sun/Moon clone just with resolution upped. That shoudl in no way take a year to do and not an unreasonable request.

Some may praise Nintendo for not half assing something, and doing what we wanted above. But in this case, we wanted a half assed update. Obviously we want a full fromt eh ground up made new pokemon game for the Swtich, but while we waited we wanted our Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD to hold us over. Or our Stars.

The issue is unlike WW and TP, Sun and Moon lack the basic polygonal complexity to just slap some HD textures on and call it a day.  Plus I guarantee that engine is not designed for any HD features at all and would be a terrible candidate for that approach.  It would look spectacularly bad and potentially run like hot garbage.  And to the outside gaming world, it would look like the cheapest port in history.  There's no way they would do that to their brand in transition to the Switch.  

People are complaining about "oh another port" with Pokken, but what you suggest would be a far worse case of that.  Besides, they have their big gun for the Holiday period.  No sense putting Pokemon there too.  Save it for an important slot in 2018.

WagnerPaiva said:
Maybe they can still port these 3DS games to the Switch later.
Can´t believe they still do not want to bring real Pokemon to the home consoles, even being a hybrid.

I think they will.  This is basically a low effort quick cash in.  Similar to MHX getting an XX version.  Now that's been ported to the switch in a third version.  I imagine next year they'll port this to the switch. 

It's easy money and from a business stand point it makes sense. 

Around the Network
Flilix said:
potato_hamster said:

When it comes to Nintendo doing what the die hards on this site are just convinced is obvious for Nintendo to do? You're right, I do have no hope for that.  You probably shouldn't have any either.

Are you still betting against a 3DS successor that is incompatible with the Switch? I bet part of you isn't as sure as you were a couple of months ago.

A new handheld would be a complete failure. The Switch is like a handheld but with better games and more ways to play.

The only thing that would make people buy this handheld rather than a Switch, are the games and the price (but I think that Nintendo will release a Switch without the dock and maybe also without HD rumble, which will be a lot cheaper).

The Switch is still too big and has too terrible of a battery life to be a truly portable system, and as you said, the price is a big challenge. The dock and HD rumble are two of the cheapest parts of the Switch, so that wouldn't make a big difference in price.  If Nintendo a made new portable console, they can ditch the joycons, make the unit smaller, increase the battery life,  lower their production costs, and thus lower the price.  All they need to do is keep their core portable franchises as portable exclusives and tens of millions of people will buy it. If they make it incompatible with Switch cartridges, they can sell millions more copies of games as their fans would undoubtedly double dip (as people are claiming this is Nintendo's reason for not annoucing a Switch version of Pokemon Sun/Moon at this time). Nintendo has a habit of encouraging their fans to double dip, and their fans have a habit of obliging. That's a big cash cow that I don't think Nintendo is willing to abandon.

Look, I'm not saying Nintendo should do this. I think Nintendo should make a more portable Switch and call it a day. However, this is Nintendo we're talking about. Nintendo isn't known for doing the obvious, and you cannot rule out any possibilities. It would be very Nintendo for Nintendo to launch a 3DS successor that is incompatible with the Switch, and it shouldn't come as a surprise to you if they do.

Nuvendil said:
irstupid said:

We were not expecting a ton of resources. We were expecting a Sun/Moon clone just with resolution upped. That shoudl in no way take a year to do and not an unreasonable request.

Some may praise Nintendo for not half assing something, and doing what we wanted above. But in this case, we wanted a half assed update. Obviously we want a full fromt eh ground up made new pokemon game for the Swtich, but while we waited we wanted our Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD to hold us over. Or our Stars.

The issue is unlike WW and TP, Sun and Moon lack the basic polygonal complexity to just slap some HD textures on and call it a day.  Plus I guarantee that engine is not designed for any HD features at all and would be a terrible candidate for that approach.  It would look spectacularly bad and potentially run like hot garbage.  And to the outside gaming world, it would look like the cheapest port in history.  There's no way they would do that to their brand in transition to the Switch.  

People are complaining about "oh another port" with Pokken, but what you suggest would be a far worse case of that.  Besides, they have their big gun for the Holiday period.  No sense putting Pokemon there too.  Save it for an important slot in 2018.

And they're going to need Pokemon for 2018 since they've already exhausted most of their universal console sellers this year with 3D Zelda, 3D Mario, Splatoon, Mario Kart and probably Smash (if it gets the 'Deluxe' treatment).  A lot of us are xpecting Animal Crossing next year but Nintendo really needs Pokemon to carry the holidays in 2018.

Game Freak follows it's own rules, for better or worse. Whether you like it or not, it's what's got the franchise's value into the billions and TPCI just had probably it's highest retail sales ever last year with 3.3 billion retail sales and has made so much profit it makes almost every gaming company cry.

Goodnightmoon said:
potato_hamster said:

This is just hilarious, despite the fact that gamefreak does this every gen your level of reasoning is so blinded by the need to see what you want to see that you can't even see things as they are. Can't wait to see what kind of excuses you make in the future when someone remembers you this post.

Gamefreak does this every gen? Go ahead. Remind me when they ported Pokemon Stadium series to the  Gameboy Color? Or when they ported Pokemon Colosseum to the DS? How about when they ported Pokemon Battle to the 3DS?

What's that? Never happened? In fact it appears that the mainline Pokemon games have appeared exclusively on Nintendo's mainline portable consoles, and the Pokemon Spin-offs like Stadium, Snap, Pokken Tournament etc. only appear on home consoles. This trend continues with the latest announcement.

It's as if Gamefreak, like Nintendo, is treating the Switch like a home console first and foremost. Imagine that.

potato_hamster said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Gamefreak does this every gen? Go ahead. Remind me when they ported Pokemon Stadium series to the  Gameboy Color? Or when they ported Pokemon Colosseum to the DS? How about when they ported Pokemon Battle to the 3DS?

What's that? Never happened? In fact it appears that the mainline Pokemon games have appeared exclusively on Nintendo's mainline portable consoles, and the Pokemon Spin-offs like Stadium, Snap, Pokken Tournament etc. only appear on home consoles. This trend continues with the latest announcement.

It's as if Gamefreak, like Nintendo, is treating the Switch like a home console first and foremost. Imagine that.

Man, this is gonna be so embarrasing for you when they announce Pokemon Stars or something similar next year. But I can't wait.