By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokémon Direct 06/06 7am PT/10 ET

V-r0cK said:
tak13 said:

Yes, but technically it's a third version with two sub-versions! 

Ha, history repeat itself...

2012 Black 2 and White 2, Kyurem x Reshiram and Kyurem x Zekrom, now 2017 Ultra moon and Ultra sun, necrozma x lunala & necrozma x Solgaleo!

I'm glad they didn't name the Sun 2 and Moon 2, haha....

From what I read, they say it's an 'updated version' ...no idea what that means.

It's just like Emerald/Platinum, they make very little changes but they still make 2 games so that sales stay high...

h2ohno said:
I'm actually glad that the equivalent to Black and White 2 are 3DS games. It has been far too soon since Sun and Moon for a true HD Pokemon. If Stars or Ultra S/M were to come to the Switch they'd essentially be up-resed versions of a 3DS engine. And I for 1 have much higher hopes for the first HD Pokemon game. If there was ever a series I wanted to go open world, this is it. Let us see the Pokemon in the distance, without random encounters. Lets have fields full of dozens of species. Let us interact with our Pokemon without needing menus like Pokemonimee. Let us go on a real adventure.

That just wouldn't be possible in Alola, or this quickly. Maybe if they had never made Sun and Moon in the first place and had started work on the Switch game in early 2016.

It's not, they are updated versions, not direct sequels!

Around the Network
Luke888 said:
V-r0cK said:

From what I read, they say it's an 'updated version' ...no idea what that means.

It's just like Emerald/Platinum, they make very little changes but they still make 2 games so that sales stay high...

h2ohno said:
I'm actually glad that the equivalent to Black and White 2 are 3DS games. It has been far too soon since Sun and Moon for a true HD Pokemon. If Stars or Ultra S/M were to come to the Switch they'd essentially be up-resed versions of a 3DS engine. And I for 1 have much higher hopes for the first HD Pokemon game. If there was ever a series I wanted to go open world, this is it. Let us see the Pokemon in the distance, without random encounters. Lets have fields full of dozens of species. Let us interact with our Pokemon without needing menus like Pokemonimee. Let us go on a real adventure.

That just wouldn't be possible in Alola, or this quickly. Maybe if they had never made Sun and Moon in the first place and had started work on the Switch game in early 2016.

They called it an 'alternate story' in the direct, meaning it's a different plot.  That makes it a sequel.

I'm home, what did I miss?

An awful direct I see... Oh well, I'll have enough other games to buy this year.

h2ohno said:
Luke888 said:

They called it an 'alternate story' in the direct, meaning it's a different plot.  That makes it a sequel.

An alternate story? Interesting.  But then I personally wouldn't call it a sequel but another origin.

mZuzek said:
It's truly fascinating how Game Freak never fails to disappoint.

I know some are salty, but I think if you look back on their history, it's not surprising. Plus, transitioning from handheld to HD is another thing. Yes MHXX says otherwise, but Capcom had MH3U so they at least had experience with HD development, something Game Freak is apparently trying to get used to if reports of them hiring those with Wii U and Vita experience says anything.

Around the Network
h2ohno said:
Luke888 said:

Pokémon Platinum had an alternate story too since you visited Giratina's world, I know The Pokémon Company's wording too well to not understand when they are proposing a rehash rather than a proper sequel, just like I know that the "New Pokémon" they mentioned are the alternative forms for Solgaleo/Lunala, likely Marshadow and MAYBE a few extra Alola forms

About time Nintendo strong-armed GF into actually developing something on their most important console. They should tell GF to put up or fuck off!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Miyamotoo said:
Now only lefts to see if will be Switch exclusive or it will be cross release with 3DS.

This... now this is just precious.

Still convinced the Swtich is a 3DS successor?

potato_hamster said:
Miyamotoo said:
Now only lefts to see if will be Switch exclusive or it will be cross release with 3DS.

This... now this is just precious.

Still convinced the Swtich is a 3DS successor?

You are completely hopeless

I said it all the way back when this Stars for Switch rumor started late last year that those expecting a mainline Switch Pokemon this year were out of their minds. Sun and Moon JUST came out, an HD Pokemon will require a crap ton of resources to do right. It wasn't going to happen over night.

So from the perspective of someone grounded in reality, this was fine. A new Pokken release with all the arcade dlc plus new fighters and content on the Switch makes perfect sense for this year and I will be picking it up. As for Ultra Sun and Moon, not sure if I'll grab one of those, need to see a lot more.

Oh and to those saying this proves the Switch isn't replacing the 3DS, 5 words: black 2 and white 2.