By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The British general election. (HUNG PARLIAMENT)

Tagged games:

Hung Parliament?

Hang Parliament! 4 33.33%

Handwaving Participant 1 8.33%

Heated Posterior 0 0%

Home Parlour 1 8.33%

Hetero Positioning 1 8.33%

Herbivore Pterodactyl 2 16.67%

Health Points 3 25.00%

Total:12
Ka-pi96 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Corbyn's solution to terrorism is cutting off their funding. Ie stop selling weapons to Saudi Arabia. We've tried bombing, all it does it make more terrorists to replace the dead ones. 

Well perhaps if he wanted a travel ban to/from saudi too (ie. what trump should have done), then maybe he'd have a point!

Because a travel ban doesn't solve anything. If anything it alienates everyone from those countries and fuels their hatred of the west. And has an unecessary effect on citizens around the world, where anyone who had recently been to the country wouldn't be able to travel to the UK, educators, doctors, dentists who live in France, germany etc wouldn't be allowed entry if they'd visited a family member in one of those countries. Under Trumps travel ban. 

It solves nothing. The way to end Isis is to cut off their funding. Unless they're funding themselves and working jobs at mcdonalds. No money, no guns, no means of continuing on with their 'mission'.  And that's what Corbyn wants to do, not gather them all and have a stern talking to or hugging. Don't strawman like that.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Because a travel ban doesn't solve anything. If anything it alienates everyone from those countries and fuels their hatred of the west. And has an unecessary effect on citizens around the world, where anyone who had recently been to the country wouldn't be able to travel to the UK, educators, doctors, dentists who live in France, germany etc wouldn't be allowed entry if they'd visited a family member in one of those countries. Under Trumps travel ban. 

It solves nothing. The way to end Isis is to cut off their funding. Unless they're funding themselves and working jobs at mcdonalds. No money, no guns, no means of continuing on with their 'mission'.  And that's what Corbyn wants to do, not gather them all and have a stern talking to or hugging. Don't strawman like that.

Well they're hardly the only people who hate the west. When's the last time there was a north korean terrorist attack though? Maybe there's so few because we actually have strict travel controls over people coming/going there and have numerous economic sanctions against them. Basically, we're not inviting them in to our homes to kill us, we're staying away from them as much as possible and saying "you do your thing over there and we'll do our thing over here".

Not all people and ideologies are compatible, so rather than forcing them together and simply hoping for the best, how about just keeping them apart...

Really dude, North Korea? 

1. North Korean citizens don't hate the west, the government do.
2. North Korean citizens are too busy trying to find food than bombing us.
3. We aren't bombing North korean citizens.
4. The North Korean government aren't trying to bomb us, nor can they.
5. North Korean citizens can't even leave the country of their own will to bomb us up close
6. Did you seriously try to use North Korea as an example?
7. Seriously?

Or increase your vetting and looking into backgrounds, introduce a waiting list if needed, but a flat out ban isn't the answer which is why Trumps travel ban got blocked. Also all the reasons in my previous post still stand as valid reasons.

Also, you've yet to provide another alternative for dealing with Isis, nor have you acknowledge you knowingly/unknowingly misrepresenting facts about an anti-isis strategy. 

Ka-pi96 said:
super_etecoon said:
Can someone who is familiar with both the American political party system and the British political party system draw parallels between each...if they exist? Don't really know much about the British system.

Not that familiar with the American one, but from what I do know... Conservatives = Hilary Clinton Democrats. Labour = Bernie Sanders Democrats.

That would make UKIP Donald Trump and Libdems probably someone like Rand Paul. Greens are Greens, but SNP would be somewhat like Cherokee Party. Do I get these comparisons right?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Ka-pi96 said:
Mnementh said:

That would make UKIP Donald Trump and Libdems probably someone like Rand Paul. Greens are Greens, but SNP would be somewhat like Cherokee Party. Do I get these comparisons right?

That... actually seems pretty accurate

Not sure who Rand Paul or the Cherokee Party are though.

Cherokee Party I made up. But in my imagination the SNP are a tribe of people that define themself (or are defined by others) as different folk. Just like the indians, I just picked Cherokees randomly. Rand Paul is a strongly libertarian politician in the US. I'm not sure about this, as my understanding of the LibDems is fuzzy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rand_Paul

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Ka-pi96 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Really dude, North Korea? 

1. North Korean citizens don't hate the west, the government do.
2. North Korean citizens are too busy trying to find food than bombing us.
3. We aren't bombing North korean citizens.
4. The North Korean government aren't trying to bomb us, nor can they.
5. North Korean citizens can't even leave the country of their own will to bomb us up close
6. Did you seriously try to use North Korea as an example?
7. Seriously?

Or increase your vetting and looking into backgrounds, introduce a waiting list if needed, but a flat out ban isn't the answer which is why Trumps travel ban got blocked. Also all the reasons in my previous post still stand as valid reasons.

Also, you've yet to provide another alternative for dealing with Isis, nor have you acknowledge you knowingly/unknowingly misrepresenting facts about an anti-isis strategy. 

1. You literally just implied saudi are funding the terrorism and therefore encouraging hatred of the west. So yeah, the same thing the NK government is doing, except actually worse because NK are only encouraging hatred of the west and not funding terrorists...

2. And if they weren't... they'd just be like "woo, we got food!" and still not bombing us...

3. We could easily not be bombing citizens in muslim countries too... in fact the majority of muslim countries we already aren't bombing!

4. No recognised muslim government is "officially" trying to bomb us either...

5. And with a proper travel ban the same would be true of muslims!

6/7. Yes, because believe it or not NK actually looks good in comparison!

1. Yes, saudi arabia is an awful, sexist terrorist funding country. I already said I have no problem with vetting. Vetting citizens from Saudi Arabia coming into the UK/US or anywhere I'd be okay with. 

2. Well yeah, because they can't even get here.

3. We could, and that would be a good step but Theresa may isn't going to do that, if anything she'll be encouraged to bomb them even harder. We had old men screaming at Corbyn to incinerate millions of people the other night. 

4. You're right they aren't.

5. I've already stated twice why a travel ban is a terrible Idea, the highest courts in america know it, which is why it was blocked. 

Still waiting on that strawman acknowledgment..

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:

With auterity our debt has gone up far more then when the wasn't austerity, this highlights that it was never about reducing debt but cutting costs for one class of people to benefit the pockets of a few at the top. We had cuts to disabled people and all yet the tax cuts for big businesses remained with the likes of Starbucks and Google even getting away with not paying any tax for years and this was with the so called mob worthy of finance. As someone who works in finance I'm going to tell you this the debts are never going to disappear because of the econmic system employed, they're always going to be there because of how banks and financial institutes operate.

I will give Corbyn his due as his plan and vision is coherant and want's to return some of what the Thatcher days got rid of.

The 2008 recession makes direct comparisons on that front rather difficult. After the crash the UK's borrowing skyrocketed, and that borrowing had to be continued under the Conservatives (hence the infamous "I'm afraid there is no money" note that was left to the conservatives in 2010). Since then the Conservatives have pulled net borrowing down from its 153 billion peak to 43 billion in 2016 (about in line with what Labour were borrowing).

I'm not saying austerity has been the correct approach, but we can't linearly draw a line between it and our debt and say "it's not working". The conservatives were left with quite the shitshow when they took power.

I almost feel sorry for May, she's such a great leader but she really got in charge in the worst possible timing, not only she's got Brexit, but now terrorism is out of control

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

What is this "more than two choices" nonsense? O_o

My poll is interesting. Isn't VGC lefty as whole? I know it's not as left as some other gaming sites, but this looks like a poll from the start of the election.

I'm not British. However, when it comes to British politics, my leanings are toward the Labour Party.

...Oh, let's be more honest, I'd probably vote the Scottish National Party if I lived in Scotland. Life in Britain doesn't seem like it would be worth it these days. Scotland seems cooler than England anyway.

I wish secessionism were practical here in the U.S. Unfortunately, being Texan, voting to leave the U.S. might be hazardous to my health, as Texas is a much more conservative place than the U.S. overall is.