By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What can Microsoft do to compete with the PS4 and Switch this holiday?

Uabit said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

So .... will you buy Scorpio ?

No because all Xbox exclusives are coming to PC but there are people that just dont want to play on PC and don't care about Sony's exclusives. For those people the Scorpio would be the best place to play being more powerful than the pro and having better online and controller (the controller thing is a matter of opinion ofc).

OK, thanks !

Around the Network
5drew00 said:
Microsoft blew it when Xbox One launched at $500 against $400 PS4. MS could be neck and neck with Sony in sales now if Kinect 2 had been sold separately.

That's why Scorpio cannot launch at $500 either. PS4 Pro came in at $400. History repeating itself.

I do not see how Scorpio can debut at $400 maybe $450 but PS4 Pro will drop at least to $350 a $100 difference again. And Switch is $300 with Mario Odyssey this holiday.

I cannot wait for MS E3 press conference in 2 Weeks, maybe MS will surprise us with Scorpio price.

Thats what happens when they try to beat Sony at their own game. Sony knew the PS4 with true 4k would be jumping the gun because the market wasnt ready yet. They decided to focus on streaming. They had to make an upgrade that could reach a reasonable price. If Microsoft sells the Scorpio at $399, they would be taking PS3 sized losses....but luckily only on a small amount of secondary hardware because it was never expected for the scorpio to outsell the base model Xbox One S.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
5drew00 said:
Microsoft blew it when Xbox One launched at $500 against $400 PS4. MS could be neck and neck with Sony in sales now if Kinect 2 had been sold separately.

That's why Scorpio cannot launch at $500 either. PS4 Pro came in at $400. History repeating itself.

I do not see how Scorpio can debut at $400 maybe $450 but PS4 Pro will drop at least to $350 a $100 difference again. And Switch is $300 with Mario Odyssey this holiday.

I cannot wait for MS E3 press conference in 2 Weeks, maybe MS will surprise us with Scorpio price.

Thats what happens when they try to beat Sony at their own game. Sony knew the PS4 with true 4k would be jumping the gun because the market wasnt ready yet. They decided to focus on streaming. They had to make an upgrade that could reach a reasonable price. If Microsoft sells the Scorpio at $399, they would be taking PS3 sized losses....but luckily only on a small amount of secondary hardware because it was never expected for the scorpio to outsell the base model Xbox One S.

Geez, it's almost as if Sony was the first console maker or something. What exactly is "their game" you're referencing here? Seems like the natural progression of technology. 4k is the next step. Sonys game is more like FauxK. Is it surprising that launching a year later Microsoft has a console that can hit that target easier? If MS we're going the Sony route wouldn't they be cheaping out on hardware, settling for workarounds to reach something similar to 4k and making people stream 4k content? For you to say they're taking PS3 sized losses at 399.... I mean, which is it? They're either trying to beat Sony at their own game by cheaping out on hardware or they're releasing this prolific beast of a console that will have them losing money for years and years. One of those things is not like the other.

Also, wasn't PS3 still losing money into 2010? LOL if you think MS will be losing money on Scorpio 4 years in with a $400 launch price.

I think MS perhaps didn't appreciate that a substantial part of their user base has been PC mains who pick up Xbox for the exclusives, like Halo. Without strong exclusives that aren't available on PC, there is one market segment gone. And then there's the PS main PC secondary, who used to pick up Xbox for the exclusives as well. But now everything is on PC, so PS4 and PC it is.

These market segments are not going to be interested in Scorpio, since as either PC mains, or PC secondaries they will have PCs that are better than Scorpio without some very compelling exclusives. But if MS puts some compelling exclusives on Xbox that might bring some of those gamers back to the console.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

malistix1985 said:
Peh said:
There is nothing. They don't even release exclusive games anymore. So, PC user's like me, don't bother with the Xbox brand.

not nessesarily true I know multiple of my friends who have great pc's who will pick up a Xbox Scorpio this year its a great way when you buy a game in windows store to use for multiplayer lan, because when you put the xbox as your home console anyone can play the purchased games and when they drop by you can set up games togheter with a snap of your finger.

its also a good media center, its actually quite a nice device for pc gamers, I like the features more then the PS4 and would prefer it over even tough I will end up owning both since I have a ps4 since launch

I think these are smaller niche markets than you might think. While those points are certainly vaild, no one buys a console primarily of for media centre functionality. and I don't know that LANs are as big as they used to be.

iZombie rocks!

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Scorpio will help Microsoft take back america and uk.

Nothing, except turn xbox into a PC. Full windows control, in which you can install every windows program you want.
Including, of course, steam.

We need a Bethsoft RPG exclusive...

It's a long shot outside the US. I think that there MS still has a chance, but Europe and especially Japan are lost for them most likely. Even in the US it needs some big game releases to be competitive. The Scorpio alone is not going to be enough if it doesn't have a strong lineup of new games to support it.

I think a lot of Xbox's failings have been down to not even just the launch.

But the lack of year round games.
Lack of new IP.
Masterchief collection kinda set the tone.

I think they've honestly done a lot wrong since launch. Xbox One S being a definite highlight and good move though.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'