By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What can Microsoft do to compete with the PS4 and Switch this holiday?

zero129 said:
binary solo said:
I think MS perhaps didn't appreciate that a substantial part of their user base has been PC mains who pick up Xbox for the exclusives, like Halo. Without strong exclusives that aren't available on PC, there is one market segment gone. And then there's the PS main PC secondary, who used to pick up Xbox for the exclusives as well. But now everything is on PC, so PS4 and PC it is.

These market segments are not going to be interested in Scorpio, since as either PC mains, or PC secondaries they will have PCs that are better than Scorpio without some very compelling exclusives. But if MS puts some compelling exclusives on Xbox that might bring some of those gamers back to the console.

If them PC users where buying an Xbox for the exclusives instead of a PS4. Why now would they choose a PS4?. I think MS games being on PC doesnt have as big an impact as it would seem on VGC. For instance here on VGC you would think every console owner also owns a monster PC. But away from VGC out of all the people interested in consoles only a small % of them are also interested in PC and own one.

I didn't say they would pick up a PS4. And I said these were 2 market segments, that bought, or were potential buyers of Xbox because of Xbox exclusives which now no longer have much reason to buy Xbox / Scorpio. I didn't say they were the whole market. Read with a bit more discernment.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Nothing.

Nothing.  This Gen is a lost cause for MS, they are hoping to regain credibility with Scorpio, laying the groundwork for the xboxTwo.

Wait for next gen and do as best they can to ride this one out. Sony and Nintendo have a lock on this gen.

Nothing is the short answer.

For the longer answer, look at Amazon. The XBO is $249 right now, yet it failed to chart in April and it's looking to repeat that again this month. It will most likely remain that way unless they drop the price even further. But, even that would probably only land them around #50 for a little while. But, that's what happens when you cancel your anticipated exclusives and have nothing for months, while your competition has unique and varied exclusives launching every few months.

It doesn't help that Sony snagged up most 3rd party advertising deals because MS isn't willing to pump as much money into Xbox anymore. So all of those titles will be linked with PS.

Really it seems they are putting all of their eggs into one basket, the Scorpio. But, if a $249 console with little future exclusives isn't that appealing to people, having a $449-$499 one with the same lack of exclusives, but with prettier graphics, isn't going to change anything.

Nintendo was ultimately smart for going there own way, while playing to their strengths, handheld gaming. The Switch offers enough of a unique experience and its not truly competing with Sony in the home console market, that it has seen success. It's left to be seen if that continues, but so far the future looks bright.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
binary solo said:

I didn't say they would pick up a PS4. And I said these were 2 market segments, that bought, or were potential buyers of Xbox because of Xbox exclusives which now no longer have much reason to buy Xbox / Scorpio. I didn't say they were the whole market. Read with a bit more discernment.

Yeah i miss read that about PS4.

But the bolded still stands.

Perhaps. But I think MS miscalculated for Xbox by thinking there was no loss by having few / none truly Xbox exclusive games.

But ultimately Xbox is not MS's bread and butter, and it is more essential for MS to maintain, strengthen and grow Windows. To the extne that Xbox is important to that greater strategy MS will support Xbox. As Xbox sems to be of diminishing importance to Windows success, MS is less motivated to provide strong support to Xbox.

If strong PC gaming is what MS needs to keep Windows strong, then this will be prioritised potentially at the expense of Xbox. Was a time when people thought PC gaming was dead. So MS could prioritise Xbox for gaming, and this likely was beneficial to MS's broad strategy. Now arguably PC gaming is stronger than console (certainly stronger than Xbox), and services like Steam are making more games available on Linux and Apple. So possibly MS sees the greather threat as being alternative PC platforms for gaming rather than consoles. So making Windows exclusive games is more important than making Xbox exclusive games.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Buy SEGA and Capcom.
and Konami.
And nothing.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Steam support on Scorpio. Half-Life 3 time exclusive.

=P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

UltimateGamer1982 said:
Wait for next gen and do as best they can to ride this one out. Sony and Nintendo have a lock on this gen.

Switch just released...way way to early to be calling its success for its entire generation. Wait a year or 2 before calling this one. I'm sure its a huge improvement on Wii U tho in any case.

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

3sexty said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:

Switch just released...way way to early to be calling its success for its entire generation. Wait a year or 2 before calling this one. I'm sure its a huge improvement on Wii U tho in any case.

I agree it's early but look at it this way. Nintendo just ordered 18 million Switch units for year one. That's how many they're expecting to sell between now and fiscal 2018. Now take X1, which will already be 4 years old in November and is just barely or almost at the 30 million mark. 

Now assuming Switch sells the same or better in year 2, it'll be extremely close to X1's WW total and close to eclipsing it. I'm not saying that'll happen with 100% certainty, but Nintendo seems to be selling everything they ship as soon as it's stocked. 

Now Nintendo is coming with it's big gun for the holidays, Super Mario, which Microsoft is left without its halo and gears of war as they already released. Not to mention they're coming out with a $400-$450 console whereas Sony and Nintendo have more popular options at lower prices. 

Sure scorpio will have nice graphics but it's gonna need more than that. Reason why I'm feeling confident of Nintendo and Sony owning this gen with Microsoft bringing up the rear. Of course anything can happen and I could be totally wrong. Just my two cents.