By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I have an eerie feeling Sony is going to hold some announcements for PSX

I have a feeling that water is wet. Sony always has something new at PSX.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Alkibiádēs said:
Sony is good at showing things way too early...

- Death Stranding: announced at E3 2016, we haven't even seen gameplay yet or what kind of game it will be.
- Final Fantasy VII Remake: announced at E3 2015, but they only recently entered the development phase...
- Shenmue III: announced at E3 2015, we haven't even seen gameplay yet.
- Dreams: announced at E3 2015, haven't seen much of it since.

You forgot:

-Wild: Announced at Gamescom 2014, only been shown once since then at Paris Games Week 2015
-Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice- Announced at Gamescom 2014, and has barely been seen since then.
-Lily Bergamo: Announced in April 2013, it finally released as Let It Die in December 2016, 3 and a half years later.
-Deep Down: Announced at the PS4 reveal event in early 2013, only shown once since then.

And of course last gen there was:

-Agent: Announced at E3 2009, hasn't been shown since then.
-The Last Guardian: Announced at E3 2009, didn't release until 2016.

Of course MS and Nintendo have also been guilty of announcing some stuff too early this gen, though it hasn't been as bad as Sony for either of them.

Sony's strategy is to sell a lot of hardware with sofware that are not even near to be released, it has been like that since the ps3, sony fans get excited for a lot of CGI videos but the games are show to move current hardware but get released on a new iteration of PS5,6,7...

34 years playing games.

twintail said:
Alkibiádēs said:

- Death Stranding: announced at E3 2016, we haven't even seen gameplay yet or what kind of game it will be.
- Final Fantasy VII Remake: announced at E3 2015, but they only recently entered the development phase...

what a bizarre post. half of what you mentioned is not even up to Sony to decide.

DS is not even a year old, and this is Kojima, he loves making trailers for this games for every event possible.

FF7 is not Sony's game: SE decided when to announce it. And we have seen gameplay. And we have no idea what that posting is even ultimately for. After all, CyberConnect have been working on the development side too so its not just an SE only effort.

Shenmue 3 is also not Sony's game. They helped to promote a Kickstarter (which inevitably helped it a lot). Rest if up to Yu Suzuki and co to show off gameplay when they can.

And Dreams has had a lot of content shown off for it, just not at events. Sure, this one is on Sony but there is content, from creation to gameplay. 

Sony definitely made deals for all the games I mentioned, so no excuse. A big hardware company using E3 to promote a kickstarter campaign is just... uhhhh... 

MS and Sony's E3 conferences are usually all hype, but little actual substance (MS is even worse at this, their E3 2014 conference is so funny in hindsight). 

Moderated - Miguel

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

shikamaru317 said:
Of course they will, they do it every year. The also save a few for Gamescom/TGS/Paris Games Week usually.

They hadn't had a conference at Gamescom the last 2 years.

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

shikamaru317 said:

Alkibiádēs said:

You forgot:

-Wild: Announced at Gamescom 2014, only been shown once since then at Paris Games Week 2015
-Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice- Announced at Gamescom 2014, and has barely been seen since then.
-Lily Bergamo: Announced in April 2013, it finally released as Let It Die in December 2016, 3 and a half years later.
-Deep Down: Announced at the PS4 reveal event in early 2013, only shown once since then.

And of course last gen there was:

-Agent: Announced at E3 2009, hasn't been shown since then.
-The Last Guardian: Announced at E3 2009, didn't release until 2016.

Of course MS and Nintendo have also been guilty of announcing some stuff too early this gen, though it hasn't been as bad as Sony for either of them.

Scalebound - announced E3 2014, shown again at E3 2016, now cancelled

Phantom Dust reboot - announced E3 2014, got turned in to a remaster, presumably getting closer to a release now.

Fable Legends - announced E3 2014, now cancelled along with the shuttering of Lionhead

Crackdown 3 - announced E3 2014, still hasn't released.

Black Tusk's game - announced E3 2013, cancelled when Black Tusk became The Coalition and took over Gears isntead.

Below - announced E3 2013, hasn't released yet

So easy to cast the first stone isn't it.. Turns out game development can be complicated and delays/cancellations can happen due to unforeseen consequences. Now, do I think Microsoft and Sony should be more careful with showing of things that might be a while away from release? Yes, but to pretend like this is a "Sony" thing is ludicrous. It isn't, like you say, not as bad for MS as it is for Sony, it is just as bad.

Around the Network

You would want them to make new announcements at PSX, no? Blowing the whole load on everything for the next 2 years at E3 would suck for later game shows. Otherwise there's no point in the conference. Ideally, E3 should have information on content we'll receive between this year's E3 to next year's E3. This year's PSX should have information on content we'll receive between this year's PSX and next year's PSX. I know it doesn't workout that way but you would think there would be a plan similar to this that Sony follows.

EDIT: If you ask me there's already a lot of announced content that they should have held back on. Days Gone and God Of War were announced at last year's E3 because...?? I would have preferred them announced at PSX. Given more detail at this E3 and then launched this year before the next PSX. Instead were about to see these games at E3 again!

4 ≈ One

Teeqoz said:

So easy to cast the first stone isn't it.. Turns out game development can be complicated and delays/cancellations can happen due to unforeseen consequences. Now, do I think Microsoft and Sony should be more careful with showing of things that might be a while away from release? Yes, but to pretend like this is a "Sony" thing is ludicrous. It isn't, like you say, not as bad for MS as it is for Sony, it is just as bad.

The bolded especially holds true for WiLD since Michel Ancel is also working on Beyond Good and Evil 2.

You mean they're not going to hold a practically pointless event?

Why wouldn't they? If they have games set to release late 2018 or even 2019 I'd rather they announce them or show them off at the end of this year at PSX. E3 would be too early. I'm sure they'll have amazing announcements as always at both.

next gen PS portable announcement