By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Weekly, 15th April 2017

Rem87919394 said:
LipeJJ said:

It would be weird if you didn't try to downplay anything Nintendo. 

It's the only game really worth owning on Switch. I'd hope it'd sell well. Still a great game 

Everyone have different opinions and perspectives........ I can't believe you dont know this yet! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

I like reading excuses for why the new releases on a system with 60 million users can't keep up with a launch title on a supply constrained system. PS4 owners have so many new games to choose from that they're still buying GTAV.

Couldn't possibly be that it's just a popular game that would sell well on any system (and in fact has sold quite well on the dead and buried Wii U).

Related question: why are PS4 versions of multiplatform games outselling XBO versions considering the XBO's relatively dry release schedule?

Nintendo has ARMS and LEGS.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

the_dengle said:
I like reading excuses for why the new releases on a system with 60 million users can't keep up with a launch title on a supply constrained system. PS4 owners have so many new games to choose from that they're still buying GTAV.

Couldn't possibly be that it's just a popular game that would sell well on any system (and in fact has sold quite well on the dead and buried Wii U).

Related question: why are PS4 versions of multiplatform games outselling XBO versions considering the XBO's relatively dry release schedule?

ps4 sells almost half the sotware in the whole console market. Huge games like Zelda, Pokémon or GTA being recurrently in the top 10 won't tell how healthy a platform is for SW sales, of course not every new realeases will top them, no one seriously expects them to even with the userbase difference. 

Good thing is that Switch has started great in that department

the_dengle said:

Why does it have to be one or the other? Zelda can benefit from both pure popularity and a small library. The two aren't mutually exclusive, in-fact they likley compound each other.

The effect of a large library is made clear with every new chart. This week for instance the PS4 makes up 6 of the top 10 games (Tom Clancy, Yooka-Laylee, Horizon, UC4, Persona 5, and GTA5), and those 6 games combined represent only 27% of PS4 software sales. If we extend our view to the top 30 (the sales data limit on the charts), it makes up 19 of the games on that list and they still only represent 55%. That its total can be made up of so many games is indicative of having a large library, and that so many can sell 10s of thousands a week points to the effect of a large install base. Even GTA5, which is hardly representative of the average game, 'only' manages to be a tiny fraction of weekly sales. 

I agree some people take the argument way too far (being dismissive of Zelda's sales because of any single variable is just outright silly; it's an undeniable success), and for all we know Zelda might have had even better sales with different variables, but ultimately library is still a reverent factor. That some people exaggerate its effect doesn't change that.

Around the Network

Zelda continues to Slay!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

the_dengle said:

I was about to respond to that but it seems that other people have already done so.

What is VGC Pro anyway? Does it still even exist? Because I have Gold Supporter status, and yet it still doesn't let me see it!

Lawlight said:
LipeJJ said:

Zelda domination as always. I always said it would have better legs than people anticipated.

My modest prediction is that it will end its first year at 7m.

It would be weird if it's not dominating. 1 Switch sold = 1 game sold.

You get cause and effect wrong: 1 game (Zelda) sold = 1 Switch sold. Switch sells because of Zelda (well, now also because of MK8D), the game does not sell because peopleget a Switch with no idea what they want with it and taking Zelda with them because they're bored or something.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Zekkyou said:

Why does it have to be one or the other? Zelda can benefit from both pure popularity and a small library. The two aren't mutually exclusive, in-fact they likley compound each other.

It's an inherently flawed perspective because it assumes that Switch owners are buying Zelda because they have no choice rather than people buying Switches because they want to play Zelda. The "nothing else to buy" argument never made sense. It didn't apply last year when Wii U owners passed up Star Fox and Paper Mario despite having literally nothing else to buy and it doesn't apply this year with PS4 versions of Tom Clancy, For Honor, Mass Effect, and every other multiplatform game selling much better on PS4 than on XBO despite the PS4 also having several big exclusives while the XBO has had none.

There isn't some invisible upper limit of game sales. Zelda didn't take a big hit when Mario Kart released.