By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia discussion.

Cloudman said:
Well, I'm still playing Echoes and still loving it. I'm on chapter 3, slowly advancing on both sides, mostly because wild enemy groups spawn, and I need to wait for them to move away from other units on the map, otherwise main-story fights become too difficult to handle when merged. I don't mind taking them out, as it's extra EXP. Only main issue I'm having is just... having too many units. I don't need 3 mercenaries on Celica's team, and I feel the need to share the exp with all my units, but I'll manage. It's hard to put it down.

That was me a few hours ago. Started the Siege of Desaix's fortress, and had to deal with seven extra enemy shamans (or whatever they're called now). I'm playing on Hard to begin with, so it made advancing into the fort a huge pain in the ass. Figured I should probably back off and let the shamans come to me first.

Like you though, I'm digging it a lot. There have been some annoying design choices that I'm glad they changed (letting witches move after teleporting), but fortunately the levels are much shorter, usually taking 15 minutes or so. I'm liking the turnwheel too. I can see how it'd be easy to abuse, but it's helped thwart RNGesus more than once so far. Unless an enemy crits Alm or Celica, I don't have to worry about losing from BS luck anymore.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network
Super_Boom said:
Cloudman said:
Well, I'm still playing Echoes and still loving it. I'm on chapter 3, slowly advancing on both sides, mostly because wild enemy groups spawn, and I need to wait for them to move away from other units on the map, otherwise main-story fights become too difficult to handle when merged. I don't mind taking them out, as it's extra EXP. Only main issue I'm having is just... having too many units. I don't need 3 mercenaries on Celica's team, and I feel the need to share the exp with all my units, but I'll manage. It's hard to put it down.

That was me a few hours ago. Started the Siege of Desaix's fortress, and had to deal with seven extra enemy shamans (or whatever they're called now). I'm playing on Hard to begin with, so it made advancing into the fort a huge pain in the ass. Figured I should probably back off and let the shamans come to me first.

Like you though, I'm digging it a lot. There have been some annoying design choices that I'm glad they changed (letting witches move after teleporting), but fortunately the levels are much shorter, usually taking 15 minutes or so. I'm liking the turnwheel too. I can see how it'd be easy to abuse, but it's helped thwart RNGesus more than once so far. Unless an enemy crits Alm or Celica, I don't have to worry about losing from BS luck anymore.

Yeah, that was pretty annoying that witches can move after teleporting, even though they weren't a threat. The turnwheel is def great. It saved me a few times from a reset   ...Or when a unit misses their shot at 90%. "Come on dude, how can you miss that!!!! D:<"

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

spemanig said:
Yeah, I'm really liking this game so far. I understand that exploration and full VA aren't staples, but I hope the become so in the future. I don't know how much I'd like these games without them.

It's actually getting me excited to see how Fire Emblem Switch fairs.

I will say that the exploration in dungeons is a pretty pleasant change. Full VA is expected though. Especially with Fates and Awakening having VA.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

RolStoppable said:
I haven't played the game since last week, but I was wondering about something. If the turnwheel is used after a bad level up to go back right before the level up, is the RNG rolled differently? Because that would be a great help.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I've a bunch of units who got lots of bad level ups and can't be relied upon as a result. Either I find a spot to level up or I start all over again and abuse the turnwheel to fix what the game breaks. Because the way my save file looks right now has killed my motivation.

Also, how did people go about promotions? Did you wait until level 20 or go for them earlier because of the EXP?

I've used the turnwheel after missing a 93% hit chance, let things play out identically, and hit the second time. I can't speak for level ups with absolute certainty, but I'd assume everything is reset. I'll need the try it out to be sure though.

I've yet to max out anyone, and the only units I've promoted are villagers and Lukas, who I promoted ~level 12. I'm basically planning to promote units at the point where it's too much of a pain to level them up any further. My archers and mages are levelling up frequently due to being more useful in this game (Mae, Boey, and Leon are all above level 15), so I'll likely wait till 20 to promote. If that isn't the level cap...I guess I'll probably promote them anyway. Snipers seem overpowered in this game, so I might go early on him. Definitely changing my typical play style here.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

RolStoppable said:
I haven't played the game since last week, but I was wondering about something. If the turnwheel is used after a bad level up to go back right before the level up, is the RNG rolled differently? Because that would be a great help.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I've a bunch of units who got lots of bad level ups and can't be relied upon as a result. Either I find a spot to level up or I start all over again and abuse the turnwheel to fix what the game breaks. Because the way my save file looks right now has killed my motivation.

Also, how did people go about promotions? Did you wait until level 20 or go for them earlier because of the EXP?

I'm leaning towards no on Mila's Wheel changing the stats you gain on a lvl, since on a few occassions I'd done that and still got the same points on the lvl up, on minor variations of said unit gaining the lvl up. Perhaps the points will be changed if you wait later in the battle for that unit to lvl up from doing a different action. I'm not 100% sure on this though.

Also, I've only promoted villagers into new classes, and trying to get close to lvl 20 for all units. I'm feeling maybe I should just promote them now, since I'm pretty much done with chap 3 with still basic units, but I'll wait until chap 4 to make that decision.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

Also, I've found something to complain about: The desert section in general.

- These maps are just infuriating. Traveling through desert is painfully slow and just made for very slow going battles.

-Witches are just unfair. It seems they can teleport where ever and whenever they feel like and pick on the lowest resistant, slowest units, and RES rarely ever increases, due to the percent being in the 5% area or lower for units. I've had a unit in the back just get killed because of witches.

-Cantors show their worst in the Grieth battle, as well as sniper/achanist combos and Leon just.. sucking. I spent almost an hour, trying to kill the snipers with him, while fighting off an endless army of skeletons. It was just a bad mix, with Cantors just needlessly dragging the map.

And.. that's it, my rant. Beware the desert section, and the Sonya battle is just way too hard. Cursed team of witches...

Dance my pretties!

Cloudman said:

- These maps are just infuriating. Traveling through desert is painfully slow and just made for very slow going battles.

-Witches are just unfair. It seems they can teleport where ever and whenever they feel like and pick on the lowest resistant, slowest units, and RES rarely ever increases, due to the percent being in the 5% area or lower for units. I've had a unit in the back just get killed because of witches.

-Cantors show their worst in the Grieth battle, as well as sniper/achanist combos and Leon just.. sucking. I spent almost an hour, trying to kill the snipers with him, while fighting off an endless army of skeletons. It was just a bad mix, with Cantors just needlessly dragging the map.

And.. that's it, my rant. Beware the desert section, and the Sonya battle is just way too hard. Cursed team of witches...

I was thinking the same thing with the desert LOL but my assumption is that it will be brief.

The witches never bothered me, though when it came to choosing between Deen and Sonya to fight, I obviously chose Deen because of the reasons you listed. No way I was going to fight an army of mages and witches in the desert with only one sniper.

outlawauron said:
spemanig said:
Yeah, I'm really liking this game so far. I understand that exploration and full VA aren't staples, but I hope the become so in the future. I don't know how much I'd like these games without them.

It's actually getting me excited to see how Fire Emblem Switch fairs.

I will say that the exploration in dungeons is a pretty pleasant change. Full VA is expected though. Especially with Fates and Awakening having VA.

Honestly, I hope it gets expanded upon. I would love a fully explorable country with an SMT4-style map and overworld.

Either way, loving the voice work. Much better than what appeared in the new Zelda.

spemanig said:
Cloudman said:

I was thinking the same thing with the desert LOL but my assumption is that it will be brief.

The witches never bothered me, though when it came to choosing between Deen and Sonya to fight, I obviously chose Deen because of the reasons you listed. No way I was going to fight an army of mages and witches in the desert with only one sniper.

Yeah, Deen's map is easier, since you have a unit that can tank the hits, but is still kinda annoying with the slow movement.

I tried Sonya's map on a seperate save file, but lost because of very bad luck with Celica missing the finishing blow on a high percentage and getting killed off instead, and since you can't use the turnwheel to save the main units, I have to redo the map, as well as having a lot of feelings of frustration...

Dance my pretties!

RolStoppable said:
Cloudman said:

The Sonya battle was easy with the pegasisters and javelins equipped, although IIRC you need to recruit them in a harbor town after helping them out in an earlier battle in act 3. Sucks if you don't have them, because at least on my file their stats are far superior to Clair's on Alm's side. Same holds true for Faye who I promoted to pegasus knight.

What makes the Sonya battle so easy is that the enemies are exclusively witches. Such a setup is always beneficial for pegasi.

Perhaps it was just my pegasi not being high enough levels or lacking certain stats they weren't able to take on all the witches in a group. Also, I only had one javelin at the time. I got a 2nd one after I beat Grieth. Those are the only 2 javelins I know, unless I missed one in a building somewhere.

Dance my pretties!