By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia discussion.

Cloudman said:
Also, I've found something to complain about: The desert section in general.

- These maps are just infuriating. Traveling through desert is painfully slow and just made for very slow going battles.

-Witches are just unfair. It seems they can teleport where ever and whenever they feel like and pick on the lowest resistant, slowest units, and RES rarely ever increases, due to the percent being in the 5% area or lower for units. I've had a unit in the back just get killed because of witches.

-Cantors show their worst in the Grieth battle, as well as sniper/achanist combos and Leon just.. sucking. I spent almost an hour, trying to kill the snipers with him, while fighting off an endless army of skeletons. It was just a bad mix, with Cantors just needlessly dragging the map.

And.. that's it, my rant. Beware the desert section, and the Sonya battle is just way too hard. Cursed team of witches...

Just finished the Grieth fight, and I managed to pull it off just fine. I managed to get through the corridor part by luring the sniper out and pelting him with magic (and a pegasus lance once he got weak enough), and then making sure everyone in range of the arcanist would be able to survive a turn. Genny's Physic is the usual MVP...it covers her entire range of magic (17 for me), and so I was able to keep everyone alive as I advanced through.

Overall though, I find that I take more risks in this game than previous titles due to the turnwheel feature, so I make bold moves when I normally would play it safe. Pretty nice that I can just go back a turn and replan my strategy, rather having to replay half the stage to get there again.

------------

Question for anyone: Who are your MVPs so far?

Mine are Alm, Cliff (cavalier), Tobin (archer), and Clair on one side, and Celica, Leon, Boey, Mae, Genny, and Valdbar on the other side. My Celica team has been blessed with pretty greath growths, at least relative to the typical growth rates for this game, while I feel Team Alm might have problems later. Silque, Luthier, and Faye (mage) are nowhere near as useful to me on that side as Genny and my Mage Gods on the other.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network
Cloudman said:
spemanig said:

I was thinking the same thing with the desert LOL but my assumption is that it will be brief.

The witches never bothered me, though when it came to choosing between Deen and Sonya to fight, I obviously chose Deen because of the reasons you listed. No way I was going to fight an army of mages and witches in the desert with only one sniper.

Yeah, Deen's map is easier, since you have a unit that can tank the hits, but is still kinda annoying with the slow movement.

I tried Sonya's map on a seperate save file, but lost because of very bad luck with Celica missing the finishing blow on a high percentage and getting killed off instead, and since you can't use the turnwheel to save the main units, I have to redo the map, as well as having a lot of feelings of frustration...

It's not just that - his units crumble against mages and archers who can hit from afar, which Celica has plenty of.

spemanig said:
outlawauron said:

I will say that the exploration in dungeons is a pretty pleasant change. Full VA is expected though. Especially with Fates and Awakening having VA.

Honestly, I hope it gets expanded upon. I would love a fully explorable country with an SMT4-style map and overworld.

Either way, loving the voice work. Much better than what appeared in the new Zelda.

It definitely has a lot of borrowed elements from SMT4. I'm not a fan of the town/map movement, but dungeon exploration is fun.

ETA: I'm not sure I want to hear the VA in Zelda if this is the case lol.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
spemanig said:

Honestly, I hope it gets expanded upon. I would love a fully explorable country with an SMT4-style map and overworld.

Either way, loving the voice work. Much better than what appeared in the new Zelda.

It definitely has a lot of borrowed elements from SMT4. I'm not a fan of the town/map movement, but dungeon exploration is fun.

ETA: I'm not sure I want to hear the VA in Zelda if this is the case lol.

Yes, definitely.

It's mostly Zelda. And one Zora girl. Fake english accents and awkwardly written dialog.

I have just finished Act 4, and I can say I am deeply invested.

Around the Network
Super_Boom said:
Cloudman said:
Also, I've found something to complain about: The desert section in general.

- These maps are just infuriating. Traveling through desert is painfully slow and just made for very slow going battles.

-Witches are just unfair. It seems they can teleport where ever and whenever they feel like and pick on the lowest resistant, slowest units, and RES rarely ever increases, due to the percent being in the 5% area or lower for units. I've had a unit in the back just get killed because of witches.

-Cantors show their worst in the Grieth battle, as well as sniper/achanist combos and Leon just.. sucking. I spent almost an hour, trying to kill the snipers with him, while fighting off an endless army of skeletons. It was just a bad mix, with Cantors just needlessly dragging the map.

And.. that's it, my rant. Beware the desert section, and the Sonya battle is just way too hard. Cursed team of witches...

Just finished the Grieth fight, and I managed to pull it off just fine. I managed to get through the corridor part by luring the sniper out and pelting him with magic (and a pegasus lance once he got weak enough), and then making sure everyone in range of the arcanist would be able to survive a turn. Genny's Physic is the usual MVP...it covers her entire range of magic (17 for me), and so I was able to keep everyone alive as I advanced through.

Overall though, I find that I take more risks in this game than previous titles due to the turnwheel feature, so I make bold moves when I normally would play it safe. Pretty nice that I can just go back a turn and replan my strategy, rather having to replay half the stage to get there again.

------------

Question for anyone: Who are your MVPs so far?

Mine are Alm, Cliff (cavalier), Tobin (archer), and Clair on one side, and Celica, Leon, Boey, Mae, Genny, and Valdbar on the other side. My Celica team has been blessed with pretty greath growths, at least relative to the typical growth rates for this game, while I feel Team Alm might have problems later. Silque, Luthier, and Faye (mage) are nowhere near as useful to me on that side as Genny and my Mage Gods on the other.

It's good to hear you didn't have it as rough as I did. That battle made me rage since my Leon couldn't hit for squat and I used up all my uses of the turnwheel, so I had to play it safe. Just thinking about it makes me angry Dx

Also, my MVPs are likely:

Alm's side:

- Kliff : I made him into an archer, and for some reason he's just really good at it. He has great accuracy, strength and really lucky with crits. He's one of my go to guys when it comes to weakening or killing off units. He can take hits too.

- Tobin : I made him a cavelier and he's quite tanky, as well as being strong, so I can often trust him to be on the frontlines and take some hits.

- Faye : Despite being a terrible stalker/yandere girl, she does well as a cleric. Surprisingly tanky and having physic, she's a great healer to have to go with Silke.

Celica's side:

- Valbar : The savior of Celica's team. The physical wall who protects the team from most units and making bosses look like a joke. I'd have a lot harder of a time if I didn't have him.

- Mae : A strong and fast mage who I can usually count on to get things done when I need it. The best mage I have on the team, with maybe Sonya giving competition

And that's pretty much how it is for me.

spemanig said:
Cloudman said:

Yeah, Deen's map is easier, since you have a unit that can tank the hits, but is still kinda annoying with the slow movement.

I tried Sonya's map on a seperate save file, but lost because of very bad luck with Celica missing the finishing blow on a high percentage and getting killed off instead, and since you can't use the turnwheel to save the main units, I have to redo the map, as well as having a lot of feelings of frustration...

It's not just that - his units crumble against mages and archers who can hit from afar, which Celica has plenty of.

True, though I did almost lose some of my mercenaries, since they can't take hits as well as Valbar. Still pretty easy in comparison to Sonya's battle.

caffeinade said:
I have just finished Act 4, and I can say I am deeply invested.

Is there another act after 4? I thought there were only 4.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I'm actually wonder what classes people gave to the villagers in the game.

I made Gray a mercenary, Tobin a cavalier, Kliff an archer, Faye a cleric, and Atlas a cavalier.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:

I made Gray a mercenary, Tobin a cavalier, Kliff an archer, Faye a cleric, and Atlas a cavalier.

I'm still on Act 1, so I haven't classed up much. I did make Faye a Pegasus Knight. Everyone else are still villagers. 

I've gotten the absolute worst stat growths. Even Alm and Lucas only do 3-5 dmg/hit on enemies.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Cloudman said:

I'm still on Act 1, so I haven't classed up much. I did make Faye a Pegasus Knight. Everyone else are still villagers. 

I've gotten the absolute worst stat growths. Even Alm and Lucas only do 3-5 dmg/hit on enemies.

Maybe your stat gains will get better with the next couple of levels. It's still pretty early in the game, and I've had some rounds of bad stats.

What are you planning to make the other villagers into?

Dance my pretties!

Cloudman said:

Mine wasn't too far off.

Gray - Mercenary
Tobin - Archer
Kliff - Cavalier
Creepy Unrequited Crush Girl - Mage
Atlas - Cavalier

Can't remember my thought process for most of them...guessing it was just that I wanted certain units to fill out my team. I think Tobin had high skill when I promoted him, so I decided to put him in a class that requires it. Faye because magic users seem rare in Alm's side, and Cliff because he had high defense/resistance and served as a good tank.

Also...I finally maxed out a unit. Got Clair to level 20 after a few hours of grinding in the Sylvan Shrine. 

My plan now is to promote villagers at ~10-12 (assuming there's any others), most other units at level 15, mages at ~18, since many get new magic at that level, and Clair at level 20.  I need to keep seeing that physical perfection.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334