By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Update Removes Offensive Hand Gesture

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Update Removes Offensive Hand Gesture

No offense.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's latest update is out now, and it makes a rather intriguing change: one Inkling Girl animation has been tweaked to remove a gesture that is deemed offensive in a number of countries.

The expression--which involves raising a clenched fist while the other arm holds the raised bicep--was used by Inkling Girl as a celebratory sign. However, the "Italian salute" is considered offensive in some territories, including France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, and much of Latin America.

The gesture has been replaced by a simple fist pump, and photos from NeoGAF user Neiteio show the difference between the pre- and post-patch versions.

(Go to the link below to see the pre- and post-patch versions.)

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/mario-kart-8-deluxe-update-removes-offensive-hand-/1100-6450143/

Around the Network

Before

After:

AHAHAHAHAH!!!!

I didn't notice that at all!

Switch!!!

That's not the same gesture though. The offensive one is with the arm in front while the common victory pose is with the arm to the side. Because it simulates flexing and showing off your your biceps.

That's like saying this

is a Hitler salute.

Nintendo being wrong by 90° yet agin.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Wrong thread, the update is already mentioned here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=228578

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

I noticed it the first time I used the Inkling girl skin. So funny. At least Nintendo kept the new gesture close to the original one. It's awesome to show players you just destroyed online to "shove it."

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

No. Nintendo is not taking this from us.

From henceforth, the 'arm up' gesture will mean 'up yours'. I so decree.

VGPolyglot said:

Before

After:

Thank you most commited VGChartz servant.

I call sexist since Nintendo thinks that girls can't feel their biceps in video games as a cool pose. Fuck it, just make everything emotionless with no gestures at all just to be safe!

oh what?! I love the 'up yours' gesture. There's a gesture both kids and adults can enjoy. Have a backbone Nintendo, leave it in there. It's their game I suppose but it's a shame, feels very whiny

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian