By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Dragonball > Dragonball Z and Dragonball Super

irstupid said:

Dragonball is infinitely better than the others.

DBZ wasn't horrible. It should definitely ended though before Buu arc. That arc really hurt the series. 

The power levels were getting out of hand post Vegeta, and heading to Namek, but it still had a decent enough story that tied together. The androids being as powerful as they were a bit of an asspull, but again it tied back to earlier in series, and the whole future trunks storyline and the passing of the gauntlet to Gohan with Goku dying made it fine.

But then it went the whole super bs route most all sounen do after each arc. You know where they beat the strongest bad guy in the world, then all of a sudden some new bad guy pops up out of nowhere and is even stronger. You know its a total asspull by the author, there having been no foreshadowing, no tie back to earlier stuff, ect. Just the bs, "oh he was sealed here forever" bull.

But yea, DB totally is the best. A vast cast that wasn't irrelivent. Actual fights that were interesting and not just punch and throw big attacks until one yells loud enough to win. I loved watching the tournaments and the unique fighters and how yamcha, krillin, tien, ect were all someone you cared about watching and unique fighting styles. IN DBZ and later, it was just plain punch/kicks and balls of ki being tossed around. There were some shitty arcs, such as some of the red army ball chasing, but overall it was a fun adventure. In DBZ mostly you saw enemy, flew to some deserted area and then spend 100 chatpers fighting that enemy there.  

monocle_layton said:
I think Naruto is the same. In the originals, you see amazing power, but there is still an emphasis on strategy and brainpower.

I definitely love the original the most, but I can't say I hate any specific part of Dragonball. It's still enjoyable to me. As long as it isn't as bad as the Kaguya arc, I can't complain

Yea I definately agree on Naruto. To me, what lost me in Naruto was it becoming a DBZ clone and losing its Ninja'ness. You know, they basically tossing around attacks that are blowing up mountains and shit.

Oh and not ot mention the overpoweredness of eye powers. I so hate illusion based shit in stories. I feel like I would read 2-3 chatpers of Naruto and then being told that those last 2-3 chapters were all an illusion and the two characters were just standing there doing nothing. Or the annoying ass cliffhanger endings where someone "dies" or something only to be an illusions. Ect. 

And part 2 was huge into giant powers and illusions. Hated it.

The eye jutsus were interesting up until Sasuke relied on it 99% of the time

It was irritating how they all had cons that eventually got ig nored.The byakugan had a blind spot and strained the eyes, the sharingan made one lose their sight and have severe pain, and the Rinnegan consumed massive amounts of chakra.

It was annoying to see Sasuke created the super ultra rinnesharbyakugan3000 while running around in the Susano 24/7, a jutsu which even Itachi struggled to use. 

Around the Network

Super is terrible. Pan being younger than at the end of DBZ is an issue.
Goten and Trunks not aging at all is another.

Having characters spend a year in the Hyperbolic time chamber just to reach a new Super Saiyan Level or characters like Vegeta almost busting a nut to get Super Saiyan in the first place... Whilst in Dragon Ball Super... Characters seem to be able to train for a day and match SSJ2/God etc' with relative ease.

Having Gohan not able to turn Super Saiyan 2, struggles with Super Saiyan 1 and imply he is stronger than Piccolo and that they should take "no chances" during the Return of Frieza Arc, undermines Piccolo's fusion with Kami and all the years of training after that... Just makes no sense. Then later Piccolo is keeping up with Mystic Gohan. Like seriously.

We cannot forget how terrible some of the animations are either.
And I feel like the epic scope, the epic threats, the epic over the top bad guys just aren't there in Super either.

With that. Beerus is awesome. He has made the entire show worth it for me.

Dragon Ball Z is still the gold standard for the franchise for me personally.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I completely agree with most of what you wrote, I did love watching dragon ball and dragon ball z as kid, but now I prefer to watch dragon ball, as it had better characters, more interesting settings and abilities, even the stakes were higher as getting the dragon balls were a difficult task, but in Z specially after freezer, death was nothing to worry about.
I simply can't understand the excitement of so many people watching Super. I simply think toriyama is too senile to continue the story, as it is worse tha lots of fanfics, completely forgetting what was canon giving powerups from his ass, like freezer becoming so powerful in 4 months of training, and training with someone as weak as ginyu for example, or having master roshi defeating tien easily, when Tien was stronger since the original dragon ball, and unlike all the other characters, he kept training and manage to stand against cell and suvive buutenks for a while in Z

monocle_layton said:
I think Naruto is the same. In the originals, you see amazing power, but there is still an emphasis on strategy and brainpower.

I definitely love the original the most, but I can't say I hate any specific part of Dragonball. It's still enjoyable to me. As long as it isn't as bad as the Kaguya arc, I can't complain

Also as monocle_layton said, Naruto suffer the same, but having the "ninja" theme I think it's way more noticible, specially since the viewers were introduced to high level nija fight in the first arc between zabuza and kakashi, and if you compare them to most characters in part 2, well zabuza look like fodder, even the hokage level fight looks weak as they still focused more on skill and techs instead of huge explotions

Pemalite said:

And I feel like the epic scope, the epic threats, the epic over the top bad guys just aren't there in Super either.

Even if I´m really enjoying Super right now (hated it before black goku arc), I REALLY agree with that.

I just don't feel the fear o threat that Piccolo gave us in Dragon Ball, or Saiyans, Freezer and even the Androids gave in DBZ. I feel like everything is going to be ok anyways (I know it's a shonen and it's almost always this way but the other 2 series did it better, I'd argue that even GT did it better too) 

well lets be honest the only good with the Z and Super is waiting to see what new ridiculous power level there will be

Around the Network

Dragonball and start of Z was good due to the variation imo.

I like Shows like One Piece and Fairy Tail due to the massive amount of variation between the characters. For example Luffy gets rekt by swords, so his buddy Zoro the Swordsman can rek them. Most of the characters would dislike cannonfire or bullets, but Luffy can reflect them.

In DBZ after or during Freeza arc all characters became the same. At start of DBZ at least Piccolo could just kill everyone with his SBC, and Goku was the master of Kamehameha. Sure others could use it, but not as good as him. Krillin could destructo disc or solar flare, Tien clones, Piccolo regen etc. But then it became anyone important had everything important.

Idk, I can't handle the Japanese voice acting in Dragon Ball Super. Their voices are so whiny (especially Gohans) it makes me want to pull my hair out. I'll wait to watch Super when it's fully dubbed. Anyway; I personally think DBZ is better than Dragonball but hey that's just the opinion of one fan of the show.

Edit: I watch most anime is subbed, and never recall hearing the dude's voices sound SO FREAKING WHINY as they are in Dragon Ball Super. It's even worse when they are constantly screaming when powering up.

Well, I haven't watched Super (I don't intend to do it), but I also think that the Dragon Ball "era" is the best.

To me, that's because the show focused on the adventure, and fights were only a consequence of that, while in the other eras it all revolved around fights and the powerful enemies.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I would've read all of it but I feel too offended that you call it "Zuper".

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

DBZ is way more liked and popular to more casual audiences because it had much cooler music such as Vegeta theme and Super Sayian 3 and the Intro song.

DBZ also has vegeta and the super sayian forms.

DB is fun but I find a bit childish at times,