By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - I'm just curious - how many have seen a 360 RROD?

I know my friends got one... but I have absolutely never seen one.... mine never failed....

now that 70% number I don't belive it one sec... oh yes if you take in account the normal life of the hardware.... but was causing premature failure... noway... if you have a 70% rate of return prevision outside of normal failure... you rebuilt your prod and recall all the old ones... that would cost you way less....

people who believe that number are plain stupid....

now 30 or 40% I can believe that number and that's a very high one... you know what 10% on the 40gb PS 3 it's also a very high number... and talking about PS2 every single buyer in the shop I was working at back then came back with the disc drive problem and we were selling a lot.... it didn't prevent PS 2 to have the success they had...

the RRoD is an issue but a false one... especially since it's covered for 3 years for free... for some people it is for most if they want a 360 they'll take a 360...

now about PC in the past 7 year I had more software and hardware failure than I had on all of my consoles combine.... I had 4 HDD dieing, 2 motherboard, 3 CD or DVD combo dieing, 1 CPU burning, a video card dieing, a soundcard dieng.... without talking about how many time a year I have to format and reinstall the OS or other software.... and no I'm not running only MS OSs.....

hell I'm glad they have RRoD that extended the warranty for me and I4m still praying for one so I can have my DVD drive error fixed at the same time... yes i'm probably one of the few wishing for a RRoD but at least it gave me one thing 3 year warranty...better than any other console can offer...

Around the Network

I know 3 people with a 360, and 4 RRoD have happened in total.

My girlfriend's sister's boyfriend had his launch console RROD on him about 3-4 months after getting it. He sent it in and got it back repaired relatively quickly and hasn't had any trouble since.

Having said that, he is the only one of my gaming buddies who have a 360. Another got one 4 months ago, an elite, and haven't had any troubles.

I have seen atleast 5 360's RROD, 3 of them at a game store, and know 3 people who have had to send in their 360s, on the other end, my PS3 has never had a disc error read problem, nor have I seen anyone elses.

I have four friends with 360's.

1 received his for his birthday last September. No issues so far. He also has a Wii and plays both about equally, depending on last game purchase.

2 have had one RROD so far. Both have had their systems for over a year. This is the only console for both of them.

1 has had three repair jobs so far. He got his at launch. He has all three consoles. PS3 is only used as a bluray player, Wii gets some love from the whole family. 360 gets played by kids also depending on new games they have as the kids have been solely focused on smash bros recently.

Around the Network

I have owned 2 360's to have both RROD on me and have had 4 friends whose 360 has RROD. That was the reason I have given up on the 360 for the moment or until Mass Effect 2 comes out. I own two ps3 and have played five of my friends ps3 and none has ever had any problem at all.

Consoles owned: 80GB PS3 w/bc, PS3 Slim 120gb
PSN: Yubitme        

Hapimeses said:

I think you misunderstand the 70% number (or, at least, the one I commonly see on the net). It's not that 70% have failed, it's that 70% will fail. Give it time, and more RRoDs will appear, if that number is true. For me, when making a choice over which console to buy, that was unforgiveably shoddy console design by Microsoft.

What we can say for certain is that the RRoD % is very high already, and the 360 hasn't been on the market for very long. If reports of 33% of 360s failing are true, the end number will obviously be far higher. You may be happy to accept that, I'm not.

Finally, it's possible RRoD has been largely resolved now. However, it's also possible it hasn't. Only time will tell. Some will be happy to accept this risk, others won't.

I wonder how the multiple failures on the same X360 are counted.  If 2 out of 10 X360s fail twice, is that 40% (4 RRODs for 10 machines)?  I'd hope it isn't counted that way.  Yet to count it as 'only' 2 out of 10 seems a bit off as well, since the 2 guys had to send the boxes in twice.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

My first one was RRoD out of the box but I had that fixed within an hour. Other than that, I have never even seen one (and my 360 is even in a bad spot).

my friends elite go the rrod. i lawl'd so hard because he was saying that the elite cant get it, and he put 3 fans on it like an idiot which voided the warranty.

ive seen a RROD up close and personal, my 1st 360 was claimed by it (March 2006-July 2007) my friend also had one, i have a new 360 now though! (September 2007-present)