By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - I'm just curious - how many have seen a 360 RROD?

about 2 weeks ago at a Circuit City near my home.........as i am going to buy games for my PS3, lol

Around the Network

i have seen many in retail stores (2 or 3).
And I have personal experience with the RROD, my 360 broke down with it as well.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Hapimeses said:

Yes, you have a point, and I should have covered that a little more carefully. As I said, the newer 360s may be more reliable -- on the short term, at least, if not the long term -- but only time will tell if Microsoft's efforts have made a significant difference. If the new 360s are more reliable on the long term, then the failure rate for the console as a whole (for its lifetime) will drop, but the initial machines will still be hugely unreliable, and they will continue fail for the life-time of the 360.

Yes, we could assume that Microsoft's engineers have got it right this time. But, then again, I would have assumed they had it right the first time around, and I would have been wrong.

The same arguement you throw at me could be returned to you: Unless you have hard data to show how effective or ineffecitive MS's steps to improve the situation have been on the long term life of the console, then you have no way to predict what the total failure percentage will be for the life of the product. You state common sense says one thing, I'd argue that common sense says no such thing. Common sense seems to suggest we should be cautious, and wait to see what happens, not that we should trust Microsoft's console-building skills.

Just because many hope Microsoft have resolved the issue on the long term does not mean they have. However, give it a few years; we'll all know in the end.

Well, I never claimed to know what the eventual percentage would be... you did.

I still think that MS has to be making adjustments to attenuate the problem.  Even if we decide not to accept the statements they have made regarding this, I think common sense *does* suggest that they're doing something to correct the situation, unless you're willing to argue that MS actuals *wants* another $1.1b charge to expenses due to failing consoles.

My guess--and it's only a guess--is that the earlier consoles had such high failure rates because MS released the platform before it was really ready, most likely so they would have a serious time lead over Wii and PS3.  They got their lead, but at a significant price to them and their customers.  If you're stating that MS simply doesn't now, and will likely not in the future, know how to fix the reliability problems, then I have to disagree.  They rushed the first consoles to market... that is no longer the case with the current units as they've had time to re-examine the heat issues over time.

I do, however, agree that we'll all know in the end. 

Phoenix_Wiight said:
ive seen quite a few, maybe 3? veryone that has a 360 has gotten it once

Incorrect. My 360 is almost 2 years old and I haven't had the problem.

Around the Network

my friend had it. he almost started crying.

the nintendo wii will outsell the ps3 and the 360 combined by the end of 2008.                           

PS3 will out sell the 360 june 2010.                                                                      

GOTY of 2008 is super smash brothers brawl.... hopefully.

END OF 08 PREDICTIONS:

Wii: 45 million         xbox360: 26 million       PS3: 19 million (made beginning of 08)

wii: 44 million         xbox 360: 24 million      PS3: 21 million (made june 08)

wii code: 8094-5344-2140-1400

brawl code: 5412-9565-3232   

the only person i know with a 360 has had it fail twice already

i don't think this thread is going the way madskillz expected, there is clearly over a 33% failure rate just by looking at this thread

also the reason very few people made a huge fuss over the DRE is because you could easily fix it yourself 90% of the time just by cleaning the lense, with rrod you're out of luck. plus there weren't nearly as many failing PS2's as 360's.

Yeah, my friend brought how over to play some COD4 and it red ringed on him as soon as he tried to start it up.

He was going to sell it and just upgrade his computer... but then he played Army of Two and changed his mind.

Fun game. Though Salem is an idiot.

Interesting i haven't seen any RROD in stores.

It's always the PS3 that's broken.  Which is weird... every store.  PS3 broken. 

there are ~90 360's mentioned in this thread that have RROD'd out of 77 replies, so we have a 117% failure rate! lol j/k

Lol, I dont think this is the type of response he was expecting in the OP. Even I was a bit skeptical about the large number of RRoD's, but I guess the issue is really that widespread.

Mine has not. I bought my 360 before I bought my PS3. However the only games I have played are Gears for a month, then I waited all the way until Halo 3, then since about Christmas Rockband has been seeing pretty heavy play when my brothers and sisters play.

I fully expected it to RRoD by now, but it seems that at least my 360 is holding up pretty well. I still don't buy any games for it because I prefer to just get them all on the PS3, but reliability just hasn't been an issue for me yet.