By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo's install base shrunk from 250 million in Gen 7 to ~80 million in Gen 8

As the Switch's situation improves, people will keep reaching to find a way to paint it in a negative light with decade's old information lol

There will never again come a time when one of the console developers actually sell 250 million units in one go. They don't need to come anywhere near that to be absolutely fine financially, either. This is a silly question.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Switch will sell more than 100m units. There's no reason to wonder whether or not Switch will be a success.

The more important question that Nintendo detractors should answer right now is where the Switch sales are coming from. It's been over two months since launch and the system is still sold out. I have yet to see someone tackle this question. Detractors don't like the answer, that's why they stay silent.

Have you missed this thread?http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=228444

We reap what we sow

Einsam_Delphin said:
Yes Switch most certainly will be considered a huge success at 80m since that is a great number in general and this time Nintendo isn't selling at a loss and all their games will be on that 80m installbase instead of just half. 3DS almost pulled that number, so imo it's safe to say the far superior Switch can reach that and more.

Well, it's not like Nintendo sold at loss for long.

3DS was overshipped, it was selling way under expectation, so Nintendo answered with an excessive drop of the excessive price for a handheld console! 

Although...3DS manufacturing cost and commercial price after the price reduction had still a 70$ difference, Nintendo was paying royalties for 3D effect.

The loss was reversed with 3DS XL release in the following year, at 199$ ( Nintendo exaggerated with the 3DS price drop, but they were panicked, so it's justifiable! )

Then was wii u that was overshipped but overproduced too! Nintendo underwent the loss by the clearance of the phased out in 2013 white wii u 8gb model  for two years!

Switch is selling way above expectations at least for the moment, it's production/shipment is normal or under normal ( given how high is demand ) .

P.s

The overall money loss of Nintendo 2011/first half of 2014, is under half a billion, taking into account just how much money they have in the banks, that sum is meaningless and it was the first time in their history that they lost money.

The Switch is going to sell more than 80m units. It's funny how people are always stuck in the past. When Nintendo revealed the horrible 3DS and Wii U concept everyone was like "oh, the Wii and DS sold great. These will sell well, too." And now people can't believe Nintendo has another hit product.

I highly recommend Daniel Kahneman's book "Thinking, fast and slow" to everyone who falls for this trap. It's a basic flaw of the human mind: We tend to substitute easier questions for hard ones. Instead of answering the question "how much is the Switch gonna sell?" (which is based on many factors) we substitute "how much did the 3DS and Wii U sell?" and use that as an anchor.

RolStoppable said:
160rmf said:

Have you missed this thread?http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=228444

Yes, I missed that one. It's hilarious.

That's why it's better to stay silent and hope that Switch sales slow down. So far Switch isn't providing a convenient explanation for its success and detractors are baffled what's going on.

It's getting late for that convinient explanation to come save the day as the release of highly anticipated games keeps looming closer.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network

We all expect atleast 1 thread a day like this..never fails

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

That's a pretty big decline. Hopefully this gen they turn it around with the Switch. 80m is roughly the target. Not easy but doable.

What more can be said at this point? The decline is not exclusive to Nintendo (Sony also dropped in sales, the Vita especially from the PSP) and you're comparing Nintendo's best gen with its worst. As for how the Switch will do, it's hard to tell, but so far it's doing well. Also, because it doesn't have the success of something like the DS/Wii line, doesn't mean it's a failure.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

tak13 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Yes Switch most certainly will be considered a huge success at 80m since that is a great number in general and this time Nintendo isn't selling at a loss and all their games will be on that 80m installbase instead of just half. 3DS almost pulled that number, so imo it's safe to say the far superior Switch can reach that and more.

Well, it's not like Nintendo sold at loss for long.

I never said it was for long. Nintendo stands to make a lot more money on 80m Switchs than 80m 3DS+Wii Us was all I'm getting at there.

if youre going off of pure sales numbers of wii and ds and calling that an install base as if each and every owner is unique, youre being intellectually dishonest.

1) most DS owners owned more than one model of DS, be it dsi or dslite or an xl/ll variation
2) many wii owners also owned one or more DS's
3) DS's of all models were prone to breaking at the hinge through rough handling and accidental drops, many sales were from buying replacement consoles too.

4) many wii sales were to non-gamers who would never again buy another console, so counting them as a loss is disingenious because they were and always would be a one time sale.

you cant just add up total sales and act like thats the number of unique customers