By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo killed handheld gaming

People will continue to buy and play these consoles until there is no more interest. Just because the support for them will diminish doesn't restrict their viability.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Around the Network

Ios/android for handheld/portable gaming nowadays.

gatito said:

Just hear me out. Reading that Polygon article that praised the Switch made me realize something. Nintendo will support 3DS for a while and then there will be no turning back. What's the point of releasing a 'portable like' game when they're no longer bound by technologic shortcomings? Would you buy Hey Pikmin! or Pikmin 4? An traditional Pokémon game or a full fledged MMO experience? I know there's some franchises that have thrived in the handheld environment like Zelda or Metroid and there will always be an audience for that, but I feel like some games only existed because they were portable versions of 'full games'. You could take them on the go and that was the beauty of it but it wasn't the full experience.

Switch gives you the best of both worlds and kinda proves that people wanted the home console experience on the go, just done right (sorry Vita). There's no need to make a game thinking about short gaming sessions like Super Mario 3D Land, and viceversa, Pokémon games on home console was never great because the connectivity and interaction with other players was missing. All these games also needed to be different since there would always be another version.

Nintendo did that, they blurred the line. No need for 'handheld gamig' anymore. Just gaming, period.

Truth be told it was already on its way out, outside of a handful of Japanese developers, indies and Nintendo themselves no one was making games exclusively for 3DS or Vita anymore. The Switch for better or worst is template for all future portable systems because, the modern consumer wants to play their games not just their handheld games or have to jump through hoops to be able to play them.

Well considering the Switch is a portable device i believe they saved it from mobiles (for now)

Wait and see approach. Can't wait for Advance Wars or Picross 3D to show up in the Switch.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

It's difficult to prove the thesis that Nintendo killed handheld gaming when one of the Switch's selling points is exactly that: handheld gaming. It's literally a handheld gaming device, in addition to a home console.

I get your point that developers might stop offering shorter, "bite-sized" games now that titles like Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe are available on the go, but there's no data to back that up. Heck, look at some of the games available on Switch since launch: Snipperclips, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, Blaster Master Zero. A lot of these games can be beaten in an afternoon or over a weekend.

Just because Switch can support software like Breath of the Wild doesn't mean developers will have to use that game as a jumping off point. There will be plenty of smaller games better suited to short play sessions on the bus or train, from Nintendo and from third parties.

Is Blaster Master Zero good for short bursts?

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

.... a better argument than "smartphones killed handhelds"

TomaTito said:

Wait and see approach. Can't wait for Advance Wars or Picross 3D to show up in the Switch.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

It's difficult to prove the thesis that Nintendo killed handheld gaming when one of the Switch's selling points is exactly that: handheld gaming. It's literally a handheld gaming device, in addition to a home console.

I get your point that developers might stop offering shorter, "bite-sized" games now that titles like Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe are available on the go, but there's no data to back that up. Heck, look at some of the games available on Switch since launch: Snipperclips, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, Blaster Master Zero. A lot of these games can be beaten in an afternoon or over a weekend.

Just because Switch can support software like Breath of the Wild doesn't mean developers will have to use that game as a jumping off point. There will be plenty of smaller games better suited to short play sessions on the bus or train, from Nintendo and from third parties.

Is Blaster Master Zero good for short bursts?

Yeah! I think I spent something like 9 hours total with the game. There are a bunch of save points scattered around so you can clear an area or a dungeon, then save and call it quits.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Yeah! I think I spent something like 9 hours total with the game. There are a bunch of save points scattered around so you can clear an area or a dungeon, then save and call it quits.

Thanks for the feedback! Still have to try the demo and check it out, hopefully I'll get my Switch back this weekend

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

h2ohno said:
I wonder if it isn't the other way around, and we no longer see new dedicated home consoles that have to be hooked up to a large screen and constantly plugged in while on.

We've already been talking about console generations being a thing of the past once this generation reaches its conclusion. What if the market decides that the version of Skyrim they can take on the go is preferable to the version with the highest graphics settings, or the mid-settings since the PC will always have the best graphics. Regular consoles might be stuck in an awkward place, not able to match the tech of PCs while lacking the go-anywhere appeal of a true HD handheld.

It's all speculation at this point, as the PS4 is still doing fantastic. But the relative failure of the pro and the way people are already comparing the Switch favorably to the Scorpio makes me wonder. Playstation in particular might just be a strong enough brand to overcome the issue. But I doubt XBox is.

Jim Sterling pointed out that in Sony's and Microsoft's quest to make their consoles more like PC, they have been primarily embracing what were previously disadvantages to PC gaming (expensive hardware, downloading physical media), and creating their own disadvantages to boot (paid online), all the while giving up the things that made it advantageous to owning a console in the first place.

Nintendo invented handheld gaming. It's only natural that they kill it.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile