By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I HATE Audio Logs. Stop Using Them! Go Back To Cutscenes

Audio logs aren't there to replace cutscenes, they are there to replace text logs. In the past, you would find a paragraph or so of text here or there which gave you some lore to flesh out the world. The problem with this is that it takes you out of the game and makes you read. Audio logs are used to deliver the same background info but by having things be aural instead of visual, it doesn't stop you from playing the game.

While they aren't the most elegant solution, they are a lot better than text logs. As long as the writing is good and there aren't too many of them, I don't have a problem with them.

As for the realism concern, I find it hard to believe that someone who is an avid player of video games has such a problem with suspension of disbelief. It isn't even far-fetched to assume that people would use something like this, even if they aren't contextualized like something like Dead Space.

Around the Network
PieToast said:

They've been fine in the games I played. Like others have pointed out, audio logs are optional and generally about something that happened in the past. That could be a small story that fits with the general theme of the game or something interesting that ties with game's background or universe. Those things are difficult to do in cutscenes that generally play during the progression of the main story.

Having less or no audio logs doesn't mean the game will have more of the story told through cutscenes. It means the game will have less story and less ways to tell the main story and optional side stories.

That's what makes zero sense about this complaint.  Most of what I've posted, they're not going to make into cut-scenes.  They'd just cut it, period.  

In Fallout 4 you uncover tapes about a family that gets separated in the war.  They aren't going to make make flash-backs for that.  It would be expensive and time consuming and it would make zero sense for your character to know things that happened regarding this family that they've never met.  That wouldn't even be close to realistic, so realism cannot be a valid concern.

If audio logs weren't allowed, for some reason, then side-stories like this would simply disappear.  If someone doesn't want to listen to it then all they have to do is simply not listen to it.  Problem solved and it doesn't take anything away from people who like auxillary sources of story-telling.

TruckOSaurus said:

Also I don't get the argument about realism, I mean games aren't meant to be realistic, You're in an underwater city and you shoot bees at mutated people who are hooked up on ADAM they get from slugs inside orphan girls protected by diving suit wearing monsters... realism was left behind a long time ago.

I don't know what others think, but personally I think audio logs are a problem for immersion, and immersion is important even for unrealistic games. I think they break the immersion precisely because they're so unrealistic. You might not notice it all that easily if you enjoy them anyway, but if you don't particularly enjoy audio logs, you'll probably notice problems with them much more easily.

In general, the less cut scenes in a game, the better. Let me play, not watch.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I disagree. Games like BioShock and Dead Space are richer because of their audio logs. That being said, I hate Dead Space's text logs, which only became more plentiful with each installment.

Around the Network
Areym said:
Audio logs are great if you can here them without interrupting the game, a la fallout 4. You pick it up, play it and keep walking around and exploring. IF you gotta stand around or wait inside of a menu, you can fuck right off with that shit.

Yes, that is good.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

I hate it when games are trying to tell me the story while I'm running around doing stuff. That's one of my pet peeves with modern gaming. I would rather just read a text bubble. Even better would be to put the backstory in the instruction manual.

contestgamer said:

Bioshock ushered in this whole audio log mania that now gets shoe hoirned in to games as a cheap form of storytelling. I'm tired of seeing this in every game, with Prey being the latest to use this clutch of poor storytellers. It's not realistiuc that you have a bunch of audio logs of people scattered across the world containing all this personal narrative. On what planet are audio logs a thing? It's not. It's also incredibly visually boring - I mean it's just an audio log. I really wish developers went back to the days of long cutscenes or simply real time dialogue that actually felt realistic, visually interesting and immersive. Scattered documents are also a pain, but at least theres some small sense of logical realism there. Not so with audio logs. Anyone miss the days of old cutscenes or is tired of the over use of audio logs? 

I can assure you audilogs are better than plain text... Sometimes when gameplay is in a good lvl, I skip text logs for the need of more action, and audiologs can still be heard, even when you are in a shootout...

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

pokoko said:
PieToast said:

They've been fine in the games I played. Like others have pointed out, audio logs are optional and generally about something that happened in the past. That could be a small story that fits with the general theme of the game or something interesting that ties with game's background or universe. Those things are difficult to do in cutscenes that generally play during the progression of the main story.

Having less or no audio logs doesn't mean the game will have more of the story told through cutscenes. It means the game will have less story and less ways to tell the main story and optional side stories.

That's what makes zero sense about this complaint.  Most of what I've posted, they're not going to make into cut-scenes.  They'd just cut it, period.  

In Fallout 4 you uncover tapes about a family that gets separated in the war.  They aren't going to make make flash-backs for that.  It would be expensive and time consuming and it would make zero sense for your character to know things that happened regarding this family that they've never met.  That wouldn't even be close to realistic, so realism cannot be a valid concern.

If audio logs weren't allowed, for some reason, then side-stories like this would simply disappear.  If someone doesn't want to listen to it then all they have to do is simply not listen to it.  Problem solved and it doesn't take anything away from people who like auxillary sources of story-telling.

The most realistic thing to do then is to NOT tell that story.

contestgamer said:

The most realistic thing to do then is to NOT tell that story.

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.  All you have to do is not listen to the tape.  Stop trying to take things away for no reason, especially when plenty of people like the way they add personality to the game.  It's a fantasy world with Super Mutants, Deathclaws, and Laser guns--the idea that audio recordings are too unrealistic for that makes no sense.