By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I HATE Audio Logs. Stop Using Them! Go Back To Cutscenes

A balance would be the best.As long as the audio logs are used more to tell side stories and to built up the lore(that dosent have that much of a direct connect to the main story), then its great.But if its like MGS V and 70% of the story is heard through the bloody audio logs, then yes, get back to the damn cutscenes.I just hate when they try to save money in the story department by using the audio logs to tell the story.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

Nah, I like my games with interactivity.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

If Bioshock had cutscenes instead of audio logs it would have disrupted the pacing so much. I loved by able to listen to the audio log while still moving around, searching for loot.

Also I don't get the argument about realism, I mean games aren't meant to be realistic, You're in an underwater city and you shoot bees at mutated people who are hooked up on ADAM they get from slugs inside orphan girls protected by diving suit wearing monsters... realism was left behind a long time ago.

Signature goes here!

Worst offender was MGSV, god I hate that game for it's use of audio logs. One of the most overrated games ever.

Dunno what the fuss is about, if you don't like them, just skip them. I like them, however, because it's a good way to do exposition.

Around the Network
m0ney said:
contestgamer said:

Bioshock ushered in this whole audio log mania

Actually it was System Shock, a decade earlier...

Except that no one played System Shock. While it's the father of Bioshock, Bioshock was the game to influence the industry.

My opinion on audio logs is that they're fine if done well. They have to be appropriately paced, not only in length of message but apart in the game. I had so many instances of finding one audio log, to finding another while listening to it. So I had to sit and wait for this one to end before I could start listening to the next one.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Yeah, it's piss poor writing most of the time and it breaks my immersion completely.

Kaneman! said:
Dunno what the fuss is about, if you don't like them, just skip them. I like them, however, because it's a good way to do exposition.

Not so smple. I want a good narrative, just not in the form of cheap audio logs.

outlawauron said:
m0ney said:

Actually it was System Shock, a decade earlier...

Except that no one played System Shock. While it's the father of Bioshock, Bioshock was the game to influence the industry.

System Shock 2 was a big deal, it became instant classic. Of course consoles of the time were not capable of running anything like that but don't underestimate its influence.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

I just don't like them when as soon as I activate them, 10 enemies come to kill me and it's playing in the background while I'm trying to not die.