By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo has a realistic shot at returning to #1 this fiscal year - RESULT: Nintendo back on top (21.45m), Sony second (19m+)

Which company will sell the most consoles in the fiscal year ending March 2018?

Sony (by more than 3m) 260 27.84%

Sony (between 2-3m more) 52 5.57%

Sony (between 1-2m more) 73 7.82%

Virtually tied (within 1m of each other) 133 14.24%

Nintendo (between 1-2m more) 150 16.06%

Nintendo (between 2-3m more) 59 6.32%

Nintendo (by more than 3m) 104 11.13%

Microsoft (seriously) 15 1.61%

Microsoft (for the lulz) 30 3.21%

Scoreboard 58 6.21%

Total:934
radishhead said:
Jpcc86 said:
I quite honestly think 10m Switch sold is the best case scenario, but not the most likely one. I expect it to sell less.

10 million is a hugely conservative estimate. Nintendo lowballed it so they can show off how they beat it later. You're mad if you think they'll fall short.

The Switch and its success has made me have fun doing math. So, Nintendo expected to sell 2m Switches in the launch month, and ended up selling 2.74m. Meaning they sold 37% more Switches than they expected.

If we assume the same happens for FY2017, they should end up selling 13.7m Switches. I can see that.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network

So people are back to combining nintendo's handheld and console to PS4. Just to try and spin some kind of Nintendo win lol. If none of the systems out sell PS4. Then PS4 wins. It's pretty simple

I do think Switch can sell more than 10 million though

Rem87919394 said:
So people are back to combining nintendo's handheld and console to PS4. Just to try and spin some kind of Nintendo win lol. If none of the systems out sell PS4. Then PS4 wins. It's pretty simple

Since we are counting fiscal year we have to compare both handheld and consoles. Blame the Vita because PS4 have to carry the burden alone

A handheld gamer only (for now).

radishhead said:
Jpcc86 said:
I quite honestly think 10m Switch sold is the best case scenario, but not the most likely one. I expect it to sell less.

10 million is a hugely conservative estimate. Nintendo lowballed it so they can show off how they beat it later. You're mad if you think they'll fall short.

It's not hard to look and find there is not even a 35% premium on buying a Switch when it's out of stock. There is little reason to believe demand is significantly higher than supply here; it's far more likely it has been just a litte higher, and dropping.

Despite all of this, some Nintendo fans, for some reason, deemed fit to take a small uncertainty as a free pass to wildly speculate the potential for Wii-like sales where even Nintendo assumes, and expects, the console to sell lower than the Wii, the DS, and even the 3DS.

Are most of you guys really that young to not notice the Switch hasn't even a fraction of the cultural impact and media impact the Wii or even the DS had a decade ago?

I know Rol isn't, but I can only especulate on his reasons to pose as the next JohnLucas. Maybe the poor guy is just success-starved after the 8th generation, who knows. Some people seem to link their self-steem to how companies perform, so yeah.

Around the Network
Rem87919394 said:

Hes comparing SWitch and 3DS versus PS4 and Vita

haxxiy said:
radishhead said:

It's not hard to look and find there is not even a 35% premium on buying a Switch when it's out of stock. There is little reason to believe demand is significantly higher than supply here; it's far more likely it has been just a litte higher, and dropping.

Despite all of this, some Nintendo fans, for some reason, deemed fit to take a small uncertainty as a free pass to wildly speculate the potential for Wii-like sales where even Nintendo assumes, and expects, the console to sell lower than the Wii, the DS, and even the 3DS.

Are most of you guys really that young to not notice the Switch hasn't even a fraction of the cultural impact and media impact the Wii or even the DS had a decade ago?

I know Rol isn't, but I can only especulate on his reasons to pose as the next JohnLucas. Maybe the poor guy is just success-starved after the 8th generation, who knows. Some people seem to link their self-steem to how companies perform, so yeah.

The PS4 has been outselling the PS2 for a while now, and even outsold the Wii for the first few months. We didn't see a "cultural impact" then. When everyone can play games on their phones (which wasn't such a thing in 2006), gaming becomes mainstream and it's not a big deal if another box sells at high levels.

@bolded http://www.vgchartz.com/article/268050/kimishima-switch-can-sell-as-well-as-wii/

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

Rem87919394 said:

this thread is in response to the people who think Sony will close the 200 million gap in overall hardware sales against Nintendo. It will take decades if Sony is only shipping a few million more than Nintendo on a yearly basis.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

jason1637 said:
Rem87919394 said:

Hes comparing SWitch and 3DS versus PS4 and Vita

Not saying it's his intent because I honestly don't know. But usually it's to paint Nintendo in a better picture. Either way I think both the PS4 and Switch will sell well

twintail said:
RolStoppable said:

There isn't a big gap between these forecasts and Nintendo is more likely than Sony to exceed theirs. It's certainly doable for Nintendo to beat Sony, hence why I call it a realistic shot. It's by no means a given who will win and that's what makes it interesting.

What makes it more likely for Nintendo than it does for Sony?

Switch's 1st year on the market Vs PS4's 4th. I don't see the PS4 not reaching Sony's expectations tho.