By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo has a realistic shot at returning to #1 this fiscal year - RESULT: Nintendo back on top (21.45m), Sony second (19m+)

Which company will sell the most consoles in the fiscal year ending March 2018?

Sony (by more than 3m) 260 27.84%

Sony (between 2-3m more) 52 5.57%

Sony (between 1-2m more) 73 7.82%

Virtually tied (within 1m of each other) 133 14.24%

Nintendo (between 1-2m more) 150 16.06%

Nintendo (between 2-3m more) 59 6.32%

Nintendo (by more than 3m) 104 11.13%

Microsoft (seriously) 15 1.61%

Microsoft (for the lulz) 30 3.21%

Scoreboard 58 6.21%

Total:934

I remember this thread. If I remember right I think I voted for a virtual tie, or perhaps a Sony win by 1-2 million.

In hindsight, a virtual tie still seems pretty likely, or perhaps a Nintendo win by 1-2 million. What surprises me the most though is the 3DS. How Nintendo managed to ship 1.9 million of the 3DS in this quarter baffles me. Do that many people still want the 3DS?

Around the Network

So Sony is still ahead?

Vita in Japan alone did the 250k+ difference, a bit more from other countries like China.
PS3 added minimal sales as well, unless Sony announces the end of shipments for the PS3.

Farsala said:
So Sony is still ahead?

Vita in Japan alone did the 250k+ difference, a bit more from other countries like China.
PS3 added minimal sales as well, unless Sony announces the end of shipments for the PS3.

Vita only sold 108k in Japan from April 3rd to September 10th. You're looking at the calendar year, not fiscal year.

StarDoor said:
Farsala said:
So Sony is still ahead?

Vita only sold 108k in Japan from April 3rd to September 10th. You're looking at the calendar year, not fiscal year.

True, but shipments are higher then sales, and it still discounts the shipments for the PS3 and Vita from other countries. I can't imagine they keep shipping the PS3 unless it is shipping a sufficient amount.

On September 29, 2015, Sony confirmed that sales of the PlayStation 3 were to be discontinued in New Zealand, but the system remained in production in other markets.[17] Shipments of new units to the United States ended in October 2016.[18][19] Heading into 2017, Japan was the last territory where new units were still being produced until May 29, 2017 when Sony confirmed the PlayStation 3 was discontinued in Japan.[20][21][22][18][19]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3
Some facts regarding ps3 discontinuation since farsala referred to that...

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Teeqoz said:
I remember this thread. If I remember right I think I voted for a virtual tie, or perhaps a Sony win by 1-2 million.

In hindsight, a virtual tie still seems pretty likely, or perhaps a Nintendo win by 1-2 million. What surprises me the most though is the 3DS. How Nintendo managed to ship 1.9 million of the 3DS in this quarter baffles me. Do that many people still want the 3DS?

The New 2DS XL launched, hence the high numbers for the quarter, but no adjustment to the fiscal year forecast. At 2.86m the 3DS is already almost halfway at 6m, but it's clear that the Q2 performance was inflated, so Nintendo isn't bullish.

As for why people still want the 3DS, Nintendo's mindshare has been on the rise in the past year and the 3DS sits in a very affordable price range for hardware and software. The Nintendo Selects series (equivalent to Platinum on PlayStation) sells for $/€20 a piece and combined with the evergreen nature of various Nintendo IPs, the 3DS is a really solid option to get into Nintendo or back into Nintendo again. The New 2DS XL also combines the lack of the loathed 3D with a clamshell design and bigger screens, so it opens up a segment of the market that previously refused to buy the system.

Don't forget DQ XI. The 3DS sold over 140k just in Japan the week it released.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Nintendo changed the entire industry with the Switch. You're going to see a refocus coming from Sony and Microsoft on leveraging the differences between the switch and their consoles. Which, frankly is resolution when it comes down to it.

I miss so many threads now lol.

Switch will push Nintendo over this fiscal year and next.

2018 will see Nintendo demonstrate that Switch is now their primary / only hardware line as major "portable" first party titles are announced for Switch. Additionally, Switch will get those common 3rd party titles now that each company has had time to 1) enhance their tools for Switch 2) see Switch succeed in the market 3) plan for Switch support in their budgets.

Sometime in 2019 this will be come a conversation again when Sony is looking at PS5 and Nintendo is looking at a new updated Switch of some sort. (This goes back to my long-standing statement that Consoles have been moving to follow a mobile approach to new hardware.)

I meant Vita instead of PS3 in regards to shipments, I do wonder when they will end shipments for the Vita.

Odd that Japan was the last country for PS3 when it was selling so badly there in comparison to US In 2016.

It sold at least 65k in US NPDs by September 2016 and then it got discontinued, by comparison in Japan it sold 61k for the entire year.

I think my original vote was for a virtual tie. Difficult to tell without Vita shipments. It's conceivable that both Nintendo and Sony could raise their forecasts again based on the current quarter, so I'll stick with a virtual draw.