By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Am I the only one that realizes Project Scorpio is the Cloud?

Tagged games:

Your take?

Agree 18 13.85%

Didn't realize it 5 3.85%

Disagree 23 17.69%

Shut up 15 11.54%

Fanboy 10 7.69%

Don't care, will get it 10 7.69%

Don't care, won't get 26 20.00%

Switch is stronger 10 7.69%

PS4 Pro sucks, tho 11 8.46%

Go LoD 2 1.54%

Total:130
m0ney said:
Wait till Sony unleashes to TRUE power of the PS3 CELL

Fun fact: Microsoft's Azure cloud consists completely of old PS3s.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The high end destruction is only in the multiplayer mode and that uses the cloud. Even the Scropio lacks the CPU power to do that.

This is old news I'm giving you by the way.

Well Scorpio could be capable to something  similar to the detail but if the current rumors are true they opted for CPU potato again. I still think the whole cloud computing won't amount to much and will end as a side note in a mediocre game while it's being sold as the main attraction.

We'll see but I don't see the cloud in gaming in the near future.

MS said they can use like 20 times the CPU power via the cloud. Even a high end PC CPU can't achieve that.

I'm skeptical about the cloud in gaming, but the demos look promising.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

m0ney said:

Wait till Sony unleashes the TRUE power of the PS3 CELL

MS's entire network infrastructure is actually just a single PS3.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

BraLoD said:
SegataSanshiro said:
Blast processing> The cloud.

Blast processing > Segata Sanshiro

The Mega Drive secret sauce is unrivaled.

I am blast processing! Why I can't keep a girlfriend!

BraLoD said:

Back in the day, TEH CLOUD power boost XBO and its games would get were all the talk around MS new device, as we know it turned out to never happen as expected, but not only it didn't happen, they are now actually selling it as another piece of hardware, with very likely a premium price, to deliver what they told the Cloud would do to the XBO just by connecting into the internet.
Even the power boost matches, the Cloud was once told to make the XBO around or more than 4x more powerful than it is, and the Scorpio specs are just around that.

I fail to see how any XBO owner can be happy about Scorpio existence, actually the opposite should be the case, it may be a new entry point for newcomers, but it's definitely a scam towards people that fell for that talk, and now will have to buy another costly device which is the complete opposite to what the Cloud promisse once was, it's actually so ironical it's not even just sad, honestly.

Opinions?

http://i.imgur.com/8NVOy9f.gifv

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Ganoncrotch said:

I think this was the last major time the cloud was tried to be used to push the original X1 system as something that it wasn't, which was sad because the upgraded system was already in the works while their PR crew were out trying to sell this, but given this was at the Japan launch of the machine it isn't really a wonder why the machine sells triple figures there each week.

Yup, I remember that one xP

Just seen it and couldn't help but sing "it's raining 360s! hallelujah!!" and then turning to the japanese crowd all looking back like.... "But we hated 360s"

:D

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

BraLoD said:
JRPGfan said:

http://i.imgur.com/8NVOy9f.gifv

Uhh... ok? Dunno what was supposed to mean.

That is proof that its not just some big machine server cluster farm, and "cloud" thats project scorpio.

Its a actual physical machine (console) that is ment for consumers to buy and use, same as the ps4/pro, xb1,xb1s.

Project Scorpio =/= Cloud

I know you didnt mean it litterly... however the cloud stuff really erks me, I think its a good thing if it stays out of consoles.

People should have realised MS was just talking out of its arse when it went on and on about "the power of the cloud" stuff.

VGPolyglot said:
Jpcc86 said:
Fun fact: The cells that make up the antlers of a moose are the fastest growing animal cells in nature.

So, those are living cells? That sounds like it'd be painful getting cut off!

your hair and nails has living cells in it and it doesn't hurt while is being cut off. don't know about the moose though...
/ OffTopic

that cloud talk is just tipical MS PR... thinking that we are all stupid... even now, the claims that consoles are going to be replaced by stream services in the near future is just stupid... gaming is expanding as a entertaining medium and games are expanding the needs of processing power... the server farms needed to simulate the current vanila ps4 x the number of units in the wild ( not all are turned on at the same time but the possibility of doing that is real) means the need of 120 millions gflops (120 000 petaflops or 120 exaflops) now imagine the next gen... or imagine all of the 3 main companies together... not gonna happen... ever... local processing power is aways better than remote in every way... ALWAYS... that will hold as true unless we have a huge and radical change in the processing method (eg quantum mechanics) until that... we will have consoles...

edit:just so you can see it more clearly. this is the 2nd most powerfull super computer in the world. the first has roughly 3 times more processing power... even that doesn't emulate 0,1% of the ps4 out there...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

The cloud simply was and still is a good way to replace centralised servers and less finely distributed computing (but it still is distributed computing and its concepts were already well known twenty years ago).
It cannot replace local computing for local tasks when low latency is required, like in geming, but it's perfect to manage online services in general and, in gaming, for massive online worlds. But forget about it increasing local graphics power, its lag would make gaming horrible if used that way, at most it could be used to pre-compute the look of some parts of the world visible, but very far away from the player character.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

sergiodaly said:
VGPolyglot said:

So, those are living cells? That sounds like it'd be painful getting cut off!

your hair and nails has living cells in it and it doesn't hurt while is being cut off. don't know about the moose though...
/ OffTopic

When fully developed, antlers are dead bone without a horn or skin covering. Not so during the growing process tough, then the cells are alive. Hair and nails only grow at the base, the part you see are dead cells.