By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sells 459,000 copies on launch day in US, fastest-selling Mario Kart in the US.

Slownenberg said:
Wow that is impressive! So like 750k+ WW day 1 probably. incredible! Small userbase, 3 year old port, but its the Switch and the best version of Mario Kart ever so MONSTER SALES. Looks like I was wrong thinking MK8D would sell really well but not crazy normal MK types numbers. This thing is gonna be huge. Can't believe it beat MKWii day one sales that is nuts.

The majority of Mario Kart games have sold more outside of the US than in it, so there's a good chance it hit 1 million Day 1.

Around the Network

! Day 1 US only. Wow. Very nice.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Good thing I have finals or I'd have bought it and be lost to it.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Wright said:

I'll never be able to understand the craze with Mario Kart, I'm afraid. Those are some great sales, indeed.

Yeah, i'm in the same boat. It's fun with friends, but outside of that Mario Kart's appeal is mostly lost on me. I seem to dislike effectively everything focused on driving though, regardless to how realistic or comical. I'm the Grinch of driving :p

specialk said:
I think now is a good time to point out that the best selling PS4 game is a port of the best selling PS3 game.

Consumers are okay paying for the latest and greatest version of incredible games.

Yep, no matter which platform.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
EricFabian said:
areason said:
Well it's the systems 2nd game.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/268019/super-bomberman-r-ships-over-500000-units-1-2-switch-on-track-for-1-million/

Yeah mate, it's definetely a system seller, and not bought because their isn't anything else.

It's propestrous to claim that until now the only thing worth buying on the switch is zelda. 

Zekkyou said:
areason said:
Well it's the systems 2nd game.

No it's not. 2nd AAA Nintendo release sure, which is relevant, but those aren't the only games on the system.

Yeah people defintely bought the system for 1,2 switch and super bomberman, poor Nintendo games having too much competition. 

Zekkyou said:
Wright said:

I'll never be able to understand the craze with Mario Kart, I'm afraid. Those are some great sales, indeed.

Yeah, i'm in the same boat. It's fun with friends, but outside of that Mario Kart's appeal is mostly lost on me. I seem to dislike effectively everything focused on driving though, regardless to how realistic or comical. I'm the Grinch of driving :p

I do like certain racing games (used to enjoy NfS Most Wanted a lot, and had plenty of fun playing Project Gotham Racing), but for some reason I really don't get the fun of Mario Kart. It's a frustrating exercise of skill that could be hampered at any moment because the game actively tries to screw the racer on first position and give all sorts of advantages to those behind, to find some artificial balance. I guess it's cool to screw up friends that way, but I can't honestly find enjoyement with it myself. xD

Augen said:
Incredible. Nintendo seeing these sales might mean other Wii U titles to Switch? I'd love Wii U Smash or Mario on the go.

Even the remasters from older games on the WiiU would be great to see going to the Switch, imagine Twilight Princess or Wind Waker on a portable machine.

My body is ready.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

first hour at my bestbuy we had about 20 people come in to buy. Then shipped us almost 100 copies of the game, which i thought was way to much, but we sold half of them in 3 days. amazing