By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Emulation - The Legalities, Ethics, Benefits and Drawbacks

CladInShadows said:
SvennoJ said:
So what's the stance now on pirating old games when they're available to buy again?

I've seen a lot of arguments saying it's ok to pirate old games, to preserve them etc. However with all the classic/mini consoles coming out now, GOG adding more and more classics, does that argument still hold any water? Star fox 2 for example, time to put the download to rest? Or is the argument now, it's too hard to get, can't wait until I find one in a shop, must pirate now. Or it's not good enough, I want it on the convenience of my pc in 4K with mustaches drawn on all the characters.

Still piracy.  It's always been piracy.  Some people are just ok with it.  But it's 100% piracy unless you own the game.

What's the difference between emulation being piracy unless you own the game and emulation being OK unless you pirate the game? They seem the same to me.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Explain why or leave the thread. Or do you have nothing to contribute other than a gif? 

It shouldn't need explanation. We're talking about CEMU and PS3 games now - not when CEMU first launched. Trying to make a moral dillema because an emulator launched a bit too early for your liking - when we're in fact talking about emulation threads NOW - is not an equivalent dichatomy. In fact it's changing goal posts. 

Right, so the Cemu comparison isn't applicable because it happened in the past? Sorry, but past events are not automatically disqualified from being relevant to a discussion. What goal posts have I moved? You read, a little too much into that post. I simply wanted to see if VGpolyglot cared at all about piracy of modern console games, and it's clear that doesn't. 

Gotta head to work now. I'll respond later today. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

It shouldn't need explanation. We're talking about CEMU and PS3 games now - not when CEMU first launched. Trying to make a moral dillema because an emulator launched a bit too early for your liking - when we're in fact talking about emulation threads NOW - is not an equivalent dichatomy. In fact it's changing goal posts. 

Right, so the Cemu comparison isn't applicable because it happened in the past? Sorry, but past events are not automatically disqualified from being relevant to a discussion. What goal posts have I moved? You read, a little too much into that post. I simply wanted to see if VGpolyglot cared at all about piracy of modern console games, and it's clear the doesn't. 

What leads you to making these big sweeping conclusions? Do you honestly think I disqualified it because it happened in the past? No, I disqualified it because that past event doesn't make sense as an eample now. 

We're talking about emulation of Wii U and PS3 games - games that came out on dying consoles. The moral dichatomy of an emulator coming out almost immediately after a console launches, and what you actually take issue with on this forum - talking about PS3 and Wii U games - is very different. 

Zkuq said:
CladInShadows said:

Still piracy.  It's always been piracy.  Some people are just ok with it.  But it's 100% piracy unless you own the game.

What's the difference between emulation being piracy unless you own the game and emulation being OK unless you pirate the game? They seem the same to me.

Let's take emulation out of the equation.  Piracy is illegal.  If you play a game you don't own, you pirated it.  If you play a game you do own, you did not pirate it.  And adding emulation back in...if you emulate a game you down own, it's piracy.  If you emulate a game you do own, it's not piracy. 

Emulation and piracy are two separate concepts.  Emulation is just one (of many) way to play a game you either pirated or did not pirate.

I can kinda justify the emulation of old games but fuck everyone that's using emulators to play stuff like BotW and persona 5. If I go to the store and buy a book that doesn't give me the right to steal a 2nd copy just because I already own it. It's almost annoying to see mods endorse all of the emulation threads that have been popping up recently. People like that are only talking away from the industry and developers.

Around the Network
collint0101 said:
I can kinda justify the emulation of old games but fuck everyone that's using emulators to play stuff like BotW and persona 5.

Ooh yeah, please fuck me

collint0101 said:
I can kinda justify the emulation of old games but fuck everyone that's using emulators to play stuff like BotW and persona 5. If I go to the store and buy a book that doesn't give me the right to steal a 2nd copy just because I already own it. It's almost annoying to see mods endorse all of the emulation threads that have been popping up recently. People like that are only talking away from the industry and developers.

How is it any different to emulating old games? Nintendo is selling the SNES mini right now and has been offering their old games on their store for years now.

Leadified said:
collint0101 said:

How is it any different to emulating old games? Nintendo is selling the SNES mini right now and has been offering their old games on their store for years now.

That why I said I can kinda justify it. Some games are simply gone, there's a lot of stuff out there that we're never going to see on steam or the eShop or psn whether it be for legal reasons, licensing fees or a lack of interest from publishers ect and I'm ok with people emulating games like that. Before the snes classic there was no real way outside of emulation to play star fox 2 so that's understandable but no one has any reason to emulation something like Sonic 1 which has probably been released on over a dozen different platforms. 

CladInShadows said:
Zkuq said:

Let's take emulation out of the equation.  Piracy is illegal.  If you play a game you don't own, you pirated it.  If you play a game you do own, you did not pirate it.  And adding emulation back in...if you emulate a game you down own, it's piracy.  If you emulate a game you do own, it's not piracy. 

Emulation and piracy are two separate concepts.  Emulation is just one (of many) way to play a game you either pirated or did not pirate.

If you admit they're different, act like it instead of saying emulation is piracy unless something. By saying what you did, you paint a narrative instead of conveying the truth.

collint0101 said:
Leadified said:

That why I said I can kinda justify it. Some games are simply gone, there's a lot of stuff out there that we're never going to see on steam or the eShop or psn whether it be for legal reasons, licensing fees or a lack of interest from publishers ect and I'm ok with people emulating games like that. Before the snes classic there was no real way outside of emulation to play star fox 2 so that's understandable but no one has any reason to emulation something like Sonic 1 which has probably been released on over a dozen different platforms. 

If it's based on personal morality then you could start to justify piracy in any way you want really. Many people would find it acceptable that if you already own a legal copy or it's abandonware then downloading a ROM is not that big of a deal, but nonetheless this is still illegal.