By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Emulation - The Legalities, Ethics, Benefits and Drawbacks

Cerebralbore101 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Well, do you want to make a stand against mod corruption? If you value your principles above all else, that's one way showing your dedication to the anti-piracy cause!

I seriously considered leaving the site over this. But despite it's flaws this is still the best place to talk bout video games on the internet. There's not so many people that threads are a thousand pages long before you get a chance to read them. Most of the userbase are fans of Nintendo and Sony. One thing I am doing is withdrawing my supporter status and going back to using adblock. If I knew of a relatively active forum where people weren't allowed to discuss emulation of games that are still on store shelves I'd go there. But none exist. 

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

And they've been given their little vacuum now. Any conversation about emulation without mentioning piracy is just as one sided, and devoid of interesting discussion as a bunch of hardcore Nintendo fans agreeing with each other on the Nintendolife forums. 

Well, you seem to be having a fun time on this thread, so I'd say it's not as gloomy as you make it out to be.

That's because this thread, isn't that thread. Notice how I haven't even posted in that thread? Now that I've been digging into my Terranigma Repro I'd love to talk about it there, but I'm not going to, (because bringing up how it's fair game for a Repro due to it's age, and lack of release in the states is banned from the discussion). If I can't say everything I want to say in a thread, about a topic, then it's pointless to bother. I mean, imagine a future thread on Super Mario Odyssey, where you can't even point out that one level that you didn't like. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Well, you seem to be having a fun time on this thread, so I'd say it's not as gloomy as you make it out to be.

That's because this thread, isn't that thread. Notice how I haven't even posted in that thread? Now that I've been digging into my Terranigma Repro I'd love to talk about it there, but I'm not going to, (because bringing up how it's fair game for a Repro due to it's age, and lack of release in the states is banned from the discussion). If I can't say everything I want to say in a thread, about a topic, then it's pointless to bother. I mean, imagine a future thread on Super Mario Odyssey, where you can't even point out that one level that you didn't like. 

Oh, so reproductions are fine? I am not entirely sure that it's PC gaming that you have a problem with, not the piracy and emulation.

VGPolyglot said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Oh, so reproductions are fine? I am not entirely sure that it's PC gaming that you have a problem with, not the piracy and emulation.

C'mon man. I said it all the way back in Zero's thread on BotW back in May. Emulation is fine so long as you aren't using it to pirate games that are on store shelves. Repro carts aren't exactly emulation, but the same principle applies. Eventually patents run out and things become public domain. I'm a firm believer that piracy of anything over a decade old is just fine, since there's hardly any money to be made off of it. If these Persona 5, and BotW emulation threads were made in 2021 when Switch and PS4 are last gen, I wouldn't have an issue with it at all. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
VGPolyglot said:

C'mon man. I said it all the way back in Zero's thread on BotW back in May. Emulation is fine so long as you aren't using it to pirate games that are on store shelves. Repro carts aren't exactly emulation, but the same principle applies. Eventually patents run out and things become public domain. I'm a firm believer that piracy of anything over a decade old is just fine, since there's hardly any money to be made off of it. If these Persona 5, and BotW emulation threads were made in 2021 when Switch and PS4 are last gen, I wouldn't have an issue with it at all. 

So, you're the one who gets to the decide the arbitary cut-off for what's acceptable and what isn't? And video games are held under copyright laws, that's different from patents, as copyright lasts up to 75 years.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

So, you're the one who gets to the decide the arbitary cut-off for what's acceptable and what isn't? 

But it isn't arbitary. And it's not just my position. Extra Credits holds the same views on it as I do. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
VGPolyglot said:

So, you're the one who gets to the decide the arbitary cut-off for what's acceptable and what isn't? 

But it isn't arbitary. And it's not just my position. Extra Credits holds the same views on it as I do. 

And Extra Credits are just some other people on the internet, much like you and I.

VGPolyglot said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

And Extra Credits are just some other people on the internet, much like you and I.

So let me get this straight. If a patreon page were to go up asking for donations for a Switch emulator on PC, and it got funded, and tomorrow morning Switch had an emulator for PC working perfectly, you wouldn't have a problem with that? Keep in mind that the Wii U was only a little over two years old when Cemu was launched. A third of the best games on Wii U had either just released at that time, or had yet to come out. 

RolStoppable said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Extra Credits also made the argument that the Vita failed because it was too good.

But it was too good. The graphics were too demanding for AA developers to afford to develop for it. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
VGPolyglot said:

So let me get this straight. If a patreon page were to go up asking for donations for a Switch emulator on PC, and it got funded, and tomorrow morning Switch had an emulator for PC working perfectly, you wouldn't have a problem with that? Keep in mind that the Wii U was only a little over two years old when Cemu was launched. A third of the best games on Wii U had either just released at that time, or had yet to come out. 

No, I wouldn't have a problem with it. And the American court system ruled that commercial emulators were allowed after Sony tried to sue 2 different companies and failed.