By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Emulation - The Legalities, Ethics, Benefits and Drawbacks

Cerebralbore101 said:
VGPolyglot said:

I'd say that actually makes a lot of sense, allowing it for hunting but not to kill local drug dealers.

Normally that sort of thing would make sense. But when it's clear that the cops are crooked, and just want to keep the drug dealer in bussiness, we have a problem. 

The problem I have is that the mods are going out of their way to protect pirates to such an extent that it's clear they are crooked. I should be able to protest post in any threads concerning the emulation of BotW, or Persona 5 on PC. What the mods are doing right now is akin to telling abortion critics that they can't protest in front of or near an abortion clinic. Making a rule that you can't talk about either of those games in emulation threads does step on the toes of free speech. But making rules that you can't talk about piracy in emulation threads steps on the toes of free speech just as much. 

The hands off approach they took before was fine. Now that Miguel has gone ahead and made rules that people can't say specific things in emulation threads, he's favoring pirates. 

He's not favouring pirates, in fact he made a rule that you can't link to pirated content.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Normally that sort of thing would make sense. But when it's clear that the cops are crooked, and just want to keep the drug dealer in bussiness, we have a problem. 

The problem I have is that the mods are going out of their way to protect pirates to such an extent that it's clear they are crooked. I should be able to protest post in any threads concerning the emulation of BotW, or Persona 5 on PC. What the mods are doing right now is akin to telling abortion critics that they can't protest in front of or near an abortion clinic. Making a rule that you can't talk about either of those games in emulation threads does step on the toes of free speech. But making rules that you can't talk about piracy in emulation threads steps on the toes of free speech just as much. 

The hands off approach they took before was fine. Now that Miguel has gone ahead and made rules that people can't say specific things in emulation threads, he's favoring pirates. 

He's not favouring pirates, in fact he made a rule that you can't link to pirated content.

- No links to illegal content
- No discussion of piracy
- No accusations of piracy
- No debating when it is ok or not ok to use emulation
- Just keep the derailing of the thread with respect to piracy out of it.

The bolded are rules made to silence critics of piracy. So he has one rule against piracy and four rules against people criticizing it. He's clearly favoring pirates. Talk of piracy in emulation threads is relevant, and thus it shouldn't qualify as derailing. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
VGPolyglot said:

The bolded are rules made to silence critics of piracy. So he has one rule against piracy and four rules against people criticizing it. He's clearly favoring pirates. Talk of piracy in emulation threads is relevant, and thus it shouldn't qualify as derailing. 

It's clearly stated that if you want to discuss the legality of piracy and emulation to do so here. The other thread is specifically to discuss emulation itself, not the ethics behind it.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Cerebralbore101 said:
VGPolyglot said:

There's this thread right here to complain about it all you want.

VGPolyglot said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Hey, abortion critics, you can't picket in front of clinics anymore! You have to protest in this specific area that is miles away from any clinics. 

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Hey, abortion critics, you can't picket in front of clinics anymore! You have to protest in this specific area that is miles away from any clinics. 

I can understand that, because a lot of women getting abortions are harassed for doing it and making them uncomfortable.

VGPolyglot said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I can understand that, because a lot of women getting abortions are harassed for doing it and making them uncomfortable.

I'm all for abortion, but that's a diliberate attempt to silence critics. 

We could use another example if we wanted. Hey Trump supporters, you aren't allowed to hold rallies in D.C. anymore. We've created this special area twenty miles outside of D.C. just for you to hold rallies. Hey Atheists, you aren't allowed to picket in front of a ten commandments monument. We've created this special area seven miles away from any courthouse, monument, or government building for you to do that!

Trying to make sure that protesters can't protest in front of the things that they are protesting is a clear free speech violation. It's nothing more than an effort to make sure that the target audience doesn't hear the message of the protesters. I should be able to post directly in that thread, just the same as a picketer should be able to picket within the vicinity of the thing they are picketing. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
VGPolyglot said:

We could use another example if we wanted. Hey Trump supporters, you aren't allowed to hold rallies in D.C. anymore. We've created this special area twenty miles outside of D.C. just for you to hold rallies. Hey Atheists, you aren't allowed to picket in front of a ten commandments monument. We've created this special area seven miles away from any courthouse, monument, or government building for you to do that!

You know, this was made as a compromise to both people, where people could discuss emulation in that thread, while discussing piracy in this thread.

VGPolyglot said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

You know, this was made as a compromise to both people, where people could discuss emulation in that thread, while discussing piracy in this thread.

Right, and saying that people can't picket in front of the things they are protesting is also "a compromise". In case you didn't get a chance to read my edit...

Trying to make sure that protesters can't protest in front of the things that they are protesting is a clear free speech violation. It's nothing more than an effort to make sure that the target audience doesn't hear the message of the protesters. I should be able to post directly in that thread, just the same as a picketer should be able to picket within the vicinity of the thing they are picketing. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Right, and saying that people can't picket in front of the things they are protesting is also "a compromise". In case you didn't get a chance to read my edit...

Well, you can go post in the thread if you want, but we'll see how it turns out