By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Emulation - The Legalities, Ethics, Benefits and Drawbacks

Cerebralbore101 said:
VGPolyglot said:

And Extra Credits are just some other people on the internet, much like you and I.

So let me get this straight. If a patreon page were to go up asking for donations for a Switch emulator on PC, and it got funded, and tomorrow morning Switch had an emulator for PC working perfectly, you wouldn't have a problem with that? Keep in mind that the Wii U was only a little over two years old when Cemu was launched. A third of the best games on Wii U had either just released at that time, or had yet to come out. 

Be quiet. That hypothetical has NOTHING to do with what we're talking about hear and now.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

So let me get this straight. If a patreon page were to go up asking for donations for a Switch emulator on PC, and it got funded, and tomorrow morning Switch had an emulator for PC working perfectly, you wouldn't have a problem with that? Keep in mind that the Wii U was only a little over two years old when Cemu was launched. A third of the best games on Wii U had either just released at that time, or had yet to come out. 

No, I wouldn't have a problem with it. And the American court system ruled that commercial emulators were allowed after Sony tried to sue 2 different companies and failed.

In that case all piracy is fine in your eyes. 

xl-klaudkil said:
Piracy,noo matter how you look at it.

How so?

Cerebralbore101 said:
VGPolyglot said:

He's not favouring pirates, in fact he made a rule that you can't link to pirated content.

- No links to illegal content
- No discussion of piracy
- No accusations of piracy
- No debating when it is ok or not ok to use emulation
- Just keep the derailing of the thread with respect to piracy out of it.

The bolded are rules made to silence critics of piracy. So he has one rule against piracy and four rules against people criticizing it. He's clearly favoring pirates. Talk of piracy in emulation threads is relevant, and thus it shouldn't qualify as derailing. 

The bolded are rules made to silence those who don't know the difference between emulation and piracy.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Be quiet. That hypothetical has NOTHING to do with what we're talking about hear and now.

Explain why or leave the thread. Or do you have nothing to contribute other than a gif? 

Around the Network
CladInShadows said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

- No links to illegal content
- No discussion of piracy
- No accusations of piracy
- No debating when it is ok or not ok to use emulation
- Just keep the derailing of the thread with respect to piracy out of it.

The bolded are rules made to silence critics of piracy. So he has one rule against piracy and four rules against people criticizing it. He's clearly favoring pirates. Talk of piracy in emulation threads is relevant, and thus it shouldn't qualify as derailing. 

The bolded are rules made to silence those who don't know the difference between emulation and piracy.

Except I've stated the difference as far back as May. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
VGPolyglot said:

No, I wouldn't have a problem with it. And the American court system ruled that commercial emulators were allowed after Sony tried to sue 2 different companies and failed.

In that case all piracy is fine in your eyes. 

Yes, emulation of modern consoles is fine in my eyes.

Cerebralbore101 said:
CladInShadows said:

Except I've stated the difference as far back as May. 

That's cool that you have an opinion on when emulation is cool and when it isn't cool.  And when it's piracy and not piracy.  But it's really just your opinion, no matter how strongly you feel about it.

Buy game.  Emulate system.  Play game.  Not piracy.  100% of the time.

*Edited because I quoted the wrong post.

Cerebralbore101 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Explain why or leave the thread. Or do you have nothing to contribute other than a gif? 

So not only do you want to censor people because of your own personal morality, but you also want to boss around other users? Rich. 

It shouldn't need explanation. We're talking about CEMU and PS3 games now - not when CEMU first launched. Trying to make a moral dillema because an emulator launched a bit too early for your liking - when we're in fact talking about emulation threads NOW - is not an equivalent dichatomy. In fact it's changing goal posts. 

This shouldn't even need to be explained, but apparently you don't understand nuance in the slightest, which is evident by your extremist attitude in this thread - what with the abortion examples and the like. You act like emulation killed your family. It's honestly pathetic. Other people against emulation brought up valid points, and left the thread. Or they continued the discussion in a productive manner. My gifs might not be productive, but they were never meant to be - they were a response to your hysterical, way too personal outlook on emulation. There is nothing wrong with believing in a stance, but the fact that you have to drag in your own moral compass and beliefs to defend your faulty positions is laughable.

SvennoJ said:
So what's the stance now on pirating old games when they're available to buy again?

I've seen a lot of arguments saying it's ok to pirate old games, to preserve them etc. However with all the classic/mini consoles coming out now, GOG adding more and more classics, does that argument still hold any water? Star fox 2 for example, time to put the download to rest? Or is the argument now, it's too hard to get, can't wait until I find one in a shop, must pirate now. Or it's not good enough, I want it on the convenience of my pc in 4K with mustaches drawn on all the characters.

Still piracy.  It's always been piracy.  Some people are just ok with it.  But it's 100% piracy unless you own the game.