By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Which is the better movie?

Vol. 1 17 45.95%

Vol. 2 10 27.03%

Undecided 4 10.81%

see results 6 16.22%

Total:37

I enjoyed the movie, it was very entertaining but also predictable. Well except for one part near the end. ^^

Around the Network

The best way I equate these films is if "Futurama" had a big budget film. There are jokes and silliness because it is intended to be fun, and yet both Guardians films made me feel more than any other super hero film I've seen. Comedy disarms me, it opens me up laughing and then the end hits me like a hammer. I remember a big moment in both the Avengers films that affected people and I felt nothing, but the end of this had emotional weight. I'd say Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is one of the best sequels I've ever seen, it felt like a natural extension of the first without ever getting stale.

Call me crazy, but these are 10/10 classics for me, right there with Back to the Future and Ghostbusters in terms of fun genre blending films I love. I'll buy this on Blu Ray and watch it dozen times like I did the first.

Also, as a comic fan the easter eggs and endings were a great bonus.

enjoyed it very much! them gold people are such d*bags...LOL!

Hard to pick one element out of such a fantastic film, but it would be a throw up from Yondu because of his character development.

Rocket and Groot for the scenes in the prison/with the bomb just for the patience of rocket as Groot tries to kill everyone.... and cut off some guys toe?

Drax's "Watch out" to the unconscious Mantis was amazing as well. Just had me in tears in the cinema laughing actually most of this film Drax's comedy was outstanding, even as a WWE fan it made me happy to see another one of the big dogs of WWE have gone on to find some success in film.

Like I said though... the whole film was as close to cinematic perfection for me I think. Just kept things lighthearted throughout, even while dealing with some major heavy scenes...

Also why isn't the Zune on this poll?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Goodnightmoon said:
mZuzek said:

Called it.

I don't get some of your complaints, though. "Too much shit going on all the time", when this is a much slower-paced movie than the first one, and has genuine moments of nothing going on? Vol. 1 was blistering action nonstop, there were barely any moments to sink in at all. "Too much like the first one", I guess it is true for some of the jokes and maybe the scene where Yondu uses his arrow, but for the most part the movie is very different from the first one in story and tone.

"Ugly color palette" I won't even get into, I'm assuming you're colorblind. You should see a doctor.

Having tons of pointless moments is not the same as being slow-paced, those moments where they are supossed to let the movie breath and sink in are usually too short or quickly interrumped by some sketch, wether it fits or not, I remember the first one being smarter about this.

The movie has a different focus than the first one, sure, but it still manages to produce many deja vu moments, it also exagerates too much some things that people liked about the first one, like the humor and the personality of some characters, to the point where it seemed a bit parodic sometimes.

The ugly color palette is a personal thing but I'm not sure i'm the one that needs a doctor since one of the friends I saw the film with is a colorist and he was not very convinced about the way they composed those B movie colors at all, but even then is still a personal thing. It wasn't only the colors though, the movie is visually flashy but also messy, is definitely not a great example of image and color composition, which doesn't mean is absolutely horrible either, some parts look better than others and I get the aesthetics they are aiming for, but I don't think they were very on point.

The movie was shot on a RED 8K as means for better color grading than the original. It is evident when you see the movie in a bigger IMAX laser screen format. But considering the fact that CGI was overly used, it negates the purpose of the shots. Some of the scenes in the private planet of Celestial Ego looked great while being trippy at others.

Overall, I was disappointed with the forced jokes throughout the movie, instilling that deja vu effect. Those drax scenes in particular had me cringing so much and made me wonder why this guy was cast in the first place. 

To talk about some scenes losing purpose at all, one prime example was Nebula and Gamora having their intimate sisters' scene, which started off as Nebula's raging attack from an M-ship only to be followed by Gamora using the fallen blaster.

Around the Network

Just saw the movie, very character centric, it was good , but I was bored a lot and some stuff was stretched out, Loved kurt russel though and imho first ones better.

P.S. The movie looks gorgeous

mZuzek said:
Augen said:
The best way I equate these films is if "Futurama" had a big budget film. There are jokes and silliness because it is intended to be fun, and yet both Guardians films made me feel more than any other super hero film I've seen. Comedy disarms me, it opens me up laughing and then the end hits me like a hammer. I remember a big moment in both the Avengers films that affected people and I felt nothing, but the end of this had emotional weight. I'd say Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is one of the best sequels I've ever seen, it felt like a natural extension of the first without ever getting stale.

Call me crazy, but these are 10/10 classics for me, right there with Back to the Future and Ghostbusters in terms of fun genre blending films I love. I'll buy this on Blu Ray and watch it dozen times like I did the first.

You know I won't call you crazy (because when it comes to this I'm even crazier), but your point about it being a "natural extension" of the first movie kinda got me thinking about the next one - that is, because Vol. 2 really kinda finished the story. I mean, at the end of Vol. 1 it felt like there was definitely a sequel needed, there were plenty of things that were left unfinished, but this time I feel like there's not much more to add, all of the main characters resolved their issues to some extent and if it wasn't for those post-credits scenes they might have as well just called it the end and it would've been fine.

...which is to say, I'm very excited about how they'll finish this trilogy, but I can't help but feel it didn't need to be one. I'm also a bit concerned, since now there's gonna be all the Avengers stuff (which I was glad they were staying away from) and who knows what effect that'll have on the third movie.

Yeah, I agree Vol. 3 will be a tough one to pull off, but if they give Gunn freedom I think it will be at least solid.  I just loved working Peter's parental issues as a through line and everything made sense and felt thought out from the beginning.

When people talk about "summer entertianment" this is what I want, fun.  I don't want dumb (Transfromers 5 preview...) I want a fun adventure with colorful characters.

The 3D effects are awesome!

I enjoyed it. I'd say equally to the first. It's a completely different movie to the first yet similar. If has established itself as my favourite Marvel film series by quite a mile. Some jokes did indeed feel forced but hit the mark almost every time! I'M MARY POPPINS!

Excited for the inevitable 3rd movie as well as how the guardians will tie in with the Avengers movie.

I'd probably give it a 9.

twintail said:
GameAnalyser said:

Overall, I was disappointed with the forced jokes throughout the movie, instilling that deja vu effect. Those drax scenes in particular had me cringing so much and made me wonder why this guy was cast in the first place. 

To talk about some scenes losing purpose at all, one prime example was Nebula and Gamora having their intimate sisters' scene, which started off as Nebula's raging attack from an M-ship only to be followed by Gamora using the fallen blaster.

hmmm I think the only section of the film that really falls flat is with Rocket being caught, even the jokes in that segment were just straight up not funny.

Everything else was good. And disagree with Drax. For the most part,  I think he had way better presence than most of the other actors. 

Well, respecting this, that was my take on the movie. Drax remained an issue throughout for me among most others.

I believe part of this has to do with Gunn's solo writing and directing as well when the original had  a co-writer for the script. The story revolving around the celestial Ego and the character deserved better treatment to make it more inspiring. Not to mention the overly reliant CGI turning non-judicious at several instances during the ultimate face-off between the central characters.