By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: Switch Buyers Are Primarily Men In Their 20s/30s

Women play tons of games -- on their phone. Let it be.

It's time hardcore gamers also humbled themselves and accepted smartphone gaming as an unmovable, central part of this industry.

Smartphone gaming does what it does, and it does it very well, in many cases better than a console ever could for certain demographics. 

The industry is doing great right now having content for all demographics, the regressive line of thinking is that those people all must purchase only one type of hardware, well not everyone has the same lifestyle or gaming needs, there's nothing wrong with smartphones servicing a certain portion of the market.

Mr. Miyamoto has even said his wife won't play Nintendo or console games when he brings them home to her -- the only games she plays are on the smartphone. If Miyamoto can't even get his wife to play Nintendo games over smartphone games, good luck to anyone else with that.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Women are a lost cause for console makers I think. They're too into their smartphones and honestly it's just a better fit for the types of games they like to play. 

There are some really cool hardcore gaming women of course, but I'm talking about the average women ... she's not going to buy a console. Smartphones have really killed any chance of that. The majority of mobile gamers in the US for example are women. 

http://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/arts-entertainment/article/1933985/why-mobile-gamers-are-mainly-women-while-most-pc-and

Nintendo should stick to the marketing they have now. Do not, do not, *do not* change that Nintendo. You are going to get yourselves into a shit-ton of trouble, this is how you need to market and how you should have been marketing the last 5 years. Forget kid marketing too, kids buy millions of Playstations and XBoxes without any specific marketing towards them. 

RolStoppable said:

Metroid has been a male-centric IP despite a female main character. Pandering to females is what put the IP on hold, because Other M turned out to be a disaster.

Your warped perspective of gaming makes it safe to say that you aren't representative of the average female gamer. The same perspective also explains the threads you made. "The opposite of a gamer is a feminist," a sentence that nobody here had heard of before. I suspect that somebody said that sentence to you somewhere else because of your attitude that comes across as elitism.

Nintendo does a better job than anyone else in the console business in appealing to females with their games, that's what the statistics show. That's not going to get negated because they don't appeal to you specifically.

Soundwave said

Women play tons of games -- on their phone. Let it be.

It's time hardcore gamers also humbled themselves and accepted smartphone gaming as an unmovable, central part of this industry.

Smartphone gaming does what it does, and it does it well, in many cases better than a console ever could for certain demographics.

The industry is doing great right now having content for all demographics, the regressive line of thinking is that those people all must purchase only one type of hardware, well not everyone has the same lifestyle or gaming needs, there's nothing wrong with smartphones servicing a certain portion of the market.

Mr. Miyamoto has even said his wife doesn't play Nintendo or console games -- the only games she plays are on the smartphone. If Miyamoto can't even get his wife to play Nintendo games over smartphone games, good luck to anyone else with that.

I apologize. You're definitely right when you say that my perspective isn't really in the mainstream and hasn't been for a long time. Maybe I am a little out of touch. I'm trying to learn my place here. I guess I talk too much.

I object to being called "elitist" though.

Soundwave said:

It's also a product of marketing. Look at Nintendo's marketing for Switch:

Also look at where Nintendo is marketing -- the NFL Superbowl, college basketball Final Four, before R-rated movies like Logan, getting someone like John Cena, etc. etc. etc. All this paid off big time for Nintendo. 

It makes a big difference when you don't market your product like a child's toy. 

Exactly. They recruiting Cenation!

Soundwave, do you have a Switch yet?

Personally I am torn n whether I buy one or wait for the inevitable upgraded to the newer Tegra chip. My only concern i how long do I have to wait for that to happen dammit lol.

Soundwave said:

Women play tons of games -- on their phone. Let it be

This is a gross overgeneralization. Many women play games on PC and handheld consoles. Simulation (The Sims), RPG games (Final Fantasy, Dragon Age), Adventure games (Zelda, Fable) are hugely populair with women. Big franchises like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings are also very populair with women. Even Assassins Creed's fanbase consists for about 25% of woman, I've read.

To think that women only like to play Angry Birds and Bejeweled would be a bit insulting (not that you're saying that, but it goes around).

Around the Network
Chrizum said:

To think that women only like to play Angry Birds and Bejeweled would be a bit insulting (not that you're saying that, but it goes around).

Yea they play Candy Crush also!

Dulfite said:
Soundwave said:

It's also a product of marketing. Look at Nintendo's marketing for Switch:

Also look at where Nintendo is marketing -- the NFL Superbowl, college basketball Final Four, before R-rated movies like Logan, getting someone like John Cena, etc. etc. etc. All this paid off big time for Nintendo. 

It makes a big difference when you don't market your product like a child's toy. 

Exactly. They recruiting Cenation!

Cenation is mostly little kids, though. I'd have to say most of the adults stopped liking him years ago, hence him always getting booed.  The whole "overcoming the odds" story got real old.  Especially when they're still playing that angle when he's taking on fat wrestlers and ones that are about a foot shorter than him.  Doesn't help when a wrestler starts getting popular and they have to shoehorn Cena in some way.  See CM Punk and Zack Ryder for examples.  They even saw the popularity of the Swagger vs Rusev angle and gave it to Cena.  It's strange how many times they have to push the so-called "Face of WWE."

Apologies if you are a more casual fan of wrestling.   Though, honestly, for the past few years I have been, too. Still watch the PPVs, but haven't watched RAW or Smackdown in some time.

Jaicee said:

I wish Nintendo (and everyone other than just Sony for that matter) would try appealing to women more often too. It seems like over the last year and a half especially, Nintendo has almost gone out of their way focus on pandering to male players, like with eliminating Samus Aran from Metroid: their only female-centric franchise. They had a back-up opportunity in that there proved to be large demand from female players (myself included) for making Link female in BoTW after the game's first trailer was released years in advance of the game itself. They had plenty of time to consider the option. But, using BS excuses like this one...

"You know there’s the idea of the Triforce in the Zelda games we make. The Triforce is made up of Princess Zelda, Ganon and Link. Princess Zelda is obviously female. If we made Link a female we thought that would mess with the balance of the Triforce. That’s why we decided not to do it." [Pro tip: two-thirds male, including the player character, is not "balance." ]

...they opted instead to make it another standard damsel in distress narrative. It's almost like they're going out of their way to drive away female players, like we don't even matter to them.

By contrast, you've seen Sony publish a fairly large number of female-centric titles of the same period, including all three (wow, what a huge number!) of the AAA ones I'm aware of that were/are slated for this year that I'm aware of. I mean I realize that it's always commercially safer to focus on your established market for a while initially and everything, but still it would be nice to know that one of the gaming hardware companies that's not Sony wanted my money and loyalty too. Nintendo used to care. A little. It's too bad they obviously don't anymore.

I don't agree with demands to conform and change pre-existing works in order to make one demographic happy.  That seems awfully selfish to me.  Should I be angry with Sony because I want to play a male character in the Horizon world?  Should I refuse to play games where a female player rescues a male player because it doesn't fit my perspective?

That being said, I think you should continue to tell game publishers what you like and want in terms of creative direction.  Tell them you want more female main characters and that you want different dynamics than the "damsel in distress" trope.  But demanding that creative properties that already exist need to pander to the least represented slice?  I don't like that.  It's not fair to the people who enjoy the work in its present form.  

Think of something you like a lot then imagine if the company that makes it said, "well, we're going to change it because this group over here is less represented than you and they want something else--sorry, but you're not as important because there are more of you than them."

So yet more evidence that that "women are 50% of all gamers" thing is basically nonsense.

I fucking apologized already people. Sorry. Could you fucking move on?

If it helps people move on, I promise (believe me, I PROMISE) never to bring up the subject of gender on this message board ever again. Can we now move on?