By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Rise and Fall of Command & Conquer

for rts fans the new total war looks good

Around the Network

It's EA's fault, but it's also the developers fault, that kept wanting to re-invent the wheel.

C&C3 didn't try to re-invent and was a sucessful sequal. But after tat they had a RA3 highly scripted with co-op shoehorned in. After that they tried to re-invent the genre again with C&C4 by removing bases.
The sad thing is, they didn't have to do any of those things. If they hadn't, they might've still had a job and C&C would still be around.

Chazore said:

Some footage from the cancelled C&C Generals 2 project.

yeah that look awesome its a shame that the game is cancelled

craighopkins said:
I would like a lord of the rings rts by ea

no you dont, ther are existing 2 and they are bad.....

if you want a lord of the rings rts buy medieval 2 total war + addon and install the "third age" mod

My favorite  c&c games red alert 1 + addon and generals

Sad. CnC was the Street Fighter of RTS games. Never was the same after CnC3. Thanks EA.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

What is the purpose of this comment?

I guess I'm not smart enough for RTS games

hmm..... xD

@ Azzanation

i buyed it (warhammer total war) but its not really good they cancelled a lot of tactical options the only good thing in this game are the warhammer units but rome2 or attila  or the legendary medieval 2 are much better.

for me after c&c died there are 4 more rts options

Total war series (without the warhammer part)

Company of heroes (1+2 but 1 is better)

anno series (they are all good)

and starcraft but its hardcore online if you dont play it on the esports way......

on xbox halo wars 2 is an option too but its rts light and only makes really fun with friends

Chazore said:
Mr Puggsly said:
I primarily played C&C games on console, especially on PS1. But their support on consoles was kinda random. I know playing these games on gamepads is lame, but it works fine when the game is tweaked for gamepads.

I really like C&C3 and RA3, but I never played C&C4 since it wasn't on a console and I didn't have a good PC.

I will probably try C&C4 soon, I have it on Origin.

They ahd to design a way for last gen to handle the 3D C&C games, as generals was PC only, RA3, C&C 3 and Kane's Wrath all used what EA donned the "command Wheel", which allowed you to hold down the right trigger and a large radia menu would pop up.

Despite having the wheel, the user was still limited to jumping into a menu from the circle and then selecting a building/unit, then placing it down. When you factor all that in, you've already wasted more time trying to get around the menu than simply pressing a hotbar key and clicking on the building/unit directly. C&C as all other RTS games (besides the Halo Wars, which was designed with Xbox first and PC last), are better played with the M+K setup.

I don't think you're missing much with C&C 4. It looks nice from an artistic perspective, but they did away with base building and they tried emulating Dawn of War's capture point style system for resources and a very restrictive unit cap, as well as a fancy light show display to let you know if the unit you're using is good agaisnt that other unit (pink laser means it's great, blue it's neutral).

M+K is definitely has huge advantages at AI and jumping around the map, but I just wanted to sit back play these games. Not lean into a monitor. So if the game was tweaked for a gamepad, its fine.

Its also worth noting the RA3 on 360 had a better interface than C&C3 on 360. I believe Halo Wars was inspired by RA3's gamepad controls.

I saw a review for C&C4 and its a very different style of game. Very odd they made that a sequel instead of a side game.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

M+K is definitely has huge advantages at AI and jumping around the map, but I just wanted to sit back play these games. Not lean into a monitor. So if the game was tweaked for a gamepad, its fine.

Its also worth noting the RA3 on 360 had a better interface than C&C3 on 360. I believe Halo Wars was inspired by RA3's gamepad controls.

I saw a review for C&C4 and its a very different style of game. Very odd they made that a sequel instead of a side game.

I'm not sure by the whole leaning thing. it's 2017, bot the mid 90's anymore, not unless all your furnature is from the 80's to late 90's. I have a tv near my monitor, so I can always hook that up via HDMI, but I hardly find myself leaning, more laid back with my M+K.

It was tweaked in a way, but it's not not all that rgeat for dealing with the AI on higher difficulties when they can control each unit individually , while you have to press and hold down the A button just to select a swath of units, then fiddle around if you want to deselect each one.

RA3 did, which is why I made mention of the command wheel, that eventually becmae 2.0 with RA3 as it was first seen in Kane's Wrath. You still have to press and hold down the A button in order to select all the units on screen though, rather than tapping one unit and hitting a single key for selecting all of one unit type, or a key for all units on the screen. 

Trust me, I've played all 3 versions over the years, you can get stomped by other players on all 3 versions of it, but with the command wheel, you're not going to do as well against the AI. Also the unit cap on the console version wasn't decent at the time. Dunno why EA thought it was a good diea to force a very tight unit cap on C&C 4, considering the PC ver of RA 3, C&C 3 and KW didn't require for one.

C&C 4 was supposed to be the closing chapter with Kane's story, but they managed to fuck that beyond all levels. I'm pretty sure Joe kucan won't be coming back, if at all, it's been nearly 7 years by now. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"