By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switches/handhelds in the wild?

Yeah, I see people play on their 3DS here. Though I haven't seen any Switches. I live in London, Ontario, Canada

Around the Network

Not sure if this counts as "in the wild", but I usually get hundreds of street passes any time I go to an anime or video game convention. Tons of people playing 3DS while waiting in line or waiting for panels to start and stuff.

For more "real world" examples,

I usually get a handful every time I go to Disneyland.

I usually get one or two at the airport.

Employees at the mom and pop game shop I go to usually have their handhelds on hand if it's not busy.

I've been on two planes since the Switch came out. Both times, I was the only person playing a Switch.

I've seen a couple on the train. Heaps of 3DS's still.

I'll whip mine out on the train home from work if I'm not too tired and I get a seat.

I have at airports, planes, office (over a lunch) and in my car (also during a lunch where I left office).

On my last trip to Disneyland (march), I saw two people playing in a line. Then my son and I looked at each other and wondered why we left ours at home. :(

Don't have a Switch, but I still bring my 3DS around and play it when I'm waiting or something

From Canada

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:

All of them have one thing in common which the Switch doesn't, damn names on the front, facing the user, it's great if you happen to forget the name of the system I guess... but if someone is watching you outside they don't know what you're holding unless they already know the device.... but Nintendo.

Evil bastards

Making us hold up their advertising for the world to see as we enjoy the machine, not a single Nintendo name or mention on the face of the console, it's all on the back for the world to see.

I doubt that many handheld gamers are holding the device in an angle that other people can read what is written on the back (unless these people are laying on the floor to look under skirts).

Mobile devices with a display (that includes smartphones, tablets, handhelds and compact cameras) are usually only in vertical position to take photos... without a camera that won't happen that often with a Switch.

And why are you assuming that "if someone is watching you outside they don't know what you're holding" if that device is in the right angle?

Conina said:
Ganoncrotch said:

All of them have one thing in common which the Switch doesn't, damn names on the front, facing the user, it's great if you happen to forget the name of the system I guess... but if someone is watching you outside they don't know what you're holding unless they already know the device.... but Nintendo.

Evil bastards

Making us hold up their advertising for the world to see as we enjoy the machine, not a single Nintendo name or mention on the face of the console, it's all on the back for the world to see.

I doubt that many handheld gamers are holding the device in an angle that other people can read what is written on the back (unless these people are laying on the floor to look under skirts).

Mobile devices with a display (that includes smartphones, tablets, handhelds and compact cameras) are usually only in vertical position to take photos... without a camera that won't happen that often with a Switch.

The cafe I go to has couches, super cosy lay back and enjoy the coffee and show off that Switch branding style couches.

But no... even sat at a table drinking, I'm always going to be holding the Switch at an angle that the rear of the machine is visible, Unless you are playing it effectively in your lap, I think I hold it around the 60-70 degrees mark to see the screen and at 6' 1" that logo is clear as day on the back of the machine.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I have not seen anyone using a handheld in the last 5+ years, I used to see people with PSP and DS on the regular, but now, pretty much everyone has moved on to smartphones.

For the last 5 years I have had my 3G Vita with me every day. I have played games at break and lunch the whole time, and pretty much any other down time for business trips, or waiting on jury duty, waiting at the dentist, so on and so forth. It was freaking awesome to have a device I could play console quality games on, while not having to carry along another device, because I could get calls, text, and emails, all via the one unit.

Going forward I will only be taking the Vita and my future Switch with me for trips, or when I know I will have a really long wait. Just don't have the room to carry a dedicated games console and a Phone. Hopefully in the future a Switch Phone or PS4 Phone will come and re-spark the mobile gaming industry. I know it is not popular on here, but it is big amoung the people I know. Even non gamers saw the Switch, and where asking if you could make calls and use apps on it. Once Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo step up and deliver a real gaming phone, their will be a large shift in the mobile gaming market. I expect that we will see handhelds, and people gaming on the go much much more once the always connected handhelds arrive.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

i play my switch and 3ds on the bus all the time, but i play my switch more docked

Nintendo Freind Code: SW-4075-9631-2912

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJXcqI8b10pET5-IuPz5cfw

axumblade said:

I havent seen anybody else in public with the Switch but in general, I take mine to Parks when I go for walks. Its generally relaxing and a good escape.

I live in Charleston SC

Had mine out at the coast a few times now and I have to say I feel spoiled playing the likes of Zelda outside in the open air, sure there are smart phone games which can look somewhat shiny but really... in terms of a complete game experience I'm not sure anything rivals BoTW and having it on a portable machine just blows me away.

2017 is a good time to be alive for lovers of gaming and technology.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive