By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you buy a Switch with 4G or GSM and how much more would you be willing to pay?

Would you like a Switch with Cel service?

Yes - multiplyer is a thing 23 20.72%

Nope 81 72.97%

See results 7 6.31%

Total:111
JRPGfan said:

From what I understand no.

People seem to enjoy single player games, you can easily enter and exit, because its suited for easy gameing on the go.

Theres a Arlo thread about it, and most people seem to agree.

Most people play connected games on their smartphones though. These are the games pushing the smartphone gaming industry towards 50 Billion a year. We need a handheld/phone hybrid on the market that can deliver quality games on the go versus the garbage people are playing on iOS and Android. There is currently no options on the market iPhone, Galaxy, LG G Series, Xperia's, ect. are all the same, we need Nintendo, or Sony, or Microsoft to step up and give us another take on the smartphone market. Switch is perfect for breaking the mold, and giving people a choice in the mobile market.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

Not worth it. Getting an extra SIM card is more hassle than sharing the connection from my phone. Also, such a Switch model would cost too much extra for me to be willing to buy it.

Nope, already have that base covered by my phone.

Yerm said:
4G costs money, so having a Switch with cellular wifi would just mean you need to pay 2 subscription services for 1 device.

besides, 4G still isnt that good, so online games would have even more lag.

Do you look at having to pay your internet bill, and your PSN/XBL sub as having 2 subs on one device? I really don't get where this is going?

I don't know where you live, but my 4G connection through AT&T in Washington State is great. I have used remote play on the Vita tethered through 4G on an Xperia with no issue, and I used one of my old Xperias to tether to my PS4 when the internet was down a few years ago, and the Ping on Rocket League was actually lower than it usually is with my direct connected Comcast.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Not really no. I've got a phone for my calls, messages and simple browsing, as well as a tablet. I prefer my dedicated devices for what they were designed for. I have a camera built into my phone, but it doesn't beat the quality of my dedicated camera.

I'd rather buy the Switch for dedicated gaming than i ever would for features that are the staple with mobile phones/tablets and PC's.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
d21lewis said:
I bought a 3G Vita on day one. That feature was used a grand total of zero times. I wouldn't personally use that feature on my Switch. I have a phone for that.

The idea is for the Switch to be able to replace your phone. Otherwise, there is really no reason to get a 4G Switch.

superchunk said:
Nope. Absolutely no need and wasted money spent.

Every smartphone in existence can be turned into a wifi hot-spot. This is by far the simplest and most cost-effective way to get the best possible mobile internet.

Most providers have greater restrictions on tethering, so that could be very expensive. Also, many business's do not allow you to have personal wifi hotspots active. 

On top of that, at least to me, the idea of a 4G Switch would be to replace the smartphone. I don't need two 4G devices on me, or on my bill, and I don't need two devices that can make/recieve calls and text and broswer the web. 

1. There is no way a game console can or should replace your phone. With 4G, switch definitely would not do that, even if it did have full app support.

2. In US, most businesses offer free wifi and that list continues to grow. Also, the competition between the 4 big wireless providers is such that tethering / data usage is basically becoming a utility where you pay for XGB and it doesn't matter how you use that up. Combining those two factors makes your hotspotted phone the best option easily. After all, even with 4G in the Switch, you still have to pay for the data, so the cost is a nonFactor in this discussion.

No, my main source of internet is a mobile Sprint unlimited plan that I pay $70/month for. I use about 60-80 Gb/month with it, and have done so for the last two and a half years. I have no need for another 4G service, and in fact can play online with my Switch anywhere I want, because of wifi-tethering.

Have a 3G vita, never used that so.. I voted no because I wouldn't use it on the bigger handheld either, no need for it.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Captain_Yuri said:

Nope cause the added functionality would be useless to me. Mobile Data comes at a premium in Canada charging $40-$60 for 1gb. So... Nope. And that is not even getting into the latency and reception issues.

jesus if that price is correct thats insane for mobile data there 

No, never used the 3G on my Vita either.