By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you buy a Switch with 4G or GSM and how much more would you be willing to pay?

Would you like a Switch with Cel service?

Yes - multiplyer is a thing 23 20.72%

Nope 81 72.97%

See results 7 6.31%

Total:111

Sure, if it was the same price.

I dont really need it though, since I could always use my phone as a hotspot if I really wanted to...

Around the Network
KBG29 said:

It is vital to the future of gaming that both Handhelds and Consoles, continue to grow, and keep up with the rest of the industry. If these devices do not keep up, we will all be stuck gaming on Apple TV, Amazon Fire, PC, Smartphones, and Tablets. That is a future I do not want to see. I want the hardware and OSs in the hands of companies that put gaming first. 

Ouch.

I don't see why it's wrong for the other markets to advance and adhere to what the people want. I mean more and more people are investing in those markets and have done for years, so it makes sense for them to advance and grow bigger than the ones that don't grow.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
KBG29 said:

It is vital to the future of gaming that both Handhelds and Consoles, continue to grow, and keep up with the rest of the industry. If these devices do not keep up, we will all be stuck gaming on Apple TV, Amazon Fire, PC, Smartphones, and Tablets. That is a future I do not want to see. I want the hardware and OSs in the hands of companies that put gaming first. 

Ouch.

I don't see why it's wrong for the other markets to advance and adhere to what the people want. I mean more and more people are investing in those markets and have done for years, so it makes sense for them to advance and grow bigger than the ones that don't grow.

I know, just like you are not hot on the idea of a future where consoles and handhelds are the only option, I am not hot on the above devices being the only option. More frm factors, and more competitors is good for the market. Even if I would prefer to stick to one, the idea, that it would be the only one is not exciting. We have yo have competition to keep people and companies honest.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

RedKingXIII said:
d21lewis said:
Even if the Switch had 4g, it couldn't replace my phone. Camera, gps, apps on apps on apps, music, video, books, etc--there Switch couldn't compete. But then, I don't want it to. It's good at playing console quality games on the go (and at home). For me, that's enough.

Even if the Switch had all of this it still could not replace my phone. It's too big.

With no Joycons it's maybe an inch bigger than my phone. But yeah, I wouldn't put it in my pocket, anyway.

KBG29 said:

I know, just like you are not hot on the idea of a future where consoles and handhelds are the only option, I am not hot on the above devices being the only option. More frm factors, and more competitors is good for the market. Even if I would prefer to stick to one, the idea, that it would be the only one is not exciting. We have yo have competition to keep people and companies honest.

But that won't be the future though, ebcause the other markets have already grown beyond the handheld and console markets respetively, thus said future isn't bound to happen.

I don't like that future because I've seen how limited it is. Having some space age all in one magic device isn't the best thing in the universe. The jack of all trades type of devices end up being beaten out by the dedicated ones, otherwise there would never be a dedicated device anymore if jack of all trade oens were somehow "superior".

I don't see why it's bad for PC's to exist, I mean they are the reason we have anything these days, from maintaining power, calculations, making movies, games etc. it's a platform that gives, rather than a dedicated one that just takes.

I think we have enough competition as is and we all stick to one ecosystem or two anyway. I think what you want is someone to keep your fave player in top shape, rather than having to choose another player and leaving your current one.

Also keeping them honest?, I don't think I've seen companies staying honest for more than a few years, not their entire lifetimes though.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
Nuvendil said:

I don't find what you propose evil. I find it a colosal waste of time and resources.  Rather than developing a call and text app and spending money and time negotiating with Verizon or T-Mobile or whatever, I would rather they keep their efforts laser focused on a game-centric experience.  The proposed functions are readily available in countless devices you can get for zero dollars up front, they are completely superfluous and would not influence sales a bit.  More is not always a plus, sometimes it's just fluff.  Nintendo has publishers and developers to negotiate with, an e-shop to improve, numerous quality of life improvements to make to the OS.  These are far more important to their success than 4G functions and a call and text app.  Doesn't help btw that the Switch doesn't support Bluetooth headsets and therefore you would have to use a wired headset to even make calls.  

Captain_Yuri said:

In addition to that, apps and features such as that require reserved resources such as CPU and Ram for the device. More features you add in, the less avaliable resources the devs have to build games. Now for most people, normal calling and texting is generally not enough, they want skype, whatsapp, facebook, hangouts, snapchat and etc apps which all need to run in the background. And of course, if you have social media, you need a camera function cause most people want to take pictures of everything. Phones can do that easily because phone's aren't dedicated gaming devices so there is no resource allocation required apart from the system OS but with dedicated gaming devices, there has to be resource allocation in order for the developers to know how much they can use so they can make the most out of it.

Having basic calling and texting would only satisfy a minority of people while the rest who want all these social media as well as many other kinds of apps will always get a phone. It certainly isn't worth it for Nintendo to get all the licensing rights and what not just so a few people can have functionlity that majorty use other devices for anyway. Most people don't know this but the game of LTE functionailty isn't as simple as asking Nvidia to put in an LTE chip inside and making it work. There are many kinds of LTE such as GSM and CDMA. The patents for CDMA is held by Qualcomm in the states and that is a far different chip than anything that Nvidia has. So in order for them to work, it will have added costs and there are many other issues too such as battery life.

As technology advances these things become easier and cheaper. Handhelds have to evolve or they will become obsolete, and we will loose the option to even have mobile gaming form factor devices. If the Handheld market does not evolve the only option for mobile games will be Smartphones, which as mentioned are not built with games in mind. Right now, it may not look like their is a market for a well made gaming phone, but no one has ever tried to make it happen. If Switch had a 4G option, and could make calls and text, it would turn the mobile industry upside down. The inital costs and negotionations, would be well worth it in the long run. 

No, just no.  There's not some oversight commity that deems a thing obsolete and orders its blight wiped from existence.  Products exist so long as a market for them exists.  People who want a dedicated gaming handheld device because they are disatisfied with the mobile gaming experience aren't going to switch to that experience because of dedicated handhelds lacking the feature set of mobile devices.  Unless mobile starts offering the handheld experience with integrated or included physical inputs, premium game market instead of freemium, higher end experiences, etc, it will not wipe them out from the market because why would I switch to the very thing I bought a handheld to avoid?  And mobile will never do that because the core gaming experience is a hobby enjoyed by a fraction of the market that mobile is reaching out to.  The majority of people shopping for a smartphone would be unhappy about a $100+ increase in costs for the sake of core gaming features because they don't care about those things.  And because the whole smartphone industry is built on massive sales and not smaller ones, such a thing would be catastrophic.  And the Switch can't evangelize those people via adding smart phone features because 95% of people in the market for a smartphone wouldn't care about all the bells and whistles.  So your concerns are, imo, unfounded in most regards.  That's not how products and markets work.

Also, there have been attempts at bringing the core gaming experience to phones.  Not only have they never succeeded, they've never even generated significant interest.

Nuvendil said:

No, just no.  There's not some oversight commity that deems a thing obsolete and orders its blight wiped from existence.  Products exist so long as a market for them exists.  People who want a dedicated gaming handheld device because they are disatisfied with the mobile gaming experience aren't going to switch to that experience because of dedicated handhelds lacking the feature set of mobile devices.  Unless mobile starts offering the handheld experience with integrated or included physical inputs, premium game market instead of freemium, higher end experiences, etc, it will not wipe them out from the market because why would I switch to the very thing I bought a handheld to avoid?  And mobile will never do that because the core gaming experience is a hobby enjoyed by a fraction of the market that mobile is reaching out to.  The majority of people shopping for a smartphone would be unhappy about a $100+ increase in costs for the sake of core gaming features because they don't care about those things.  And because the whole smartphone industry is built on massive sales and not smaller ones, such a thing would be catastrophic.  And the Switch can't evangelize those people via adding smart phone features because 95% of people in the market for a smartphone wouldn't care about all the bells and whistles.  So your concerns are, imo, unfounded in most regards.  That's not how products and markets work.

Also, there have been attempts at bringing the core gaming experience to phones.  Not only have they never succeeded, they've never even generated significant interest.

The thing is, if they make a 4G Switch, it doesn't have to be the only option. A 4G Switch can easily be an option along side a wifi only model. It would be the less popular version, but it would be an option and grow the userbase non  the less.

Just like if Apple made an iPhone G, it would not replace the entire line. Remeber the iPhone is basically a Mobile Network Enabled iPod that has evolved over the years. There would be absolutely nothing wrong with Apple making a gaming version of the iPhone that they only update every 3 years. They could only increase sales by offering a new form factor, and if they offered multiplatform games from the Switch, it would be very desirable, if only to say 10 or 15 Million people a year. 

Regarding your last comment, besides the N-Gage, what appempts have been made to offer a phone that delivers a core gaming experience? It sure as hell wasn't the Xperia Play, because it never received a single game, and had no connection to PlayStation Network. I had both the N-Gage and the Xperia Play, and they were the biggest jokes the mobile industry has ever seen. The N-Gage was actually a serious attempt, but it was extreamly poorly exicuted. The Xperia Play was basically like someone having an agenda, going yeah, you can do it, but you have to adhear to these impossible rules, which of course make it impossible to succeed. 

There is no reason that their should not be a core gaming device option within the ecosystem of at least one company. It could be Apple, it could be Nintendo, or Sony, or Samsung. There is plenty of room in the market for at least one serious gaming Phone.

Finally, of course there is no commity that deems things irrelevant or obsolete. That role is held by the consumer, and with the drop in sales from PSP/DS to PSV/3DS it is quite obvious that the desire for a non connected, dedicated mobile gaming device is rapidly falling. If Switch is the only option, and it never recieves broader functionallity, then that fall will continue at a similar rate. Eventually, it will reach a point when core mobile gaming is no longer a viable business, and it won't be for the lack of desire for core mobile games, it will be for the lack of worth while hardware that supports core mobile gaming.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

d21lewis said:
RedKingXIII said:

Even if the Switch had all of this it still could not replace my phone. It's too big.

With no Joycons it's maybe an inch bigger than my phone. But yeah, I wouldn't put it in my pocket, anyway.

The current Switch is too big for even me. If they did this it would have to be on a Switch light that cuts it down to at least the size of the OG PS Vita, or even better the size of the PSV 2000. 

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Chazore said:

But that won't be the future though, ebcause the other markets have already grown beyond the handheld and console markets respetively, thus said future isn't bound to happen.

I don't like that future because I've seen how limited it is. Having some space age all in one magic device isn't the best thing in the universe. The jack of all trades type of devices end up being beaten out by the dedicated ones, otherwise there would never be a dedicated device anymore if jack of all trade oens were somehow "superior".

I don't see why it's bad for PC's to exist, I mean they are the reason we have anything these days, from maintaining power, calculations, making movies, games etc. it's a platform that gives, rather than a dedicated one that just takes.

I think we have enough competition as is and we all stick to one ecosystem or two anyway. I think what you want is someone to keep your fave player in top shape, rather than having to choose another player and leaving your current one.

Also keeping them honest?, I don't think I've seen companies staying honest for more than a few years, not their entire lifetimes though.

Obviously a mass market Jack of all trades device will never stand up to a multi-thousand dollar dedicated devices for a specific task. The idea is that the joat device handles the common functions well enough that only the core enthusiasts need one of the dedicated devices. Currently, we don't even have a joat mobile gaming device, which I would be more than happy with. 

I have nothing against PCs exsisting, I actually think PCs are great. They are needed to help drive technology forward, and offer otherwise unobtainable amounts of resources. I just think that the low end over priced PC is bad for the market in this day and age, but that is just my opinion.

As far as competition goes, I think their really is no competition right now. Microsoft owns the PC space, and Google owns the mobile market. No matter what PC you buy it is the same thing, and no matter what Smartphone you buy, it is the same thing. iOS and Android are two sides of the same coin, they offer absolutely nothing unique. 

Finally, yes, of course I want Sony to be in a viable position in the market. They don't have to be number one, I just want to be able stay within a single unified ecosystem. At the end of the day though, I would be happy to just have an option outside of the touch based garbage form factor, that actually delivers full versions of NBA 2K, Call of Duty, Madden, GTA, Far Cry, and such. I would dive in 100% to whoever can offer that option as part of their ecosystem.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL