By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
madskillz said:
Legend11 said:
Is anyone else getting really sick of the RROD threads?

It's just another excuse for folks who really want a 360 but are terrified to get one. All of a sudden, reliability is at the forefront of buying a console. Pfft ... if that were the case, the Xbox and GC would have won last gen. Sure, it happens - but it's really, really exaggerated and PS3 worshippers will gladly throw that up like baby formula.

I had to send my 360 back before but I think my son running past it, snagging a cord and pulling it down off the shelf had a lot to do with it.

After some careful thought, if a gamer is really worried about buying a console and playing in fear, they are better off spending $399 or $499 buying a console that rocks as an HD movie player and having a peace of mind that one day there will be enough excellent quality games for it to justify its price tag.

Well, it may not have been in the forefront of your mind when buying your console, but it was in mine when buying mine. After much deliberation, my wife and I went for the PS3 over the 360, and reliability was a primary reason for this. The extra features have been really cool for the kids (as well as the games), so we're pleased with our purchase, and it has become a central part of our family life. Sure, many won't care for reliability issues when buying a console, primarily as most people are ignorant of them, but for those that do know, it is often an issue; at least, if I am to use myself as a guide -- and who else can I use? -- that would seem to be the case.

So, for me, not really, really exaggerated at all; however, it may be for you.

Around the Network

rrod is bullshit. i dont see the logic in paying hundreds of dollars for a console and being afraid every time i turn it on.

@ madskillz

Pointing at a debaters spelling errors is the last resort of a failed argument.

TRM is right. You sound rather bitter.

DMeisterJ said:
@ madskillz

I feel the warmth of your posts again, DMJ - you musta really missed me, boo.

OT - It's a simple question - if the PS3 had RROD, would you (and others) still buy one? The answer? Yeah. 

I don't get the 1st statement.

@ the question

That's purely speculation. No one knows the answer, and it can't be proven.

Your argument has no foundation, and therefore falling apart.

Around the Network
JPSandhu said:
is the RRoD thing fixed in newer consoles, iv been looking at some of the newer threads and the 360 guys are saying its fixed in newer consoles but the ps3 guys are in denial or whatever saying its not. so what is it fixed or not fixed

I read around that the problem is not completely fixed, but greatly reduced.

This is quite plausible,  CPU and GPU process shrinking, mobo and heatsink redesign must have done great things, but there are still two problems, a small, cramped case with small fans, these can account for the failure rate still slightly higher than normal (for this kind of product), as they still could in some conditions let overheating happen.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

madskillz said:
DMeisterJ said:
@ madskillz

I feel the warmth of your posts again, DMJ - you musta really missed me, boo.

OT - It's a simple question - if the PS3 had RROD, would you (and others) still buy one? The answer? Yeah.

No, the answer is no, for me at least. I bought the PS3 for many reasons: one of which was reliability, another was the games, and another was the multi-media options (and there were a bunch of minor reasons, like the look and low noise, etc, but these were far less important). However, given that many of the games I wanted were also on 360 -- and some of the multi-media options were there as well -- if the 360 had been reliable, I'd have not chosen the PS3; especially as I have friends and family with 360s.

However, that is all irrelevant, as it isn't the case. Sony made a quality product, Microsoft did not. So, personally, it was the PS3 for me.

I don't know.. But so far so good. It hasn't died on me yet. It's 5 mos. old and my friend's Halo 3 Edtion hasn't died yet so I guess they may have done something. My worse was my past 360 died after 2 mos.

madskillz said:
Quartz said:
Problem still not solved as far as I'm aware. My brother had his replaced as the motherboard overheated and all the did was put a second fan in...

I am sorry to hear that ... and Montana's just gave up the ghost. However, I do believe most folks abuse their 360s a lot too. I have only had to send two consoles back to manufacturers due to hardware problems - a PS2 and a 360.

Seriously, can we have a show of hands of how many gamers have seen the RROD personally? I am not talking about hearing stories, I'm talking about actually seeing a console dead and flashing with their own two eyes? 

Yep I was there when it died. I was playing Dynasty Warriors 5 in two player mode with my brother.  The 360 began to make what sounded like a scratching the disk noise at first then followed by slower loading until it would not read the disk, finally after re-starting the system(after resting in for 5 minutes wondering if it was over heating-although it was NOT in a confined space OR a warm room) the 3 red lights flicked on during start-up.  At first it was believed that the joypads had been unplugged, but it didn't take long to realise that the system was un-responsive. 

That was the first system (before Microsoft introduced the repair/replace plan) my brother was in a panic that even though he had the recipt and sales cover - he was scared that the system would not be replaced as it burnt out in the space of 3 months, faster than any other system he had owned.

Second system also failed but was replaced under Policy.  Now on third system with 'second fan' which seems fine after 3 months so far.

So to answer the question 'RROD Personally'?

Yes (I was the one who played it and had to carry it back to the store).

*Yeah, might as well back on a RROD sticky, plenty of bloody threads about it.

Good to see this site is still going