By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 2017 French Election (Macron Wins 66%)

Who do you think will be the next President of France?

Macron 167 69.87%

Le Pen 72 30.13%

Total:239
Flilix said:
barneystinson69 said:

Lol. Europe's Muslim population has increase from 4% to 6.5% since 1990. Compare Islamic terror between the two time spans in Europe please

Even if there were 20% Muslims in Europe in 1990, there still wouldn't have been any terrorist attacks, since it wasn't a thing back then.

How can you say that for certain? Keep in mind Europe has Muslim populations in the Balkans and turkey. The uptick comes mostly from immigration.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:
Flilix said:

Even if there were 20% Muslims in Europe in 1990, there still wouldn't have been any terrorist attacks, since it wasn't a thing back then.

How can you say that for certain? Keep in mind Europe has Muslim populations in the Balkans and turkey. The uptick comes mostly from immigration.

The uptick came from ISIS, as they gave the extremist ideology some (false) legitamacy, an official "state" giving out "missions" in their holy "war".

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

barneystinson69 said:
Flilix said:

The point of terrorism is to spread fear. The terrorists won't win if they kill every single one of us, they will win if we vote for extreme parties that will destabilise our countries.

Palou is right, we react in an exaggerated way to everything terrorism-related.
A few months ago, there was a school shooting in the south of France. Nobody was dead, but it was a pretty big deal, since people thought it was a terrorist attack. However, it turned out to be an ordinary fight, so everyone forgot about it.

Public fear will be around whether or not the media reports it. The Internet is here now, and people will be in fear if these events happen. Maybe we should look into the underlying reasons for radicalization, versus simply covering terrorism up. Too much immigration, not enough integration.

A lot of European terrorists are actually quite integrated. Some of them are even born here. There are even Western people who radicalize and support ISIS.

The underlying reasons are often personal problems. For instance, one of the Brussels terrorists wrote a note on which he said something like "I'm doing this because it's my only option. I don't want to go back to jail".

palou said:
barneystinson69 said:

No, they aren't. We should sit around and do nothing, that will solve the issue...

Or you could use the ressources on a real issues instead of chasing a few dozen violent attention whores.

Statistically, terrorism just ISN'T a major issue in Europe. Less than 1% of murder committed, and less than 0.1% of violent death.

"Buh dem refugees cause everything bad! That's what Infowars told me"

Flilix said:
barneystinson69 said:

Public fear will be around whether or not the media reports it. The Internet is here now, and people will be in fear if these events happen. Maybe we should look into the underlying reasons for radicalization, versus simply covering terrorism up. Too much immigration, not enough integration.

A lot of European terrorists are actually quite integrated. Some of them are even born here. There are even Western people who radicalize and support ISIS.

The underlying reasons are often personal problems. For instance, one of the Brussels terrorists wrote a note on which he said something like "I'm doing this because it's my only option. I don't want to go back to jail".

So they're integrated, yet kill Europeans for their religion. Those two statements contradict each other.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
monocle_layton said:
palou said:

Or you could use the ressources on a real issues instead of chasing a few dozen violent attention whores.

Statistically, terrorism just ISN'T a major issue in Europe. Less than 1% of murder committed, and less than 0.1% of violent death.

"Buh dem refugees cause everything bad! That's what Infowars told me"

We weren't debating about refugees...

barneystinson69 said:
Flilix said:

So they're integrated, yet kill Europeans for their religion. Those two statements contradict each other.

You were implying that all terrorists are refugees who never got integrated, which is not the case.

Flilix said:
barneystinson69 said:

That's not being integrated into that society. They're not trying to emulate the native population for the most part. Adopting their values, speaking the native language, living amoungst the native population (not in clusters of similar people), trying to blend in that society. 

barneystinson69 said:
palou said:

Terrorist is pretty much by definition violent attention whore (trying to get people to notice your issue with violence.) What I always hated is that people GIVE them what they want (talking about them), which is why I brought it up. A great way to stop future terrorism is just not covering them for a week on all channels like it's the only bad thing we see in the country. Terrorists can often be traced back to have found inspiration on previous events, through social media.

Terrorists kill for their ideology! Terrorists don't give a fuck if they are on tv, as they will be dead! I mean should events like Nice and Paris be swept under the rug? 150 people dead, but who cares? We don't want to possibly inspire radicalization, so we won't speak. I'm almost laughing, because what you are saying is just the wrong thing to do!

It's rather hypocritical how you say we should 'stand up' against terrorists, and yet the Paris attack wasn't even the worst (or one of the worst) attacks to occur during that year. Giving the events a months worth of coverage along with social media spotlight does nothing but give these people the spotlight they deserve. I've visited enough extremists to know that they take advantage of these attacks to lure people in. 

Also, if so many people are scared about these types of attacks, why was there no outrage over the attack in Qaim where ISIS soldiers killed 300 civilians (twice as much as the Paris attack)? We are picking and choosing when to cry just to fit our agenda. 

Flilix said:
barneystinson69 said:

You were implying that all terrorists are refugees who never got integrated, which is not the case.

I never stated that. I'm saying that immigrants are having trouble integrating into Europe. Refugees aren't immigrants, and I never said all.