By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 2017 French Election (Macron Wins 66%)

Who do you think will be the next President of France?

Macron 167 69.87%

Le Pen 72 30.13%

Total:239

"as more Muslims move into the west, you will see more radicalized as well."

I think that as more Muslims move into the west, barneystinson gets more radicalized.

Around the Network
morenoingrato said:

I think that as more Muslims move into the west, barneystinson gets more radicalized.

Lol. Europe's Muslim population has increase from 4% to 6.5% since 1990. Compare Islamic terror between the two time spans in Europe please

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Edit: Oops. My internet is trash.

barneystinson69 said:
palou said:

Terrorist is pretty much by definition violent attention whore (trying to get people to notice your issue with violence.) What I always hated is that people GIVE them what they want (talking about them), which is why I brought it up. A great way to stop future terrorism is just not covering them for a week on all channels like it's the only bad thing we see in the country. Terrorists can often be traced back to have found inspiration on previous events, through social media.

Terrorists kill for their ideology! Terrorists don't give a fuck if they are on tv, as they will be dead! I mean should events like Nice and Paris be swept under the rug? 150 people dead, but who cares? We don't want to possibly inspire radicalization, so we won't speak. I'm almost laughing, because what you are saying is just the wrong thing to do!

The point of terrorism is to spread fear. The terrorists won't win if they kill every single one of us, they will win if we vote for extreme parties that will destabilise our countries.

Palou is right, we react in an exaggerated way to everything terrorism-related.
A few months ago, there was a school shooting in the south of France. Nobody was dead, but it was a pretty big deal, since people thought it was a terrorist attack. However, it turned out to be an ordinary fight, so everyone forgot about it.

palou said:
barneystinson69 said:

I'm just saying. Terrorism will be normalized in the west very soon. Minor or not, as more Muslims move into the west, you will see more radicalized as well. I just hope people don't allow this to happen...

Through the whole refugee crisis, the muslim population in Europe went from 5% to 6%. It's currently staling (people leaving and entering are now approximately the same.)

Saying that terrorism will be normalized soon (whatever that means, 5 people killed each week? still not a major issue for a population of 300 000 000) is still pure extrapolation, isn't founded on any sound reasoning. 

In one year? Well of course it seems small first, but look to the next 30 years, 50 years, even more. What happens when Europe is 10% Muslim in 2050. 25% in 2100? Will they integrate, or will the trend continue?

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network

The euro has hit a five month high, as the early polling figures from France reassure the financial markets.

The single currency jumped almost 2% when trading began in Asia, surging over $1.091. It also rallied 1.5% against the British pound to around 85p. Investors had been nervous that Emmanuel Macron might fail to reach the run-off, as he’s seen as the candidate best equipped to prevent Marine Le Pen winning the presidency.

barneystinson69 said:
palou said:

Terrorist is pretty much by definition violent attention whore (trying to get people to notice your issue with violence.) What I always hated is that people GIVE them what they want (talking about them), which is why I brought it up. A great way to stop future terrorism is just not covering them for a week on all channels like it's the only bad thing we see in the country. Terrorists can often be traced back to have found inspiration on previous events, through social media.

Terrorists kill for their ideology! Terrorists don't give a fuck if they are on tv, as they will be dead! I mean should events like Nice and Paris be swept under the rug? 150 people dead, but who cares? We don't want to possibly inspire radicalization, so we won't speak. I'm almost laughing, because what you are saying is just the wrong thing to do!

These events are instigated by organizations like ISIS. The goal of these missions is to spread fear, and show might to gain new recruits. They want the attention. That's a fact.

Just a few stats: 30 000 children die of preventable diseases, each day. 

More people die from indirect smoking, each year, than all terrorist attacks since 2000. 100 000 kids (under 16) get sent to hospitals each year for lung infections caused by indirectly inhaling smoke.

Thousands of american children are raped each year. Not by strangers, or priests, but almost exclusively by their parents, close family or friends.

35 000 people die in car crashes in the US alone, each year. Worldwide, it's 1.25 million people.

And of course, cancer far outshines all these issues.

Are any of these less tragic for those involved? Of course not. Seeing someone close die hurts, no matter how that person died. But we don't hear about that on the news. Why should we hear about the 300 people a year (if it's particularly bad) that get shot by some fanatic?

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Flilix said:
barneystinson69 said:

The point of terrorism is to spread fear. The terrorists won't win if they kill every single one of us, they will win if we vote for extreme parties that will destabilise our countries.

Palou is right, we react in an exaggerated way to everything terrorism-related.
A few months ago, there was a school shooting in the south of France. Nobody was dead, but it was a pretty big deal, since people thought it was a terrorist attack. However, it turned out to be an ordinary fight, so everyone forgot about it.

Public fear will be around whether or not the media reports it. The Internet is here now, and people will be in fear if these events happen. Maybe we should look into the underlying reasons for radicalization, versus simply covering terrorism up. Too much immigration, not enough integration.

barneystinson69 said:
morenoingrato said:

Lol. Europe's Muslim population has increase from 4% to 6.5% since 1990. Compare Islamic terror between the two time spans in Europe please

Even if there were 20% Muslims in Europe in 1990, there still wouldn't have been any terrorist attacks, since it wasn't a thing back then.

barneystinson69 said:
palou said:

Probably alluding to the fact that terrorism consists of a minimal fraction (1%, at most) of murder committed in the West. 

And keeping in mind the fact Islamic terror didn't exist at all 20 years ago in the west, yet is now a monthly occurance. People just brushing it and pretending is not an issue will only make things worse...

In the west, I think it was a monthly occurance 10 years ago. I think it's more like a weekly occurance nowadays or, at best every other week occurance. Of course, that's just counting the west (i.e. not ME, Africa, Asia, etc) and some attacks are way more devastating than others.