By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Predict Switch's First Year Sales

14,7 million.

Around the Network
LimaBean01 said:
Amazing to think some of us were predicting 8-9 million, it’s about 3 weeks away from 8m already!
And if they meet their forecast + 2.7m sold launch month, it would be 16.7 million first year which is astounding (I don’t think it will quite reach that though).

Actually, we are well past 8m right now. Those numbers (7.6m) are as of September 30th. Since it's been selling 800k per month on average, and Super Mario Odyssey just released, I'd say it's actually closer to 9m than 8m right now. xD

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Hmm seems my prediction of 10-12m ended up being conservative for 12 months it may hit that before the end of this year as by now 7 months in the NS is heading towards 9m or has already passed it with SMO's release.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
MarkkyStorm said:
Without Pokemon:

Between PSP and DS (8-9 millions).

Without Pokemon, but with price drop for holidays:

Between DS and PS4 (10-12 millions).

With Pokemon out this holiday:

More than PS4 (15 millions)

Seems like it doesn't need either to achieve that number

Helloplite said:

I can only present a low-case, expected, and high-case scenario:

Low case: Switch fails to turn up at E3, with few third-parties actually on board with anything of substance. Rumours about how third-parties did not expect the initial buzz go around, but ultimately third parties decide to treat the Switch just like the Wii -- resulting in low-quality past-gen ports, quick mini-game and handheld-focused simple projects. Mario Odyssey is delayed to 2018 "to ensure optimal quality". Without a big new exclusive, Switch loses steam as people remember the sting of Wii's final 3 years. Sales drop to levels similar to Wii U's first year.

Sales: 8.7 million

Normal case: Good software line-up based on exclusives by both Nintendo and its second parties as well as select third parties. A low number of high quality 3D ports from current-gen consoles. A number of good ports from old-gen systems (both by Nintendo as well as by third/second parties). The system retains its current cult status into the winter, and is further boosted by the excellent Mario Odyssey. The system remains in relative scarcity during the whole year, and stocks are never in full availability.

Sales: 12.8 million

Best case: An excellent demonstration of support by third parties, alongside meaningful Nintendo first and second party games shows strong intent to keep the Switch focused on 'quality games', rather than quick cash-grabs. Mario Odyssey goes on to exceed Breath of the Wild in review rankings, and sells very strongly during December, raising the system's appeal. The system is very hard to find throughout the year.

Sales: 14.3 million

Best case is spot on what is happening right now

Yeah, I was totally convinced that $299 was too much expensive and that would hold the sales back. I was SO wrong.

16.5m

Around the Network

I am going to say 15 million sold-through by March 3rd 2018.

Now, if Nintendo ups shipments yet again during its next fiscal quarter report I will have to revise, but I have no solid indication that they will as of now.

Either way, 15 million would be the new world record for a console's first 12 months.

:)

Jranation said:

Before any e3 game announcement......

I would say 10mil!

There goes my prediction.... lol

Pocky Lover Boy! 

I still hold to my 15.5M, although it looks like I'm going to be under.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I said 13 before and with that, I was in the more optimistic group. Now I'll say 16.5 Million, let's see if I will still be under

It looks like Switch can outship Wii U in under 1 year, Gamecube in 1.5 years and N64 in 2 years.

March 2017, 2.74m
June 2017, 4.70m
Sept 2017, 7.63m
Dec 2017, 14m (pass Wii U)
March 2018, 16.74m
June 2018-19m
Sept 2018-22m (pass GC)
Dec 2018-30m
March 2019-33m (pass N64)

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.