By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony going third party is an excellent idea for gamers.

Tagged games:

Do you agree?

Yes, I find it reasonable. 186 37.73%

No, I find it is a stupid idea. 307 62.27%

Total:493
estebxx said:
LivingMetal said:

Well its obviously a Joke thread, that will turn into a shitstorm (if it hasnt already...).

Well, the mods re-opened the thread on the condition that it doesn't turn into a shitstorm, so as long as it doesn't turn into that we're fine!

Around the Network
etking said:

No they make the best consoles, PS4 and PS4 Pro are unrivaled in value for money, it is impossible to get a PC with comparable specs at such a low price point. But Nintendo should buy them and let them create their hardware so they are not two generations behind all the time.

Actually did a quick Google search and found this.

https://youtu.be/5yJUNyOS95o

And yeah Sony makes great consoles but a consoles greatness is determined by games so they can still make great games on PC.

VGPolyglot said:

Doesn't PC gaming require upgrades too? It's just that the pieces are bought in a staggered way instead of at once like a console.

And some of those pieces can be more expensive than the console itself... my freaking graphics card was more expensive than my PS4.

etking said:

No they make the best consoles, PS4 and PS4 Pro are unrivaled in value for money, it is impossible to get a PC with comparable specs at such a low price point. But Nintendo should buy them and let them create their hardware so they are not two generations behind all the time.

First part of your post is a very good point, sadly you finished with an edgy console war phrase.

Just bought a PS4 slim with Uncharted 4 for 250$, can't build a PC with that amount of cash.

Sony is great for people who want to play multiplats plus exclusives at a low price entry, they always have the best bang for buck ratio.

Also PC isn't really an option for us physical collectors.

Barkley said:

No because Sony make the best hardware, and I like to play on consoles. Nintendo make the worst hardware imo, so them going third party is an excellent idea for gamers.

Not for a person like me who prefers handhelds, and Nintendo's makes the best hardware in that case, and has proven to be the only one who can be successful in that market.

Around the Network
Green098 said:
Barkley said:

No because Sony make the best hardware, and I like to play on consoles. Nintendo make the worst hardware imo, so them going third party is an excellent idea for gamers.

Not for a person like me who prefers handhelds, and Nintendo's makes the best hardware in that case, and has proven to be the only one who can be successful in that market.

Yup, the "excellent idea for gamers" was just a stupid statement mirroring the one in the OP not what I actually believe. It would be good for me personally, but good for gamers in general? That's not something I'd say.

Certainly not good for portable gamers.

I disagree, nothing can really be argued there.

Valdath said:
etking said:

First part of your post is a very good point, sadly you finished with an edgy console war phrase.

Just bought a PS4 slim with Uncharted 4 for 250$, can't build a PC with that amount of cash.

Sony is great for people who want to play multiplats plus exclusives at a low price entry, they always have the best bang for buck ratio.

Also PC isn't really an option for us physical collectors.

I used to think like this but considering that so many games have day-one patches now and I don't trade in my games, physical versions hardly have any value to me anymore.

Also, Sony makes so much money from 3rd party software sales, they'd lose all of that going third-party.

Bandorr said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Huh? If all games were on PC, wouldn't that result in even more competition...? Cause now there are even more games to choose from in a platform which already has tons of games being released daily. And steam (as well as other services) have a refund system so if there are sloppy ports, users would just get a refund and the developer/publisher wouldn't make any money...

There would be no hardware competition. No services competition. No controller competition. They would lose the "royalty fee" AND have to pay a chunk of that to steam. Oh and marketing. Marketing would take a HUGE hit. 

That would make it impossible to make the games they make now. Thus you would lose a large chunk of the gaming market. And thus would have a lot less competition.

Then you would lose the "bundles". With no consoles you'd have no hardware+game bundles. "Buy this keyboard, get this game?" yeah no.

So? I don't get what any of those 3 have to do with creating games. And yea, they would have to pay a chunk to steam but the benefit would be that they don't have to maintain any of the services which they have to do now. They don't have to pay for server costs, hardware costs, UI upgrades and etc. They also don't have to run the risk of losing hardware sales to the competition everytime a new generation starts and plenty of other benefits.

And they could make their own services if they wanted to... Nothing as big as steam sure but that doesn't prevent EA and etc from creating their own and profiting from them. And the same with controllers and hardware. Not sure how marketing would get affected though.

So I don't get what would make it impossible to make the games they make now... If plenty of other developers can do it, I am sure Sony can.

And there are bundles like that on PC. We have GPUs, CPUs, SSDs and sometimes keyboard/mouse having game bundles. But again, I don't get why not being able to give away bundles would matter to them...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850