By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Splatoon 2 Sell 5mil Lifetime........ In Japan Alone?? [YeS It Will] [Update: 4.5mil Ship+Digital]

abroZ said:
SegataSanshiro said:
No. Splatoon can sell 5-6 million WW lifetime. 1 Million in japan and heck maybe even 1.5 mill in Japan. It's not going to outsell or come close to Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter numbers tho.

Did you know Splatoon is the best selling home console game between ps4/xbone and wiiu in Japan? Did you know Splatoon sold 1.5 million units on a 3.3 million userbase (Japan)? Do you believe splatoon 2 won't sell more on switch than it did on wiiu? 

That being said, dragon Quest 7 warriors is the most sold dragon Quest game on 3ds with 1.3 million units...the first splatoon already beat it. 

Monster Hunter 4 sold 3.4 million units. I don't think splatoon 2 will surpass it but I think it can definitely get close. I think you underestimate how big splatoon is over there. 

While I agree that he's low-balled Splatoon 2's sales far too greatly, you have to be kidding with that comparison. A remake shouldn't be compared to a mainline entry. Dragon Quest is bigger than Splatoon in Japan; anyone who's looking at it without bias would conclude this.

Around the Network
abroZ said:
SegataSanshiro said:
No. Splatoon can sell 5-6 million WW lifetime. 1 Million in japan and heck maybe even 1.5 mill in Japan. It's not going to outsell or come close to Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter numbers tho.

Did you know Splatoon is the best selling home console game between ps4/xbone and wiiu in Japan? Did you know Splatoon sold 1.5 million units on a 3.3 million userbase (Japan)? Do you believe splatoon 2 won't sell more on switch than it did on wiiu? 

That being said, dragon Quest 7 warriors is the most sold dragon Quest game on 3ds with 1.3 million units...the first splatoon already beat it. 

Monster Hunter 4 sold 3.4 million units. I don't think splatoon 2 will surpass it but I think it can definitely get close. I think you underestimate how big splatoon is over there. 

Switch doesn't have 3 million systems to sell on yet over there. Also I was the one saying Splatoon would sell 2 million first year while everyone else was saying be lucky to hit 500k. Splatoon 2 is also releasing the same month as Dragon Quest XI. I don't know what Dragon Quest 7 Warriors is as I never heard of it. Dragon Quest VII however is a remake. Dragon Quest Heroes is a spinoff and while it did well it's still a spinoff and yes Musou sell well. DQXI is a main entry and the first real main Entry since DQ9 on DS which is thebest selling DQ game of all time. DQXI is on 3 systems. 2 in July and the 2 most popular systems over there. Still the two top Japanese series is MH and DQ.

Dreamcaster said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Jesus christ man, where did you found this Cloud avatar!?

Do you have a link?

Sure man, not a problem :)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b7/5e/26/b75e267f87b555651b4477afef8549dc.jpg

Thanks man!

lol

Dreamcaster said:
abroZ said:

While I agree that he's low-balled Splatoon 2's sales far too greatly, you have to be kidding with that comparison. A remake shouldn't be compared to a mainline entry. Dragon Quest is bigger than Splatoon in Japan; anyone who's looking at it without bias would conclude this.

Yes I know dragon Quest is big but I was just referring to games released this last generation since it's a more accurate representation of how games are selling today in Japan not how they used to sell. Final Fantasy 15 is a testament on how once massive franchises don't guarantee massive sales anymore. And I do agree the upcoming dragon Quest will do big numbers and surpass FF15 but I doubt it will reach the heights of the previous entry's at least not on a single platform. 

Think for yourself, question authority

Around the Network

it will solely depend on switch's success in japan, one thing i'm sure, it will surpass splatoon in a year in japan. Splatoon 2 has a big advantage over the first one, play it on the go with 8 player local match or even using 3g, it's brings pretty much the same appeal mh does, just look at the comg numbers, the amount of ppl that skipped splat on wii u cause it's not a decent system and you'restuck to play only in home and that now will have the freedom to play anywhere, splatoon 2 will be big, i think it might reach 3mi units in it's lifetime and if the second game end up being better than the first one, the word of mouth can make 5m happen.

“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.” - Satoru Iwata

abroZ said:
Dreamcaster said:

Yes I know dragon Quest is big but I was just referring to games released this last generation since it's a more accurate representation of how games are selling today in Japan not how they used to sell. Final Fantasy 15 is a testament how once massive franchises don't guarantee massive sales anymore. And I do agree the upcoming dragon Quest will do big numbers and surpass FF15 I doubt it will reach the heights of the previous entry's at least not on a single platform. 

On a single platform? I concur, without a doubt. On all three? It could match DQIX, after all, the combined user-base will be greater than the DS's 30 mil in 2009 by the end of this year. As well as that, double, or potentially even triple-dipping will be prevalent due to the vast differences in the versions of the game. You have to remember that FFXV is very special example. Final Fantasy has been affected by Westernisation and long-term brand-damage. Dragon Quest has suffered neither of these, so to expect a decline as severe is unreasonable.

don't believe it, at the it's doing amazing at comg and i think 2 mil are possible

tbone51 said:
Cloudman said:
There's being bold, and then... there's just being crazy.

Crazy is my special recipe for my crows feast im serving up xDj

I dunno if you'll be serving crow with that prediction, but if it did happen, I'd gladly eat crow.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:
tbone51 said:

Crazy is my special recipe for my crows feast im serving up xDj

I dunno if you'll be serving crow with that prediction, but if it did happen, I'd gladly eat crow.

This crow im batching up will be the mos6 delicious ever here on vgc chicago :p