By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - None of the blockbuster 3rd party games coming to switch 2017

Switch lifetime figures?

12-15 million 72 7.05%

15-20 million 58 5.68%

20-25 million 78 7.64%

25-30 million 119 11.66%

Way more than the above 694 67.97%

Total:1,021
nuckles87 said:
twintail said:

I didnt realise the 3DS wasnt a handheld but an actual console that received console dominant IPs.

So, are we all just ignoring the Wii for some reason? Because that was Nintendo's best selling console ever, and that didn't have any of the major third party games. 

If Wii can do it, no reason why Switch can't.

Yup. Following the same logic,

if wiifit managed to sell 20m+, no reason why wiifit-S can't.
if SPlatoon managed to sell 4m+, no reason why every new Ninty Ip can't.
if Minecraft managed to sell around 80m copies, no reason why Minecraft 2 or another indie can't.

Yes, all these things are possible, but how likely? 

Around the Network
naruball said:
V-r0cK said:

This thread is about 3rd party games/support, your list is all 1st party aside from MH lol

Besides, anybody that picks up a NS knows that those 1st party games and MH are likely to come to NS anyways and is expected.  People want more 3rd party support for NS or else it'll just be like Wii U and that's what nobody wants.

Or like 3ds which is pretty good. Not able to compete with ps4, but still good.

Agreed.

I think the issue is that Nintendo dubs the Switch as a "home console" so when it comes to 3rd party support everyone expects/assumes the Switch to get the same home console games that PS4/XB1 are getting.  Whereas 3DS doesn't have that kind of expectation because people have different expectations between home consoles and handhelds.

Bandorr said:
An odd thread.
On one hand - no Switch will probably not get the big AAA until they reach a point where they can't be denied. That will take years though - assuming it happens at all.

On another it is fairly funny to see people responding with lists of Nintendo exclusives. While disproving one point - it proves another.

Don't really understand the timing of the thread. This isn't new. Very few people actually expected RDR2 on the switch.

It really is odd.

We have people implying that the Switch can't manage without major 3rd party support, even though Nintendo has had success without major 3rd party support in the past.  That's not even considering that the Switch is a different kind of console, one that includes the handheld side of the equation, which has never depended on those franchises.

Then again, we have people trying to rationalize the situation by saying that those blockbuster 3rd party releases don't matter and that Nintendo didn't want them to begin with.  Of course they matter, there is no business that doesn't want to make more money.  We know for a fact that Nintendo reached out to Bethesda and others and that they've improved their 3rd party support to be more proactive, which leaves the theory that Nintendo excludes 3rd parties on purpose in ruins.  That doesn't mean they need them, though.  

The Wii U was a self-defeating device, a failure of design.  It doesn't signify very much about the Switch.  This is a different kind of console, so I think the best bet is to watch what happens rather than make pronouncement based on past systems.

Just like with Trump you can always count on some people on VG chartz...

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Green098 said:

I mean I didn't see any of these games on 3DS and it was very successful and just because it didn't have Star Wars Battlefront, didn't mean it have any shortage of 3rd party support either.

Mhm the 3ds did have huge 3rd party support tho..... and even still the system has only managed to sell a little over a third of whatrheDsdid 

mM
Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Peh said:
Sounds like flamebait to me.

It's another leo-j classic in the making.

Suddenly being honest is flamebait?

#surejan

mM

Ideally more third-party would be better (I think that goes without saying). However, I honestly believe much of the sales for this particular system will depend on what and how much Nintendo brings to the platform as well as exclusive third-party content. I look at Switch as being the opposite of XOne in the regard. Much of Microsoft's console base is built around third-party multiplats, whereas Nintendo's base largerly consist of those that purchase the systems for exclusives (and I reckon in this case for portability with near home console like graphics). I recall the Wii U had a decent launch with third-party titles (it recieved COD, Mass Effect 3, Tekken, FIFA, etc.) and it did little to help it sell (much of the sales bumps for that system came when exclusives arrived). Similarly, 3DS did not really take off until the price cut occurred SM3DL and MK7 came out.

V-r0cK said:
Jranation said:
As long as you got the big exclusive hitters the came on the 3DS and Wii U to the Switch, then it should be able to do 50mil+
- Pokemon
- MH
- Splatoon
- Mario Kart
- Super Smash
- Animal Crossing
- More Zelda
- and others that I might forgot

This thread is about 3rd party games/support, your list is all 1st party aside from MH lol

Besides, anybody that picks up a NS knows that those 1st party games and MH are likely to come to NS anyways and is expected.  People want more 3rd party support for NS or else it'll just be like Wii U and that's what nobody wants.

Im trying to say that if gets the games I listed then It shouldn't need to worry about these 3 or any blockbuster 3rd party games, and that would be enough for the Switch to be farrrrrrrr from Wii U 2.0

Pocky Lover Boy! 

leo-j said:
Green098 said:

I mean I didn't see any of these games on 3DS and it was very successful and just because it didn't have Star Wars Battlefront, didn't mean it had any shortage of 3rd party support either.

Mhm the 3ds did have huge 3rd party support tho..... and even still the system has only managed to sell a little over a third of whatrheDsdid 

Exactly, but it have anything on the terms of those games listed? No. There are more ways to have 3rd party support other than games like this years next Call of Duty rehash.

As for your last point, look at PS2 numbers compared to PS3, far from what the predecessor achieved but by no means a failure with bad sales and and poor revenue made. PS2 and DS sales are an unrealistic target, not every product is ever gonna reach those numbers, but is that needed for a sucessful product? No.

Jranation said:
V-r0cK said:

Im trying to say that if gets the games I listed then It shouldn't need to worry about these 3 or any blockbuster 3rd party games, and that would be enough for the Switch to be farrrrrrrr from Wii U 2.0

Well your list of 1st party games are strong and is what makes Nintendo, but it's hard to say really because the Wii U did get a MH, 3 Zelda games, Splatoon, Mario Kart, Pokken (I know its not a real Pokemon game but its something Pokemon) and Smash, and it was only able to sell around 14M units.