By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - None of the blockbuster 3rd party games coming to switch 2017

 

Switch lifetime figures?

12-15 million 72 7.05%
 
15-20 million 58 5.68%
 
20-25 million 78 7.64%
 
25-30 million 119 11.66%
 
Way more than the above 694 67.97%
 
Total:1,021

Why would it matter if it got those games though? As long as it gets Mario, zelda and Pokemon it's going to sell



Around the Network
twintail said:
Goodnightmoon said:

3DS on the other hand...

I didnt realise the 3DS wasnt a handheld but an actual console that received console dominant IPs.

 

So, are we all just ignoring the Wii for some reason? Because that was Nintendo's best selling console ever, and that didn't have any of the major third party games. 

 

If Wii can do it, no reason why Switch can't.



nuckles87 said:
twintail said:

I didnt realise the 3DS wasnt a handheld but an actual console that received console dominant IPs.

 

So, are we all just ignoring the Wii for some reason? Because that was Nintendo's best selling console ever, and that didn't have any of the major third party games. 

 

If Wii can do it, no reason why Switch can't.

64, GC and WU would be the reasons, 3 against 1.

Anyway, Nintendo wants to sell it as a console but it's a handheld, and handhelds only need mainline Pokemon and they'll sell.
The problem is Nintendo wanting to sell it as a console, priced as a console, and they have a 25% on success rate on selling consoles lacking major third party support with just one of them being able to, and not because of first party games, but because of a massive "non-hardcore" gamers boost which already moved to smartphones.

Being a handheld is the only non-reason for it to not underperform compared to those consoles, and as far as it'll sell better than those consoles, it won't reach the 3DS which is already a big drop on their handhelds track record (the lowest), because it's sold as a console, but lacks what the other consoles have, so yeah, it'll affect it.



An odd thread.
On one hand - no Switch will probably not get the big AAA until they reach a point where they can't be denied. That will take years though - assuming it happens at all.

On another it is fairly funny to see people responding with lists of Nintendo exclusives. While disproving one point - it proves another.

Don't really understand the timing of the thread. This isn't new. Very few people actually expected RDR2 on the switch.



  • Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
Flilix said:

I even doubt Destiny 2 will sell over 10 million, since the first Destiny only sold about 13 million copies.

Since Destiny was kind of a failure, a lot of people wouldn't want the second game, even if it's good. The same thing happened to Watch Dogs 2

I don't follow your reasoning. If 13M for a new IP is a failure, Uncharted, Gears of War, Zelda are probably massive flops because they sell 5-8M. 



Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
Jranation said:
As long as you got the big exclusive hitters the came on the 3DS and Wii U to the Switch, then it should be able to do 50mil+
- Pokemon
- MH
- Splatoon
- Mario Kart
- Super Smash
- Animal Crossing
- More Zelda
- and others that I might forgot

This thread is about 3rd party games/support, your list is all 1st party aside from MH lol

Besides, anybody that picks up a NS knows that those 1st party games and MH are likely to come to NS anyways and is expected.  People want more 3rd party support for NS or else it'll just be like Wii U and that's what nobody wants.

Or like 3ds which is pretty good. Not able to compete with ps4, but still good.



People have only received the exact specs for the Switch for around three months now, and they've only known that it has a legit chance of success in sales for less.

If the sales of the Switch remain strong and the first few 3rd party titles perform well, you can bet the ports will be coming. It's just a matter of whether or not these 3rd party devs believe the money is there. Don't expect much in the first year, but we might see a lot more by year two.



torok said:
Flilix said:

I even doubt Destiny 2 will sell over 10 million, since the first Destiny only sold about 13 million copies.

Since Destiny was kind of a failure, a lot of people wouldn't want the second game, even if it's good. The same thing happened to Watch Dogs 2

I don't follow your reasoning. If 13M for a new IP is a failure, Uncharted, Gears of War, Zelda are probably massive flops because they sell 5-8M. 

A failure in terms of quality, not in sales.

Watch Dogs was a mediocre game too, but it still sold well because of the hype. Watch Dogs 2 was a slightly better game (or at least equally good), but it didn't sell well, because people weren't interested anymore (since the first game was disappointing).



nuckles87 said:
twintail said:

I didnt realise the 3DS wasnt a handheld but an actual console that received console dominant IPs.

 

So, are we all just ignoring the Wii for some reason? Because that was Nintendo's best selling console ever, and that didn't have any of the major third party games. 

 

If Wii can do it, no reason why Switch can't.

Yup. Following the same logic,

if wiifit managed to sell 20m+, no reason why wiifit-S can't.
if SPlatoon managed to sell 4m+, no reason why every new Ninty Ip can't.
if Minecraft managed to sell around 80m copies, no reason why Minecraft 2 or another indie can't.

Yes, all these things are possible, but how likely? 



naruball said:
V-r0cK said:

This thread is about 3rd party games/support, your list is all 1st party aside from MH lol

Besides, anybody that picks up a NS knows that those 1st party games and MH are likely to come to NS anyways and is expected.  People want more 3rd party support for NS or else it'll just be like Wii U and that's what nobody wants.

Or like 3ds which is pretty good. Not able to compete with ps4, but still good.

Agreed.

I think the issue is that Nintendo dubs the Switch as a "home console" so when it comes to 3rd party support everyone expects/assumes the Switch to get the same home console games that PS4/XB1 are getting.  Whereas 3DS doesn't have that kind of expectation because people have different expectations between home consoles and handhelds.