By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Man violently removed from United Airlines plane. ~Update~ United may have broken the law.

SvennoJ said:
Imaginedvl said:

No, I'm sorry but there is no line to be drawn there; the line stops when the person is 1) not comploying with authorities (wrongly or not) and then resisting, simple as that. There are only one way to remove him from the plane; pull him and drag him...

And again they did not bash his skull, HE did but actively resisting and then hurting himself... 

You ignored it but my analogy (somewhat extrem) with a dude pulling a gun on a cop and then being shot is the same... That during physically resisted and got hurt in the process... 100% his fault, the line is way before then when he decided to act like a complete idiot and resist cops...

Do we live in a society where time > decency. There was no danger here, no reason to resort to pulling and dragging. It could have taken an hour to talk the man into leaving the plane, so what. Figure something out. It's nothing like pulling a gun on a cop. And when you lay hands on someone, you are responsible for the outcome, plain and simple.

The guy did not want to get out... What do you mean by time? I'm sorry but no, other people do not have to wait (what? hours? Days? Take another plane because of this parasite?) just because he decided to do not comply and give a finger to that same "society" with rules and authorities? And all the people on tthe plane shluld wait because of him, where is the decency towards all other passengers?

Decency also includes other people and the impact of his behavior... 

Good you talk about the society because it actually shows that now, some people really feel like you should respect them so much, not touch them, let them not comply with authorities and do whatever they want until "they" decide to move or comply... I'm sorry but this all wrong imo. Esp. after asking him multiple time with a lot of decency before

Around the Network

Actually technically too I've heard the overbooking rules are only for pre-boarding. Once you get on the plane and take your seat they have no right to remove you on the basis of overbooking.

This man was correct in not moving. 

Why don't companies stop being so greedy and stop overbooking? It does nothing more than cause problems.

The man had patients. He has a career which cannot be postponed so easily. Even if he resisted, I cannot see how one can support him beating harassed like this.

You know, I was going to comment on how airport security works but then I realized it was probably too morbid to say. So I wont. But I will say this, fuck airport security in the US. Fuck your worries about 6yr olds and old people being goddamn terrorists.

Imaginedvl said:
SvennoJ said:

Do we live in a society where time > decency. There was no danger here, no reason to resort to pulling and dragging. It could have taken an hour to talk the man into leaving the plane, so what. Figure something out. It's nothing like pulling a gun on a cop. And when you lay hands on someone, you are responsible for the outcome, plain and simple.

The guy did not want to get out... What do you mean by time? I'm sorry but no, other people do not have to wait (what? hours? Days? Take another plane because of this parasite?) just because he decided to do not comply and give a finger to that same "society" with rules and authorities? And all the people on tthe plane shluld wait because of him, where is the decency towards all other passengers?

Good you talk about the society because it actually shows that now, some people really feel like you should respect them so much, not touch them, let them not comply with authorities and do whatever they want until "they" decide to move or comply... I'm sorry but this all wrong imo. Esp. after asking him multiple time with a lot of decency before

The guidelines state they can deny people boarding the plane if overbooked, not that they can forcefully remove you after you've boarded because they overbooked.  This is entirely on the airline. 

This should have been settled well before they let passengers board the plane. 

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
Aeolus451 said:

lmao. That's what is considered violent? The only that was harmed was that guy's ego. Seems like some are just blowing that out of proportion for the clicks. 

Are you blind? Any time someone bleeds as the result of someone's actions, that's violence.

Did you watch the vid I commented on? No, you didn't. He didn't look like he was bleeding or anything. 

hollabackenny said:
Imaginedvl said:

The guidelines state they can deny people boarding the plane if overbooked, not that they can forcefully remove you after you've boarded because they overbooked.  This is entirely on the airline. 

Don't think you are following here. United being wrong or not is not why the dude got hurt... Not at all and nobody is even arguing with that.

Imaginedvl said:
hollabackenny said:

Don't think you are following here. United being wrong or not is not why the dude got hurt... Not at all and nobody is even arguing with that.

United is wrong, so is the police there. They had no right to ask him to leave his seat. Once you are boarded, they cannot remove you from the flight unless you are a safety risk and he was not. 

This is going to cost United and that police force a lot of money because they are going to get sued off their asses. 

You are not required to comply with jack shit if you haven't done anything wrong. 

You're supposed to tell people to change the flights BEFORE they board the plane. Once they're seated in the plane, you have no right to tell them to leave their seat because of overbooking. United fucked up big time; they should've done the random removal BEFORE anyone boarded, not AFTER.

Congrats to the guy for his new millions.