By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wait, DID Horizon First Week Global Sales Really Outpace BotW's? (PLEASE READ FIRST POST)

Which did you enjoy more?

Breath of the Wild 402 32.74%

Horizon: Zero Dawn 377 30.70%

I haven't played both yet/Unsure 286 23.29%

See Results 163 13.27%

Total:1,228

Why are there a bunch of angry Zelda fans in here? Isn't it common knowledge that Zelda sales are outpacing Horizon sales now? How can you be bitter when your game of choice is speeding to freedom?

This thread isn't a fandom throwdown. Either knock it off with the bitter arguing or get out of the thread. I've half a mind to request a lock.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
wolflink said:

But what truth are you telling?  How did you come to the conclusion that Horizon failed at surpassing Zelda in TRANSCENDENCY? How did you come to the conclusion that no one cared about the graphics? The only truth so far is that Zelda had the better META. Sales are still up in the air even though I think that Zelda will sell the best out of the two.

The truth is: 

Zelda kicked Horizon´s ass.

Transcendency???

RDR2  Better have a climb system or it will feel old with all those non interactive mountains. And a modern horse mechanics.

GTA6 Better have a new quest system, because freedom is the new black.

Horizon 2 Better have a robust pysichs engine and enviroment interactivity or there will be another 89 game (or less).

And about graphics,please tell me,,,,

How many threads all over the Internet we have about Horizon vs Zelda graphics???

Finally, about sales: sales dont tell us a shit about quality, COD, AC, even that crazy sales of GTAV are beyond reasoning because let´s be honest: is not that good.

You did not answer my question....how did you come to the conclusion that Zelda surpassed  Horizon in TRANSCENDENCY you just went around the question. You also still did not answer the question abouy how you came to the conclusion that no one cared about the graphics. 

Lastly who said sales equated to quality? I sure didn't so what made you bring yet another random point up?

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

TheBlackNaruto said:
wolflink said:

But what truth are you telling?  How did you come to the conclusion that Horizon failed at surpassing Zelda in TRANSCENDENCY? How did you come to the conclusion that no one cared about the graphics? The only truth so far is that Zelda had the better META. Sales are still up in the air even though I think that Zelda will sell the best out of the two.

The truth is: 

Zelda kicked Horizon´s ass.

Transcendency???

RDR2  Better have a climb system or it will feel old with all those non interactive mountains. And a modern horse mechanics.

GTA6 Better have a new quest system, because freedom is the new black.

Horizon 2 Better have a robust pysichs engine and enviroment interactivity or there will be another 89 game (or less).

And about graphics,please tell me,,,,

How many threads all over the Internet we have about Horizon vs Zelda graphics???

Finally, about sales: sales dont tell us a shit about quality, COD, AC, even that crazy sales of GTAV are beyond reasoning because let´s be honest: is not that good.

You did not answer my question....how did you come to the conclusion that Zelda surpassed  Horizon in TRANSCENDENCY you just went around the question. You also still did not answer the question abouy how you came to the conclusion that no one cared about the graphics. 

Lastly who said sales equated to quality? I sure didn't so what made you bring yet another random point up?

1. transcendency: In the near future there will be more games that will adopt BOTW:

mechanics (easy to understand rpg,  horse riding)

style (Freedom, do whatever you want, get lost)

concept (no obstacules, verticality, music)

2. Horizon is the best looking game right now (consoles)

Yet, gamers are getting tired of that graphic nonesense. You can read sentenses like: The gap is closing. Photorealism is almost here. All the games looks the same (brown and yellow).

My conclusion is supported by the number of articules, videos, and comparisons trying to get clicks (money); there are a small number, compared for example with GTAV ps3 vs GTAV ps4.vs GTAV ps4pro

3. Sales point. It was to give deepness to the thread title.

LudicrousSpeed said:

Yep, very safe. If GAF made a bingo card for open world "RPG" games and included every trope and cliche element of modern design for the genre, it would have hit them all. There's nothing wrong with just making a good, solid, safe game. But the fact that it does absolutely nothing new or of its own is a testament to how safe Sony played it. Not all new IPs are a risk. Destiny was guaranteed to be a success before it even launched. Same with Overwatch. Horizon isn't the typical new IP. 

And you can play revisionist history if you'd like, but GG has been one of the most popular Sony devs since the PS2 era. They had heir breakout game last gen, Killzone 2. It not only outscored Horizon in critical acclaim but was also unique and had GGs own personality. Horizon has neither of those. Adding to the evidence of how popular they are, KZ2 was one of the games Sony used to show off the PS3, and IIRC Killzone was also the first PS4 game shown. You're rattling off numbers about how they are top 10 first/second party, you're only making my point for me. I didn't say they are THE most popular Sony developer. I said a very popular Sony dev, which they are, by your own numbers you just posted.

The only risk involved with Horizon was giving GG a game that would require a lot of story and writing, because they've proven to be shit at both. But Sony erased that risk by signing people form other companies who can write a good narrative. It had a huge marketing machine behind it on a huge user base, of course it was going to succeed. And I don't want to make it sound like I am pooing on the game, as I said before, it's good.

I'm speaking of the entire process, while you're only pointing at the end result.

Horzion is not the typical new IP? If Horzion is part of an atypical group of new IP, then where is this huge number of typical games?

Revisionist history- Do you even know what that means? I'm not challenging a wide held belief or presenting any new evidence here. I'm simply pointing to the numbers. GG have had the talent pool and the funding for years, but KZ2 has been their biggest success. You can argue semantics, but 3m in sales puts them in the middle of the pack. They've commercially been about the same as SuckerPunch for years, but with a much bigger footprint. HZD is without a doubt their breakout game. Watch it flatten KZ numbers, and see how fast they return to that franchise. The GG DNA is there in HZD, particularly in the combat and in the dinosaur design.

Two points on metacritic between two generations and 24 different reviews in between? I don't even know how to respond to this, you have to be joking.

No the risk was entrusting them to make a new IP in a completely new genre. If it's as simple as getting a huge marketing machine behind a huge user base, Sony would have, and will be, hitting only home runs for the entire generation. But we both know there's far more to it than that. 

Anyone who says horizon is a dozen in a box simple open world sorta rpg should not only look closer at " zelda" since that's pretty much the same but done verry well

They also didn't play itor else you would know its absolutely incredible.

Thinking  horizon  won't  have legs like zelda  or lets say uncharted  is also weird..

It will definitely  sell around  5-8 mill.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Combined, BotW now leads retail sales.

BotW (NS + Wii U) - 2,384,744
Horizon: Zero Dawn - 2,355,897

It was just a matter of time for this to happen. Maybe BOTW switch manages to outsell Horizon by itself when all is said and done. Evenso Horizon sales are great.

It has become necessary to update the first post.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

wolflink said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

1. transcendency: In the near future there will be more games that will adopt BOTW:

mechanics (easy to understand rpg,  horse riding)

style (Freedom, do whatever you want, get lost)

concept (no obstacules, verticality, music)

2. Horizon is the best looking game right now (consoles)

Yet, gamers are getting tired of that graphic nonesense. You can read sentenses like: The gap is closing. Photorealism is almost here. All the games looks the same (brown and yellow).

My conclusion is supported by the number of articules, videos, and comparisons trying to get clicks (money); there are a small number, compared for example with GTAV ps3 vs GTAV ps4.vs GTAV ps4pro

3. Sales point. It was to give deepness to the thread title.

1. How do you know there will be more games that adopt BoTW? And none of your points say anything about BoTW surpassing HZD in TRANSCENDENCY.

Mechanics? So there have not been easy to understand RPGs before? Or there haven't been anyg  mes with horse back riding? Come on now you can do better than that.

Style? Freedom wouldn't work with a lot of games because of their style, and there is nothing wrong with that. Being able to get lost, go where you want and do what you want does not work for every game. Glad it worked for BoTW though!

Concept? What do you mean when you say no obstacles? Is that just another way of saying being able to go whever you want? And if so why would you add it as if it was another point? Verticality....same thing as freedom so why add it again? Music? Come on now so more games are going to adopt the muisc of BoTW....that seems to be a bit of a stretch. There are plenty of games with amazing music and have been for a while now. So what is so special about the music of Zelda that other games will "adopt" it?

2. Graphics.....yes HZD currently is the best looking game on consoles right now. So it has a leg up in that department. You say gamers are getting tired of the graphics nonsense yet they still request it. Hence the reason they still care about it. Yet you said in the end no one cared so that was false. Like you say there are all these atricles about how people are fed up with graphics there are just as many if not more about how people want to see more and about how devs are pushing the envelope. So yes....they still matter....

3. Sales...no your statement did NOTHING to deepen the thread title at all. Because guess what NO ONE here said sales were equated to quality so againw hat was the random point of bringing it up? The thread title clearly states surprise at the fact that HZD outpaced Zelda FW WW which was indeed surprising considering how MANY thought HZD had no chance at all against BoTW let alone a chance at selling as much as it did in 2 weeks LT.

So again the only FACT that you made so far is that Zelda had a better META. Look man I have NO idea why you are so strung up on this HZD/BoTW battle. You take quick jabs with no real context then disapper. You seem to post about the battle quite often. Like a general in a WW or something lol. Then go in threads like "It is over HZD fans give up BoTW is the best game EVVVVVAAAA!!!!" that is how your post come off and pretty much what they say with just different wording. Look both BoTW and HZD are both great games. They both have strengths and weaknesses. Some things one does better than the other and vice versa. Some people will prefer BoTW others will prefer HZD and guess what there is nothing wrong with that. The lucky people will get to play both amazing games like I will! So come on dude you can chill backa little lol. 

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

deskpro2k3 said:
abroZ said:

Some people really pull stuff out of their ass. I mean you are on a website dedicated to sales figures. Where you got all the tools and graphs at your disposal to do your own research. Yet people don't like to put in a little effort. So concerning that 'big gap' you were talking about let me do the math for you:

According to this website as of March 11 combined sales for Breath of the wild are:

HZD is at 

Difference:

80,000 units 

Doesn't seem that big of a gap now does it? Seems to me that in a week or two HZD will be trailing behind. 

Keep in mind that combined install base for switch and wiiu is 40 million behind ps4, I say that's mighty impressive. 

Did I hurt your feelings or something?

Let me hit you with some Inductive reasoning. Zelda sales is depended upon how many Nintendo Switch consoles is up on the market, and since there is 2.4mil Switch consoles (currently sold out), that means it's fair to say a maximum of 2.4mil Zelda can be bought on that platform at this given moment. Meanwhile there is 13.9 million Wii U, and Zelda only manages 0.64 mil on that. So if you think it'll break the gap then I'd say that's wishful thinking. It all depends on how fast Nintendo can push out Nintendo Switches. Good luck I guess.

Think for yourself, question authority

deskpro2k3 said:
abroZ said:

Some people really pull stuff out of their ass. I mean you are on a website dedicated to sales figures. Where you got all the tools and graphs at your disposal to do your own research. Yet people don't like to put in a little effort. So concerning that 'big gap' you were talking about let me do the math for you:

According to this website as of March 11 combined sales for Breath of the wild are:

HZD is at 

Difference:

80,000 units 

Doesn't seem that big of a gap now does it? Seems to me that in a week or two HZD will be trailing behind. 

Keep in mind that combined install base for switch and wiiu is 40 million behind ps4, I say that's mighty impressive. 

Did I hurt your feelings or something?

Let me hit you with some Inductive reasoning. Zelda sales is depended upon how many Nintendo Switch consoles is up on the market, and since there is 2.4mil Switch consoles (currently sold out), that means it's fair to say a maximum of 2.4mil Zelda can be bought on that platform at this given moment. Meanwhile there is 13.9 million Wii U, and Zelda only manages 0.64 mil on that. So if you think it'll break the gap then I'd say that's wishful thinking. It all depends on how fast Nintendo can push out Nintendo Switches. Good luck I guess.

So it took Breath of the Wild about 15 days (march 3rd - march 18th) to overtake HZD in retail sales. 2,384,000 vs 2,355,000
Can we agree that the gap was very short lived? Or will you hit me again with some inductive reasoning?  
Seems to me that from now on the gap between Zelda and Horizon will only get bigger.
So do you think that HZD can close the gap or is that wishful thinking? 

Think for yourself, question authority