By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Did Sony make a mistake by be first to release an upgraded console.

Not really. MS are not going to beat PS4.
If you want to talk simply of power, PS5 will be out within two years. Scorpio irrelevant already, would love MS to release another two years later, will be a lot of pissed scorpio purchasers

Around the Network

Don't think so, especially if Sony decides to cut the price and/or bundle a game with the Pro later this year. The reason why power gap between the base PS4 and XB1 was given attention at the beginning of the gen was because the former was more powerful and more affordable.

Intrinsic said:
KBG29 said:

I was taking into account new form factors. I fully believe Sony and Nintendo will put out more options to build out their ecosystem, considering how important their hardware and ecosystems are. It would not shock me to see a Portable PS4 next year, and a Switch Mini. Then a PS4 and XBO revision in 2019, followed by a Switch revision in 2020, and so on and so forth.

It just seems like we have reach a point where they are no longer trying to compete head to head at the same launch, and they are all willing to take time and try to capture the spot light in their own window.

Thats the thing though... what you are saying sin't possible either. People keep saying this thing a lot. A PS4 portable...... but when I see that I just think to myself that these people don't really know how hardware works.

The switch in docked mode has a peak power draw of around 17watts. Mind you, thats 17watts for the entire system so it covers everything that requires power to run in the switch and not just the APU. The PS4 on the other hand draws a max 140watt of power. Thats like 7 TIMES more power needed!!!! And this isn't even taking int consideration that sony would have to make cart versions of all its PS4 games or go all digital and still put in a significant sized nad flash module(s) in the unit (which is way more expensive than throwing in a HDD.

For there to be a PS4 portable, max power consumption has to come down to around 20watt. Even shifting to a 7nm node..... thats just not possible.

I think people only look at the launch PS4 numbers and have not looked at recent numbers on the slim. The Slim uses significantly less power than the day one model, and even the 1200 model had a decent size reduction in power use, without a shrink in the APU. Actually PS4 Slim only draws a maximum of 86 Watts in the most load heavy situation, with the front end at 47W and 4 player split screen on Rocket League taking 63W. 

There are already rumors of an even slimmer PS4, and it would make sense that this would have an even lower power draw than the current slim. As times goes on, everything in the system shrinks, and in some cases, things can be eliminated, and their operation can be picked up by other components at a cheaper cost powerwise and monetarly.

It is very possible for Sony to rework that PS4 into a portable if they want to. They can customize the components to reach the power levels they need. It would definitly be harder right now, but they could always be looking at 12 or 10nm options, which will be available sooner, and make it easier. Once the reach 7nm, I have no doubt they can pull it off. Even under the current curve they would be looking at just over 40Watts in the worst scenario at 7nm. That can easily be ironeed out if they are focusing on a portabe design.

As far as cost is concerened, I think it is all about making a profit, and less about massive market penitration. If it has to cost $499.99, to make it viable, then that is what it should be. Though I don't think it will be that bad. Samsung expects the price of NAND based memory to drop below traditional drives $/GB by 2020, and that would be the single most expensive component. I think if they launched this year it would be $399.99. As long as they give it 4G and Calling/Texting it will be worth $800 to me, because it will be a smatphone on steroids.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-the-playstation-4-slim-cuh-2000

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Scorpio is a reaction to this entire gen.

Alot more news is coming. This is just the start.

When you have the first party powerhouse that PS4 has, it doesn't matter anymore. In no way or shape can MS do anything that can hurt PS at this point, unless Sony messes up badly. Only depends on Sony's mistakes at this point.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
Not really. MS are not going to beat PS4.
If you want to talk simply of power, PS5 will be out within two years. Scorpio irrelevant already, would love MS to release another two years later, will be a lot of pissed scorpio purchasers

I suggest never buying a console because more power is always just a few years away...

We don't even know if PS5 will be a massive upgrade over Scropio. PS4 Pro wasn't a huge upgrade and that was 3 years after PS4.

If Sony wants to keep selling their consoles at a profit, what they can do at $399 is limited. The general feeling is Scropio will be above $399.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

The power narrative is less important than the price narrative. It is probably a safe assumption that the Pro will be at least $100 cheaper than Scorpio when Scorpio launches. And given most people still don't have 4K TVs MS is somewhat ahead of the curve there is no need to put out a more powerful console just yet. By the time the next PS iteration comes along 4K will be more prevalent and Sony will have more power at a time when component prices have come down a decent amount.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Don't worry. PS4 Pro Pro will eat Scorpio.

Sales will tell for sure, but from past record, console manufacturers get more success if they mostly try and follow their schedule without chasing competitors in every step.
BTW, mid-life improvements always end up being underused, as games must still be compatible with the base model, so some extra graphics power, extra non-gaming features, faster loading and higher framerate are always welcome, but any console will better have the essential things, or what the console maker thinks that will become essential, since the start.
WiiMote Plus higher precision motion tracking received minimal and almost exclusively first party SW support, and Wii missed the full use of a natural development of motion control that could have extended its life and possibly could have caused the birth of hardcore motion control gaming too, and this extra life for Wii could have allowed Ninty to plan better Wii U release, without rushing it.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

With the way things are currently going, next gen starts with PS5.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5