By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Scorpio wont do native 4K in most of the games, my opinion

VAMatt said:
KLAMarine said:
Just get that framerate up. I care more about that.

I agree.  Give me the best resolution possible *after* 60fps has been hit.

Also, a focus on frame rates would make the Scorpio  more appealing to people without 4k TVS.  

Around the Network
Barozi said:
derpysquirtle64 said:
I think it will hit 4K in 1080p and 900p Xbox one games. But I think 720p games won't. For example, frostbite games.

eh there are quite few Frostbite games that run at 900p or higher on X1.

PvZ Garden Warfare 2 (60FPS)
FIFA 17 (60FPS)
Mass Effect Andromeda
Need For Speed
Dragon Age Inquisition

Actually, I think games developed by DiCE are the only Frostbite games not running at at least 900p.

Allot of Frostbite games are 900P.
In Battlefield 1 the game is often 900P on Xbox One with drops to 720P (Dynamic Resolution). - Battlefield 1 should see a resolution and framerate boost on Scorpio. Full 1080P 60fps.

With that, most frostbite games are only using medium quality settings, I would rather there be some resolution sacraficed and a big push for ultra settings on Scorpio, console gamers don't know what they are missing.

Besides, Frostbite is stupidly scalable, at it's lowest settings it can run on a toaster.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

KLAMarine said:
Just get that framerate up. I care more about that.

Only problem is there will be FPS parity on multi-player titles, just like the Pro.

Just to remind you that Forza 6 ran at 4k/60 with roughly 35% space on there GPU unoptimised. Games that run under 1080p will most likey be worked on by MS to achieve the 4k target. Forza was ported in 2 days!

Azzanation said:
Just to remind you that Forza 6 ran at 4k/60 with roughly 35% space on there GPU unoptimised.
Games that run <1080p will most likely be worked on by MS to achieve 4k target. Forza was ported in 2 days!

Right, the point as MS explained, is Scorpio architecture is based around profiling current Xbone games,
and removing all hardware bottlenecks to scaling those up to 4K, THAT IS WHAT SCORPIO *DOES*.
If you want to push other sorts of game/render pipelines than Xbone uses, Scorpio isn't optimized for that.
It's not about a new gen of games, but is literally designed to need no optimization to deliver 4K Xbone games.

Given they have been this forthcoming about HW already, I assume we'll hear more of GPU/CPU details soon.
Obviously not every gamer particularly cares about that level of detail, but it seems good to be proud of craft.

I guess question now is, WHAT DOES IT COST?
People talk about "$100 more than PS4 Pro", though Sony is likely to drop Pro price alongside Scorpio launch.
Pro simply is based around smaller, cheaper chips which will allow more competitive, mass market price.
I don't expect Scorpio to change much re: market dominance, but good for MS on delivering performant product.
Realistically MS just does not have global brand pull that Sony does, so might as well go for premium minority.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
VAMatt said:

I agree.  Give me the best resolution possible *after* 60fps has been hit.

Also, a focus on frame rates would make the Scorpio  more appealing to people without 4k TVS.  

Supersampling is a huge difference, people on 1080p screens will get a much better looking picture so that it still depends if you prefer frame rate or picture quality even for 1080p screen users. I mean, just play Forza and how that aliasing is just crazy on the normal Xbox. 

They should just allow different modes to choose from. Graphics mode for best graphics, performance mode for best performance and maybe something between if "necesssary" 

LudicrousSpeed said:
MS only ever said their own games would be "true 4k". They never promised or implied every game on the platform would hit native 4k. No one expects every single Scorpio game to be native 4k. But it should hit that mark much more consistently than the Pro.

I agree with this entirely.

But as far as the console goes, it's going to sell as poorly as the pro too, 4K ownership isn't mainstream right now, so most people with 1080p sets don't care enough about the difference.

crissindahouse said:
VAMatt said:

Supersampling is a huge difference, people on 1080p screens will get a much better looking picture so that it still depends if you prefer frame rate or picture quality even for 1080p screen users. I mean, just play Forza and how that aliasing is just crazy on the normal Xbox. 

They should just allow different modes to choose from. Graphics mode for best graphics, performance mode for best performance and maybe something between if "necesssary" 

If Scorpio is already doing same/better (more stable) FPS, what point is there unless it takes 30fps game to 60fps?
And the level of CPU boost seems highly unlikely of making that happen.
So the actual options on offer would be more like true 4K OR checkerboard4K/1080p with ultra FX setting.
In other words, different focuses of graphics quality... Not "60fps instead of 30fps" performance.

Azzanation said:
Just to remind you that Forza 6 ran at 4k/60 with roughly 35% space on there GPU unoptimised. Games that run under 1080p will most likey be worked on by MS to achieve the 4k target. Forza was ported in 2 days!

Keeping it in perspective, they achieved that with Xbox One levels of visuals... Which is nothing ground breaking.

mutantsushi said:
crissindahouse said:

If Scorpio is already doing same/better (more stable) FPS, what point is there unless it takes 30fps game to 60fps?
And the level of CPU boost seems highly unlikely of making that happen.
So the actual options on offer would be more like true 4K OR checkerboard4K/1080p with ultra FX setting.
In other words, different focuses of graphics quality... Not "60fps instead of 30fps" performance.

Scorpio will only take a game from 30fps to 60fps if the framerate isn't capped at 30fps.

The only time games will see a resolution boost on Scorpio is if they use a Dynamic Resolution approach or are Scorpio-optimised titles.

Scorpio will also apply 16x Anisotropic Filtering to (I assume) all games.

Scorpio also supports checkerboarding.

If a developer chooses 1080P and 30fps but increase the graphics quality substantually, then they are free to do so.

If a game is rendered at 4k, then Scorpio's scaler will downscale to whatever your native display resolution is, bolstering image quality that way. (Super Sampling.)