By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Now that Yooka Laylee is essentially a critical failure... this is good time for Banjo Three!

Mr Puggsly said:
LurkerJ said:
Many old platformers were way overrated back when they were released, their potential sequels will get tarnished by the critics just like Yooka Laylee

When it comes to Rare platformers, I agree. They were over rated even when they released.

But again, I believe there are valid criticisms being made about Yooka Laylee that drag down any game. Not just this style of game.

for when they came out? Banjo Kazooie is and was an extremely solid platformer. The reality is that Yooka Laylee attempts to mimic Banjo Kazooie 20 years later but does everything MUCH worse. from control, to world atmosphere, to mini activities.

The reason Yooka Laylee is getting a poor reception is because it should IMPROVE on some things but its debatably worse in a lot of regards when compared with Kazooie.

Rare did great work back in the day though. DK 64 and Conker's Bad Fur Day are awesome platformers, if you're into the genre. 

Around the Network
mountaindewslave said:

The reality is that Yooka Laylee attempts to mimic Banjo Kazooie 20 years later but does everything MUCH worse. from control, to world atmosphere, to mini activities.

The reason Yooka Laylee is getting a poor reception is because it should IMPROVE on some things but its debatably worse in a lot of regards when compared with Kazooie.

Have you played it yet or are you parroting other opinions?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:

No, MS is doing 1st party games as well.

2nd party isn't a real thing, its technical BS. If they don't own the studio, its 3rd party developed regardless who owns the IP.

MS had to buy Gears because they didn't own it. They just had a deal for four games apparently. Epic even made Unreal Tournament 3 for PS3 during that period.

Bungie left MS to make an online Halo and to go multiplat. They thought they had the next Call of Duty. Bungie is full of shit, Destiny would be more Halo if they owned it.

I do agree MS needs more notable 1st party content, but they also succeed in genres I feel Sony is weak. So meh, that's why I own both consoles.

Yes...second party is the name for a company that is contracted to make a first party IP for a first party brand. MS had a deal because they wanted to keep Gears from Sony.  Sony already had plenty of games and wasnt running to PC developers to make exclusives, so MS had a whole garden of places to look for exclusive games. Sony was busy working on their own internal way of developing games when Microsoft got Miass Effect and made the deal with Bioware for exclusivity of the game on console since they published it. Buying gears was the smartest move Microsoft ever made because they cannot internally do any better (hence why stopped working on the new IP Black Tusk was making and rebranded the team with newly released Sony and irrational game developers(ontop of the team they already had) as the coalition. 

Bungie left Microsoft because they valued their independence and wanted to work on other projects. Microsoft is the type of company that will become dependent on a surefire IP and milk it to death. Lucky for them, they know that we will still buy it if were fans. If I only owned an Xbox I would be more annoyed, but im not since I can take my focuse on any of the three brands games.

Again, 2nd party is just technical BS. Not a real thing.

Right, Gears was an exclusive deal for competitive reasons. You're stating the obvious.

MS's has the ability to create new IPs. They have money, they can get talent, they can make new IPs if they made the effort. Maybe they will down the road.

Everytime I see you in a Xbox thread you talk about how MS can't make new IPs. You've probably mentioned atleast a 1000 times on this forum. We all agree Sony is doing a better job at new IPs. You don't need to hammer that point every fucking post, its not even relevant to our discussion right now.

And here's the other thing you keep saying, MS milks their IPs. Again, I don't entirely disagree but its not relevant to this discussion. Its almost like you resort to that when you realize you're making poor arguments. "Oh man, my arguments are weak. I know, I'll attack MS's 1st party!"

Bungie left to make another Halo game,  Destiny is objectively an MMO Halo! Bungie is full of shit for saying they were tired of working on Halo... but essentially making another Halo. That was just spin because they don't own Halo, they wanted to make more Halo but not just with MS.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

After Breath of the Wild did not meet my expectations, Yooka-Laylee does! So far, and I just played for two hours, it is my game of the year, provided that Shenmue 3 will release in 2018. The game offers flawless AAA material so far, but I had to disable Anti-Aliasing and Vsync in the GPU driver to get it to a playable state without extreme input lag (I usually never disable Vsync but the input delay is extreme in this game). Now the game runs in fluid 1080p on the highest setting on my 5 year old notebook.

My preliminary rating so far: Yooka-Laylee: 90/100 (BotW: 80/100)

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

Lol uncharted 1 was a sold 8.5/10 and had super long legs because of awesome word of mouth.  Don't compare that to Yooka Laylee. 

You're entitled to your opinion but me and many others here disagree with your opinion.  And I've a funny feeling MS do too. 

I don't care what Uncharted scored or what it sold well when there was a lack of PS3 games. Its not a game people remember fondly and the successors improved greatly.

MS has funded games with less potential than Banjo Three. That's not an opinion and this is an opportunity for some fan service.

I and millions others who played uncharted 1 back in 2007/2008 remember it extremely fondly.  As drake historically said back then,  greatness from small beginnings.  How right he was! 

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
For MS to butcher it even more?

I'd rather them sell it to Playtonic, I think the criticisms for Yooka Laylee is because of the design is similar to games during generations ago, imo that really isnt a bad thing so I'd rather Playtonic get BK :p

Is Playtonic gonna launch a Kickstarter to buy BK? It might take more than Yooka Laylee raised.

Again, Playtonic may need funding for a new project and that's where MS can step in. Generally speaking developers have said MS is easy to work with and I know there are some exceptions. If MS willing to just throw money at them to do another BK/Yooka Laylee style game, it could be fine.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I don't care what Uncharted scored or what it sold well when there was a lack of PS3 games. Its not a game people remember fondly and the successors improved greatly.

MS has funded games with less potential than Banjo Three. That's not an opinion and this is an opportunity for some fan service.

I and millions others who played uncharted 1 back in 2007/2008 remember it extremely fondly.  As drake historically said back then,  greatness from small beginnings.  How right he was! 

Nostalgia goggles are funny thing. Its not a good game.

But hey, they made better sequels and that matters more.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

Lol Puggsly just said uncharted 1 isn't a good game.  That's a good one haha.  

I've played it many times since and it's still a good game. 

Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well you have a high tolerance for bad game design.

Either way, quit dragging this on. The moral of the story is I think Playtonic is capable of better as was ND.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

Well you have a high tolerance for bad game design.

Either way, quit dragging this on. The moral of the story is I think Playtonic is capable of better as was ND.

Looks like you've got a terrible tolerance for good games.  

Only story here is the first uncharted is good now but great at the time while the first Yooka Laylee was meh.