By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - 27th March - 2nd April

Ps4 at 30k+ again is a super pleasant surprise. Surely it drops next week but I'm hoping it's baseline will be 25k+ for a while.

Wildlands and horizon showing excellent legs. But the real winners here are gta 5 and Nier which magically managed to increase.

Who knows how much these leggy games can sell. But it's very impressive. Also gta 5 has a chance to sell 1m on ps4 in Japan. Now that would be something!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
tak13 said:

Yeah... In the west!

Things are different in Japan!

3DS has sold almost 500k so far  and it's yoy up, while its predecessor and percursor of its predecessor were extremly down yoy in the same time frame!

3DS is lucky, switch hardware nature ( which reminds the wii u ) ,  lack of 3DS  bc, software and hardware prices very big difference, 3DS still being supported and switch doesn't have the handheld ips yet!

Hence, the majority of people ( OUTSIDE GAMING FORUMS ) see it more like a wii u successor for the moment... Thus, wii u sales have fell of a cliff even since the switch release date announcement!

Even if Nintendo ceases the software support, 3DS could keeping doing well due to switch being overly expensive compared to 3DS/2DS!

Some people will prefer to spend 5000 yen for Pokemon s or m and 10.000 yen for a 2ds than 7000 yen for a Pokemon switch and 29.000 yen for switch.

And for the average handheld console  gamer, graphical superiority doesn't count, at least it does not count more than the affordability of software and hardware.

A more portable and afforable for the handheld console gamer, switch version should kill it...

I hope you have survey data to support this argument, but I don't think you have. You are merely arranging various pieces to fit the conclusion that Switch isn't perceived as a successor to the 3DS.

There are better explanations for why the 3DS is holding up better than previous handhelds during the transitional period and why Wii U sales are down so much. For the 3DS, it's seeing much more substantial third party support at this point in its life than any of the previous Nintendo handhelds. For the Wii U, production was stopped last year and there have been no new shipments this year.

You focused on that one phrase... ? Why not the explanations of this?

Wii u production was curtailed... Why Nintendo did that? Because of expecting switch to have an adverse effect to wii u sales and not wanting many wii u units on the shelves after switch launch.

( Wii u production has been only halted in Japan in December. ) 

As for the data... 3DS has sold 440k between Jan-March and it's yoy up, DS sold 640k in the whole 2011 and it was yoy down by 80%...

Don't say me to wait for the following months for a comparison,  because 3DS sales may face a steep drop , it just needs 12k on average weekly sales for the rest 39 weeks to exceed DS transition year sales by 200k.

As regards the third party support...  DS didn't have third party support in the year of being replaced ? I really ask. At least it had Pokemon black and white 2, a major first party software.

People even believed ( proof* ) Nintendo when it was saying that ds is not a replacement of gba in spite of all the similarities... Imagine with switch and 3DS!

*FAT DS sold only 18m between 2004-nov2006 and gba sales had just  the inevitable normal decline, fat ds didn't have any considerable effect on gba sales at least in the west.

Famitsu up.

Some discrepancy in Switch tracking.

Switch is holding good especially if we know that is still supply constrained, people saying that in most online stores Switch is still constantly sold out. I hope they will have enuf stock before MK8D and Golden Week at enuf at end of this month.

To suggest Wii U production was stopped because they feared Switch would affect it's sales is Ludicrous. Wii U production was not efficient and costly to Nintendo. There were reports of wii U's being produced and sitting around until they were sold years later. Why would Nintendo want to continue production? They would have been more then happy to stop when they did. Production more Wii U's would have been very financially unattractive to them.

On the other hand 3DS can actually sell respectable numbers and production is much more efficient. It makes sense to keep producing them while demand is high.

Around the Network

Looking forward to Nintendo earnings release for FY16Q4, will we see switch shipments total as of March and we can deduce the amount of stock by substracting sales ( Media create ) from shipments.

I wonder if the 3.0 update for Yokai Watch 3 can make the game go up the charts.

Still strong numbers for 3DS and Switch, glad to see the 3DS doing well despite selling alongside with the Switch

MC and Famitsu numbers are quite different too

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

think-man said:
Dreamcaster said:
Another good week for PS4! We've seen good growth year-on-year in the first quarter. Now, however, we're looking at a bit of a drought in software in the coming months, so this is where the challenge begins. It'll be a hard trek but the PS4's got a good chance of hitting 2 million in Japan 2017.

Hoping for a release date on GT Sports soon, that should push a few consoles. 

Yeah, that's true, but when do you think that'll actually release? I'm thinking that GT: Sport and DQXI are gonna land in Q4. If that's the case, then PS4 could have a rough Q2/Q3. Unless I'm missing a big realease or two?

Dreamcaster said:
think-man said:

Hoping for a release date on GT Sports soon, that should push a few consoles. 

Yeah, that's true, but when do you think that'll actually release? I'm thinking that GT: Sport and DQXI are gonna land in Q4. If that's the case, then PS4 could have a rough Q2/Q3. Unless I'm missing a big realease or two?

Not really anything too big but Final Fantasy XII HD and Tekken 7.