By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - 27th March - 2nd April

Farsala said:

All those Koei Tecmo games in the top 20, and yet they weren't the biggest flops for Koei Tecmo this week. KT also released ROTK XIII for Switch and apparently it broke a record.... selling <10% of its shipment. Quite disappointing to me, I fear similar flops may happen for other future niche 3rd party titles on Switch.

Haha, I forgot that was this week. Maybe it'll be in Dengeki top 50.

To be fair, that franchise does poorly everywhere really.

Around the Network
Dr.Vita said:
Nier and Horizon still doing very strong!

Really happy to see such a good weekly number for PS4 despite being one of the worst time periods in the year!

This isn't a bad time period though.

October-December is the best, but only because of December.  Jan-March is very close and might sometimes be better, due to how bad October is. Everything else is pretty bad, but not as bad as October.

To be real best 3 month period for Japan seems to be end of November to end of Feb, and then it slowly gets worse and worse over time until end of October, so March and April really isn't that bad.

RolStoppable said:
zorg1000 said:

if i remember correctly, didnt they say that they left the 1st party lineup a bit bare so that 3rd parties could have the spotlight?

Yes, that's true. During the Wii/DS era Iwata had to repeatedly address complaints of third parties that Nintendo software accounts for too high of a share of the total software sold, so for 3DS and Wii U the plan was to have less first party software titles initially in order to start off with a higher share for third party software.

The reality was that third parties didn't follow up on their complaints and instead pushed back the release dates of their planned games (or cancelled them) because the hardware wasn't selling at a high enough rate. This didn't have financial consequences for third parties, but of course for Nintendo because they couldn't all of a sudden release games that weren't intended to be finished sooner in the first place. Unforeseen delays for first party games only made this worse in the Wii U's case.

Nintendo isn't falling into the same trap with Switch. The strategy for Switch is to act according to what third parties do, not what they say.

Ahh! Now that explains a lot! I wonder why Nintendo listened to the 3rd parties anyway, after all, there was always a good chance of this happening. It's not like Nintendo needed 3rd parties during the 7th gen anyway.

The 3DS is just a cluster fuck for its first 7-8 months.

They thought Nintendogs would sell 20 million units to casuals again and they didn't need to do anything else. They did not see that they were about to get hit by a truck from their blind side either with mobile gaming. 

The bigger third party games promised to Nintendo (Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, etc.) did come out but any idiot could've just called those companies and would've gotten the answer that none of those games were going to be ready for the launch window, it was obvious all those games were in the extreme early stages of development even by 2010 you would've known that. 

Why did Nintendo knowing this not try to put together a better launch window? Because they thought consumers were stupid and would buy the thing for puppies (now *with* kittens! Oh WOW!) and a bunch of dumb AR 3D card games. 

Nintendo bungled that launch, plain and simple.

3DS era is puncuated by the fact that it started basically right with the Japanese tsunami/earthquake disaster ... an omnious sign of things to come for Nintendo that generation. 

From now on I imagine Nintendo will always launch major hardware with a big core IP that really is a must have game, they will never make the mistake of relying mostly on unreliable audience bases again. It's too risky and stupid. Get your core audience excited first, you cannot rely on those Wii Sports/Nintendogs/Brain Training/Wii Fit people. 

Kresnik said:
Farsala said:

All those Koei Tecmo games in the top 20, and yet they weren't the biggest flops for Koei Tecmo this week. KT also released ROTK XIII for Switch and apparently it broke a record.... selling <10% of its shipment. Quite disappointing to me, I fear similar flops may happen for other future niche 3rd party titles on Switch.

Haha, I forgot that was this week. Maybe it'll be in Dengeki top 50.

To be fair, that franchise does poorly everywhere really.

It's not the best, but it has its niche audience with a hefty price tag to keep profits.

[PS4] Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII with Power-Up Kit (Koei Tecmo, 02/16/17) – 7,719 (New) 

[PS4] Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 (Koei Tecmo, 01/28/16) – 20,101 (New)

[PS3] Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 (Koei Tecmo, 01/28/16) – 15,431 (New) 

And the game contributed to record profit for KT last year, thus funding all these ports.

As of March 31st 2016

ROTK XIII 180k JP and Asia

Not counting any other sales, seems pretty good. And the last port (Vita) is coming out in May. Just a shame these ports will probably flop.

Sources from MC and KT Financials.

Around the Network
Farsala said:

How do you know the sell-through? 

The game obviously sold like sh*t, but any sell-through number has been shared and I doubt retailers ordered many units after Nobunaga's performance.

Media Create Annual Archive (Spanish version)

http://zonaforo.meristation.com/topic/2246651/

hiska-kun said:
Farsala said:

The game obviously sold like sh*t, but any sell-through number has been shared and I doubt retailers ordered many units after Nobunaga's performance.

I don't actually know, just an assumption / rumor based on first day sellthrough

http://orenowebgo.hatenablog.jp/entry/2017/03/31/111504

6 new games released, Musou Stars, Mario, Blue, Re, Chaos and ROTK XIII.  Obviously you would understand it better than I.

Dr.Vita said:
Nier and Horizon still doing very strong!

Really happy to see such a good weekly number for PS4 despite being one of the worst time periods in the year!

How long can this golden run last?  Could it manage 25k+ for the next 4 weeks? 

I wonder which Switch numbers should I believe: Famitsu's or Media Create's

Farsala said:
hiska-kun said:

I don't actually know, just an assumption / rumor based on first day sellthrough

http://orenowebgo.hatenablog.jp/entry/2017/03/31/111504

6 new games released, Musou Stars, Mario, Blue, Re, Chaos and ROTK XIII.  Obviously you would understand it better than I.

Oh, I always read that blog but somehow I missed the RotK XIII one (didn't scrolled down lol). 

Yeah, 10% sell-through for first day. Should be higher for the total week, but nothing to make a difference.

Media Create Annual Archive (Spanish version)

http://zonaforo.meristation.com/topic/2246651/