By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Yooka Laylee Reviews - Meta: 67 [PS4], 73 [Xb1]

Exactly the same will happen to Shenmue 3. But the only review score that counts is the review score of the backers. They did not want a modern game, but a game that plays and feels exactly like the classics. And BK1 has been one of the very best games I played in my entire life so I am very happy that YL exists.

Around the Network

Eh, again, they bash non mainstream game because low budget and others better and later they will cry that there is nothing except first person shooters. The funny thing is that game reviewiers are the ones who shall at least support ideas like this game.
Cant the man understand that nothing can be perfect from the very beginning ? They need time/money to create really impressive game and well - case lost.

KingofTrolls said:
Eh, again, they bash non mainstream game because low budget and others better and later they will cry that there is nothing except first person shooters. The funny thing is that game reviewiers are the ones who shall at least support ideas like this game.
Cant the man understand that nothing can be perfect from the very beginning ? They need time/money to create really impressive game and well - case lost.

I would say many Indie developers have gotten a free pass just because they are different from the big AAA games and developers. I still look forward to Yooka-Laylee, but reviewers are not against Indies in any way, shape or form.

SpokenTruth said:
So let me get this straight. They are docking the game for being exactly what it promised to be.

That's my read on the situation so far. Won't know until I play it (Monday), though. Reading Sterling's review, it's a wonder he backed the project in the first place.

RolStoppable said:
h2ohno said:

Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts was heavily criticized for abandoning the platforming roots of the franchise and making a lego racing game instead.  An true Banjo Kazooie sequel would have gotten higher scores 10 years ago as long as it ran well and the camera worked.

The linked review aggregate is for the Xbox Live Arcade release of the original Banjo-Kazooie.

On topic: There's not much consistency in how indie games are getting reviewed. At times games get panned for doing something the old school way (like here), at other times they get praised despite being hopelessly outmatched by the games that inspired them.

Constant camera troubles, horrible framerate issues, and wonky colision issues and bugs - all reported in even positive reviews like Gamexplains - are not symptoms of doing it the "old school way"

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Nuvendil said:

Constant camera troubles, horrible framerate issues, and wonky colision issues and bugs - all reported in even positive reviews like Gamexplains - are not symptoms of doing it the "old school way"

I knew I should have added that the games that get praised should get lower metascores, not that Yooka-Laylee should get a higher metascore. It's also not that I have a problem with games getting penalized for technical issues. The actual issue is that some reviews were harsh because Y-L is a collectathon.

Some were, but the one people keep ragging on - Jim's - actually devotes little time to that and focuses mainly on control, bugs, slow down, bad level design, and a horendous camera.  Haven't read the two 4s though.

And older games were assessed based on what was known and expected at the time.  Yes, standards progress as time does.  Because we expect people to learn from the predecessors.

Mr Puggsly said:
Renna Hazel said:
Not completely unexpected, but it does sound like a lot of these reviewers don't/wouldn't like Banjo-Kazooie. The game looks good to me and most of the complaints in the reviews I read are not cause for concern. Some people just seem to think BK is outdated, I think it's better than almost any game that released this gen.

Old Rare fans are probably the whiniest of all console gamers. "You people don't appreciate these amazing games, you're all wrong! WHAAAA!!!" Bear in mind I've been playing Rare games since the NES days, but I've never been a big fan of their N64 games (KI Gold and Blast Corps were pretty good though).

All this talk about Yooka Laylee got me in the mood to try BK again (via Rare Replay). I spent almost two hours with it and I can appreciate some aspects, but its still boring to me. Its slow, the core gameplay is tedious, the combat is clunky, swimming is a nightmare, the camera is frustrating, etc. I just don't like this game and forcing myself to continue collecting crap isn't gonna change that.

I don't even think BK is outdated, it was always just boring to a lot of us. Meanwhile I can think of numerous N64 games that hold up well.

I'm not sure if that was directed at me (I assume it was since you quoted me) but I don't see how me loving Banjo is whining? Rare fans can't have opinions?

Renna Hazel said:

I'm not sure if that was directed at me (I assume it was since you quoted me) but I don't see how me loving Banjo is whining? Rare fans can't have opinions?

"Some people just seem to think BK is outdated, I think it's better than almost any game that released this gen. "

Liking BK is fine, but comments like that are asking for people to explain why BK kinda sucks even in its time.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Has a kickstarter game ever been good?

Lawlight said:
Has a kickstarter game ever been good?

pillars of eternity, Divinity Original Sin, Shantae half genie hero, thimbleweed park are some that i can think of right now.