By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Yooka Laylee Reviews - Meta: 67 [PS4], 73 [Xb1]

Mr Puggsly said:
Renna Hazel said:

Not really, based on reviews, people seem to think Banjo is outdated. That's all I was saying. Of course some people think the game sucked back then, no game is universally loved. In this case, one of the most common complaints is that it's outdated. For people like me, that's not a complaint to worry about. 

Any critic that says it feels too much like an N64 (outdated) game to be good, that's a stupid opinion and should be ignored.

Instead pay attention to critics who elaborate on what the game is doing poorly and where it falls flat. There are genuine complaints that would hurt any game.

Honestly, I find very few of them do that. I kept seeing "it's outdated" and was waiting to read why, but never got to that point. I've given up on reviews for this game, as seemingly no reviewer shares my opinion on the genre. I'll have to just go in blind to see if it's my style or not. 

Around the Network
Renna Hazel said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Any critic that says it feels too much like an N64 (outdated) game to be good, that's a stupid opinion and should be ignored.

Instead pay attention to critics who elaborate on what the game is doing poorly and where it falls flat. There are genuine complaints that would hurt any game.

Honestly, I find very few of them do that. I kept seeing "it's outdated" and was waiting to read why, but never got to that point. I've given up on reviews for this game, as seemingly no reviewer shares my opinion on the genre. I'll have to just go in blind to see if it's my style or not. 

Well Gamexplain and Jim Sterling explain it in plenty detail.  Jim obviously didn't like the game at all (had issues with the control, docked more points for horrible optimization, and perhaps most crushingly found the humor terrible), but both point out some clear issues that Gamexplain's videos show:

The minigames you that wall off some of the Pageies are utterly horrible with terrible controls, terrible design, and also look really slapdash as the game doesn't even have some kind of differentiating aesthetic, even when you are supposed to be playing a "retro arcade game".  And the game is also littered with quizzes that are apparently quite un-entertaining. 

The trasnformations range from underwhelming to bad, with little to no real diverse utility.

And above ALL else, the camera is absolutely horrible.  It jerks around, forces perspective changes often mid jump, isn't responsive in many instances. 

Jim put in a word on the controls, though this is a less universal issue, complaining mainly about the wide turns characters make and that the animations feel really stiltled when running.  The turn issue is one I can see as this is in Super Mario 64, BK and BT and was a recognized and fixed issue in platformers post 64. 

That's a sampling.  Some others complained that the level design communicate very poorly where you should go and lack identity. 

The details are out there.  Disagree if you want though, it's your money.

Backer Steam keys are out, I am so hyped for this game!

Nuvendil said:
Renna Hazel said:

Well Gamexplain and Jim Sterling explain it in plenty detail.  Jim obviously didn't like the game at all (had issues with the control, docked more points for horrible optimization, and perhaps most crushingly found the humor terrible), but both point out some clear issues that Gamexplain's videos show:

The minigames you that wall off some of the Pageies are utterly horrible with terrible controls, terrible design, and also look really slapdash as the game doesn't even have some kind of differentiating aesthetic, even when you are supposed to be playing a "retro arcade game".  And the game is also littered with quizzes that are apparently quite un-entertaining. 

The trasnformations range from underwhelming to bad, with little to no real diverse utility.

And above ALL else, the camera is absolutely horrible.  It jerks around, forces perspective changes often mid jump, isn't responsive in many instances. 

Jim put in a word on the controls, though this is a less universal issue, complaining mainly about the wide turns characters make and that the animations feel really stiltled when running.  The turn issue is one I can see as this is in Super Mario 64, BK and BT and was a recognized and fixed issue in platformers post 64. 

That's a sampling.  Some others complained that the level design communicate very poorly where you should go and lack identity. 

I admit I didn't read Jim Sterling's review as that's one opinion that is so far removed from my own that I don't take his reviews seriously. My understanding is that the camera issues will be addressed in a patch, hopefully that solves that problem. The rest of your post doesn't sound too encouraging but hopefully I don't consider these things to be a big problem, I didn't have an issue with the controls in the demo so hopefully the main game didn't change too much. 

I also don't disagree that there are detailed reviews, I just said I haven't seen many. I'm not reading through 50 reviews to have my questions answered. Even with your post, it still doesn't really tell me how the game compares to BK or BT. That's the main thing I'm curious to hear. Gamexplain did a decent job but they seem to think BK and BT are very similar. So yeah, I'll have to find out for myself to be sure. 

Renna Hazel said:
Nuvendil said:

I admit I didn't read Jim Sterling's review as that's one opinion that is so far removed from my own that I don't take his reviews seriously. My understanding is that the camera issues will be addressed in a patch, hopefully that solves that problem. The rest of your post doesn't sound too encouraging but hopefully I don't consider these things to be a big problem, I didn't have an issue with the controls in the demo so hopefully the main game didn't change too much. 

I also don't disagree that there are detailed reviews, I just said I haven't seen many. I'm not reading through 50 reviews to have my questions answered. Even with your post, it still doesn't really tell me how the game compares to BK or BT. That's the main thing I'm curious to hear. Gamexplain did a decent job but they seem to think BK and BT are very similar. So yeah, I'll have to find out for myself to be sure. 

A lot of it will be taste.  Some peopel hate when games don't learn from the past and such.  And of course humor is highly subjective and is a major part of this game's appeal or lack thereof.

Also, many of the performance issues are mitigated on PC if your rig is good.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
Renna Hazel said:

A lot of it will be taste.  Some peopel hate when games don't learn from the past and such.  And of course humor is highly subjective and is a major part of this game's appeal or lack thereof.

Also, many of the performance issues are mitigated on PC if your rig is good.

I'll be playing on PS4 so I really hope the performance issues are patched to playable level by release. I do think a lot of people looking forward to this game want something that resembles the past. I think Banjo-Kazooie is a near flawless game so I'm hoping to get that. Tooie was a mess at times so I do hope they learned from that game. Unfortunately every review I've read considers BK and BT to be exactly the same, so it's hard to tell which one YL is closer to when everyone says it's like both of them. 

It's just a few days away now, and some of the backers are getting their copies so hopefully some impressions from Banjo fans can shed some light on the pacing of the game. I'll be pretty upset if the backtracking formula from DK64 or Tooie is used in this game. 

etking said:

Backer Steam keys are out, I am so hyped for this game!

Yep!  Though I'm pretty sure we still have to wait till release day before we can play the game.  But either way, I'm glad to be this close to playing it.  I'm also curious how many of the complaints are legit, and how many of the legit complaint will be fixed post-release.

-Spambot-

Dulfite said:
Bandorr said:

No game -> no review.

"It's a bit too early to go into specifics with this version, but rest assured we're working directly with Nintendo to get it out as soon as possible for our many fans and Kickstarter backers on that platform. We're big Nintendo fans here, so it's very exciting to be working on Nintendo Switch."

Not even a word of the release date.

Which is stupid, considering, at least in my opinion, this game will sell the best to Nintendo fans.

nah it will sell best to banjo fans, most off which i would imagine defected to xbox ( atleast thats where i went for banjo and perfect dark)

Some critics are pretty harsh in my opinion. I mean for Retro gamers which complaint how games used to be better in the past this is the best thing to come out in a long time. If you are looking for an HD colourful game which could be amazing on N64 it is awesome. If you look for a modern 3D platformer it isn't. Still I would think a 5 is pretty much the lowest you could honestly give this. Yes the humor could be netter and the camera is terrible but there is good platform gameplay to be found in this game. The Rest is kind of meh but still. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar