By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The power gap between Scorpio and PS4 Pro might be greater than the Switch and the PS4 Slim.

Own a Pro....pre ordering a Scorpio.

Sony will always be in the lead.

The Scorpio will be a superior console at a higher price with better multi-plats at 4K/60 but lacking Sony exclusive.

Scorpio specs will laugh at the pro....but is that enough....highly unlikely.

But just like my pro is doing with my multi-play purchases currently the Scorpio wil do better, and have more money with better online. I'm exited to get mine, but the general consumer may not....

We shall see.....

I can afford it but if you had to make a choice most consumers will go with weaker hardware with more games, at a lesser price.

I choose both.....

Around the Network

Honestly the switch itself is a bigger threat to ps4 and xbone than ps4 pro or Scorpio. Look at how ps4 pro flopped while switch is sold out. Power is a factor but not the biggest factor. Hell I'd go as far as to say even games are a factor but not the biggest factor. Somehow consoles are more of an emotional decision than a rational one. The ps4 made you feel better than the xbone and Wii u made you feel nothing. That's the feeling of the masses not mine by the way. The switch is also making people feel good and if it continues to do so, it has a lot of milestones to cross in the sales department

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Radek said:
Rob5VGC said:

Huh? Are you saying that Phil and MS are false advertising to consumers about the Scorpio? ;)

We already know GPU is 50% more powerful in Scorpio.

We have no idea how powerful the GPU is in Scorpio.

Azzanation said:

There might not be much difference between Checkerboard rendering and 4k on screen however the power to render native 4k is still very huge.

The difference between Checkerboard and 4k is very dependent on allot of factors. The larger your screen, distance you sit from said screen, panel quality...  Can make a massive difference.

Plus then you have the games themselves. If a game isn't employing an expensive and high-quality AA method, then the difference becomes even more pronounced.

Displays with higher contrasts between light and dark tend to also show the aliasing effect more readily.
Checkerboard is slightly better than 1440P/1600P. It's not on the same level as 4k, it's a stop-gap measure to make up for inadequate hardware capabilities.

With that, if anyone thinks that Scorpio is going to be some magical 4k, 60fps powerhouse... Think again.

Locknuts said:
Ryzen? So 60+ fps in most games finally? About damn time.

I was hoping the Pro would do it, but its useless Jaguar CPU holds it back.

It's been confirmed that Scorpio will have 8 cores. The Ryzen Octo-chips start at $450 AUD. It's highly unlikely that it's going to end up in Scorpio, the chip is way to big, power hungry and expensive... And that is before we get to adding the GPU in there aswell.
More likely it will be Jaguar or Jaguar's successor, Aka. Puma/Puma+.

Jaguar is a good chip, for low-end cost effective platforms like a console, it allows for more hardware to be thrown at the GPU to draw the pretty pictures that everyone gets hyped about.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

GarlandSteve74 said:

If the Xbox Scorpio launches with a 3.0-3.5GHz Ryzen CPU and the 6TF Radeon GPU that has been rumored, the power gap between it and the PS4 Pro will be greater than the gap between the docked Nintendo Switch and PS4 Slim.

How does Sony respond?

PS5 announcement in 2018?

Another PS4 refresh with a more powerful CPU?

Will they be content having their 'Pro' console be half as powerful as their biggest competitor?

It will be very interesting to see what Sony does after touting the importance of power for the first 3 years of this generation! 

So now we switch (haha) from the nintendo fans delusions to xbox fans lunacy?

How much do you think a ryzen + 6tflop gpu will cost exactly?

And which math are you using to calculate the power difference between the switch and the ps4?

Btw there are no more "refreshes", next is the ps5 obviously.

The PS4 is kicking butt in the console sales wars. A console sales winner does not need to have the best tech system, it only needs to sell more console systems. A system that sells more console systems is a better system than a low selling system that has better tech.

The PS4 is the Michael Jordan of this console sales war. Microsoft's, Xbox Scorpio on paper is a bigger and stronger guy hoping to beat the Michael Jordan of the console sales war.

Around the Network
Turkish said:
GarlandSteve74 said:

How does Sony respond?

The question you need to ask is how does Microsoft respond to that? Will Scorpio be a huge cannon but without any cannon balls?

Dude you shouldn't take a list from 2015. There are already 5 games on there that are on Xbox One too. Possibly more in the future.

Turkish said:
GarlandSteve74 said:

How does Sony respond?

The question you need to ask is how does Microsoft respond to that? Will Scorpio be a huge cannon but without any cannon balls?

This. The "many more to come" is probably the most important part. All of the XBO's games are coming to PC, so it's going to be a very niche group of people who are going to be interested in the Scorpio, especially if that thing launches for more than $399. If it's $449 or, god forbid, $499, then its prospects are over. 

MS is basically screwed on both ends. They can try to put out a powerful system, but that'll increase the price to ~$499, making the $299-$349 Pro a much more attractive to the masses option for those who want a more powerful console. Or, they can get this thing out for $399, which limits what they can put in it, making the power gap not enough to warrant the extra $100 over the Pro.

A good question is will the Scorpio be fully compatible with XBO games, considering it's using a new memory set up? Will they have to force all devs to update their games to use the new unified memory pool?  And which devs are really going to push the system to its fullest if it sells poorly?  Will it just get Pro ports, instead?

And probably the biggest of all, what is MS going to do next year when we start hearing rumors of a 11-12Tflops PS5 that's actually using a Ryzen 1700 and a Vega 10? With possibly 8GB of HBM2 memory for games and 1-2GB of DRR4 for the OS?

Scorpio won't use a Ryzen CPU. It maybe, just maybe, will use an APU with zen architecture. Which already would be a big advantage. However, only exclusive games would really make use of that. And those exclusive games will all come to the PC. Where you can have 12+ TF right now and even more when Scorpio launches. So I fail to see the point in the console. But I'll probably buy it anyway, lol. ^^

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Barozi said:
Turkish said:

Dude you shouldn't take a list from 2015. There are already 5 games on there that are on Xbox One too. Possibly more in the future.

I think you get his point though being that Sony's response will be games (I'm not saying Scorpio won't get any). Whether you agree that games seem to be Sony's response, is up to you. And whether you think that'd be a good response, is up to you as well.

I think Scorpio will be a very enticing piece of hardware for a lot of people. Though, I think Switch will prove to be a bigger competitor to Sony.

Personally, I own a PS4 and will be buying a Switch down the line to play Zelda, Super Mario Odyssey, Smash 5 and the inevitable 3D mainline Pokémon game. I have zero interest in PS4 Pro and Scorpio.

Well the Scorpio has a big advantage already with 4extra GB's of Ram, which is also much faster and a confirmed 40% GPU advantage, I don't think the differnece will be as big as you say but the difference might be bigger between the Scorpio and PS4 pro then the PS4 to the PS4 pro.

Because the PS4 Pro is pretty much just a slight overclock and a new graphics card the scorpio seems to be replacing all components instead. Which is a big deal.

It doesn't matter I am a big supporter of the Scorpio and Xbox but the PS4 is already the console everyone buys and will continue to buy, your friends have a PS4 most likely and most games are being released on PS4 and many third party games from Japan are even skiping the Xbox completely.

The Scorpio should however be a console for everyone who wants the best possible experience in western games. Personally I think they will also bring some really good exclusives for people who don't own a high-end PC which will also make it a nice second console for people who already own a PS4.

The Scorpio will be the better mid-cycle upgrade most likely but its already to far behind in sales to damage sony in any way especially because a lot of people I know who have a PS4 want Xbox to fail instead of being happy about the moves they have made for the better, sure theres still a long road ahead but Xbox is getting better every year :)

Twitter @CyberMalistix