By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will sell better, Splatoon 2 or Mario Odyssey?

Tagged games:

What will sell better, Splatoon 2 or Mario Odyssey?

Super Mario Odyssey. 256 76.88%

Splatoon 2. 43 12.91%

Both will sell practically the same. 23 6.91%

Don't know. 11 3.30%

Total:333

Splatoon was a mega hit but the second one seems to be more of the same where Super Mario Odyssey looks like a more original and appealing mario, something that will sell much better then the last entry.

I expect Splatoon to do good and Mario to do amazing. I also think the switch will be lowered in price around the time Mario releases, giving it more room to do well especially if its bundled in with the console.

Mario will outsell splatoon 2 to 1

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

Why can people pick up Splatoon and have fun, and not pick up Mario and have fun?  The Mario games are not especially complex (less so than Splatoon), and sales have shown that they have very broad appeal.

Because the goal in Splatoon is far more simple to get into just fire your gun to make a mess and kill the opposing team all the while the game has high competitive depth as well, 3D Mario platformers tend to require a more avid approach with the player either needing to explore, solve puzzles, battle bosses and carry out specific tasks. This is why 2D Mario games outsell the 3D ones because the former are more simple and geared towards pick up and play, fact is 3D Mario is only really simple to an avid gamer not a casual gamer.

Most likely Super Mario Odyssey.

Splatoon will enormous success on the Switch and Mario Odyssey eclipse that success several times over :).

Miyamotoo said:
MegamiTensei said:
Mario will easily outsell it. More than easily. Splatoon 2 will sell less than Splatoon 1

I dont see any reason why would Splatoon 2 sell less than Splatoon 1. Switch instal base will definitely be much bigger, and Splatoon in handheld mode gave totally different dimension to game that will attract handheld lovers too, espacily in Japan.

The paywall behind Nintendos online will hurt Splatoon imo

Around the Network

Splatoon 2 is gonna sell more than the first one but Mario Odyssey is gonna be a huge epic hit, so I would say Mario.

Splatoon 2 may win in japan though.

MegamiTensei said:
Miyamotoo said:

I dont see any reason why would Splatoon 2 sell less than Splatoon 1. Switch instal base will definitely be much bigger, and Splatoon in handheld mode gave totally different dimension to game that will attract handheld lovers too, espacily in Japan.

doubt it, alot of the big Nintendo franchises are online-centric games, Pokemon, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Animal Crossing.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
MegamiTensei said:

doubt it, alot of the big Nintendo franchises are online-centric games, Pokemon, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Animal Crossing.

We'll agree to disagree. Until they justify people paying for online I'm not convinced. Still not sold on the Switch's success

Mario's probably the most recognizable video game figure so I can see Mario outselling Splatoon...

I must say that I'm surprised to see Splatoon 1 having sold over 4.5 million copies... I'm getting a warm, fuzzy feeling in my chest. Through all the doubt and skepticism (justified in my opinion), our cute little squids have made it.

I feel like a proud father.

I vote Mario.